You Keep Me Safe and I Will Keep You Wild

Letting Everything Take It's Course

Evgeni’s POV
We were forced to sit in the small excuse for a waiting room while we waited to hear what had happened but Kodi had already been preparing herself for this, she was ready in her mind to lose her dad.

“You not give up,” I knelt down in front of her holding onto her hands.
“He will be better off,” she tried to reason.
“And you?” I pressed.
“I will just have to deal with it,” she shrugged.
“Kodi,” I sighed.
“Don’t tell me how I should feel about this,” she got up and began pacing the room.

I sat back down and watched her as she bit her lip nervously and walked back and forth in front of me.

I had no clue how she was going to react, at first she was holding on to me and now she was pulling back. Something told me this was going to happen. She had been on her own for so long why would she come running to someone now?

One thing that goes out the window when you are in a hospital is time. You can sit there for 10 minutes and it feels like hours or you can sit there for hours and it feels like forever. But then once you are called in it doesn’t matter how long it took because you only want to know if the person you care about it is ok.

As we walked down the hall towards his room my hand brushed Kodi’s so as a reaction I tried to grab it. But Kodi being Kodi pulled away and I was left feeling a little stupid.

I couldn’t just go forcing myself onto her. I had no real rights around her, no boyfriend title, nothing. We were just friends, granted friends that had slept together and on more than one occasion but we still weren’t together.

I kept back as she walked over to her father’s bedside. As much as I didn’t want to come to that conclusion there was no way he was going to come back from this.

“Evgeni,” she sat down in the chair next to his bed.
“Yeah?” I moved forward shoving my hands in my pockets.
“Maybe you should go,” she looked over and the bed and grabbed his hand.
“But you wanted me…”
“I know,” she looked down, “I know, but right now I just need to be alone.”
“Ok, call me later,” I stepped forward and kissed her forehead before reluctantly leaving her.

I had practice to go to but that wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do right now.

“Hello Zhenya,” Ruslan smiled as I walked into the locker room.
“Hi,” I ignored him and flopped down in my stall.
“What’s wrong?” Sergei slid closer on one side and Ruslan on the other.
“Nothing.”
“Oh come on, you have disappeared off the face of this earth and now you just show up,” Sergei waved his hand around in front of his face.
“Kodi’s dad is in hospital…”
“Oh sorry,” he stopped himself.
“It’s fine, it was going to happen anyways,” I got up and headed into medical room to see Chris about shoulder and as an excuse to get away from them.

It was stupid of me to be thinking this way but I knew there was nothing I could do for Neil. He was sick and it was bound to happen sooner or later I just wished it wasn’t now. Everything with Kodi was going along so well and now I was more than likely going to have to start again.