What's So Good About Picking Up the Pieces ?

Southern Constellations...

Vic’s POV

We pulled up to our destination, and I checked Chesney’s reaction- she looked excited to me ! It was a beautiful day, cloudless and with hot sunshine pouring over the enormous open field. I hopped out of the van, and reached for Chesney’s hand. “Close your eyes !” I told her, tugging on her hand happily. I hurried over to the building where we would set up before we played our gig. A local band had been set to play, but when they cancelled, Tony, Mike, Jaime, and I offered to fill in. Our band was called Pierce the Veil, and we did international tours normally, but a small gig like this would be fun. I laughed at Ches’ expression, which was somewhat bewildered. I lead her outside to the front of the stage, where I climbed on and pulled her with me. She looked like she was afraid of getting in trouble, and I could see that she wasn’t comprehending. “Oh, we’re going to see a band !” She finally said, looking at me for confirmation. Mike tossed me my guitar, and I put it on, and glanced at Ches. Understanding sparked her eyes, and she stepped back a little. I shuffled towards the microphone, and warmed up my singing. Soon enough the guys joined me and we were full on trying to impress her. And by the look on her face, it was working.

I kept my eyes on her, taking in her reaction. It was like showing her another part of me, and it felt different to show this side of me last instead of first. I had always been ‘Vic of Pierce the Veil’ before I was just Vic. I sang ‘Kissing in Cars’ for her, laying on the romance. When we were done, I walked over to Chesney and she kissed me before I could say anything. “That was amazing, wow.” She told me honestly, and I blushed at her praise. “Uh…surprise.” I told her, laughing a little. I really hoped she was enjoying herself as much as I was. We started to walk back towards the building, and I continued on. “We play at three and end at six, and after we can ride rides if you want...” I kind of trailed off, leaving the sentence open. She all but yanked me into the hallway leading to the stage and kissed me again. I pushed her lightly against the wall and kissed her in return, letting my hand tangle itself in her long locks.

She broke away from the moment, too soon for me. I let my gaze run from her jaw to her eyes, and I went in for one more kiss before I lead her out into the sunshine once again.

It was early, so the lines were non-existent. We walked onto every ride we tried, which made me happy because we didn’t have a lot of time before I performed. Chesney seemed to just let go and enjoy the moment, I could see in her eyes how long she’d been waiting for release. In a way, it made me kind of sad, because that meant her life wasn’t as happy as it should be. And she deserved so much more than pain and suffering. I vowed to give that to her, and then I let it all go too.
Pretty soon it was time for the gig, and I let Chesney go backstage. I wasn’t nervous for the small crowd, but I was nervous to perform more songs in front of Ches. What if she didn’t like them ? Heck, I didn’t even know if she was into this kind of music…. Well performing was performing and I focused on the crowd instead.

We ended up doing two encores and going later than planned, and I felt a little bad about that. But I suppose as long as the fans had a great time it didn’t matter; this was all for them. After all, without them we would be nothing. A pretty nice crowd ended up showing up; not too big, not too small.
As I exited the stage, Chesney jumped up to help out with the cleanup. After that was finished, I suggested we ride some more rides. Carnivals are way more fun at night, with their lights on, especially on a great night like this. The sun was going down and night was settling in, like a blanket over new bedsheets. Our first ride, the scrambler, forced us to be seated practically on top of one another, not like I minded in the least. Chesney was so delicate, her body squishing against mine was like nothing. Her hair whipped in my face, and it smelled like strawberries, fresh and sweet. And God, I loved that rose tattoo under her ear. When we reached the Ferris wheel, I rolled my eyes at the sight of Mike womanizing a group of girls. Chesney and I sat on the cushy bench provided on the ride, and I slid over next to her and placed my arm around her shoulders. I saw her smile as she looked at the ground, then back up at me. Her hazel eyes sparkled in the light from the ride, and her hair blew softly around her face. I honestly don’t think she knew how beautiful she was. I tucked a tendril of hair behind her ear, and said softly “I like your tattoo.” She blushed and kissed my cheek softly. I couldn’t help but kiss her lips, biting softly on them. She was driving me insane with her beauty and her personality…well her everything, really. I leaned back, head tilted toward the sky.

The stars were amazing, there were so many…. The sky was like velvet, and it seemed so close, almost as if I could touch it. I realized it was because we were at the very top of the Ferris wheel at that point. The stars had made me want to sing ‘Southern Constellations and The Boy Who Could Fly’ so I softly muttered some of the words, half-wondering if Ches could even hear me. “Looks like we’re going to be stuck up here for a while,” She said, and I could hear the smile in her voice. “I don’t mind that at all,” I told her truthfully, leaning towards her.

I’m so in love with this girl, I realized.