You Keep Me Safe and I Will Keep You Wild

So I am Not A Saint

Kodi’s POV
Christmas had always been spent just me and my dad. Opening a simple present from one another, enjoying a nice lunch and then spending the day on the couch watching movies.

It wasn’t much more then that even now but with my father sick it wasn’t much of a Christmas. It sure didn’t feel like it. Especially after how I had been acting.

“Kodi stop it!” dad grabbed my glass of wine which had been the fourth or fifth of the night.
“Why should I?!” I snatched it back.
“Because if you don’t you are going to end up like me!”
“Well maybe that is just inevitable.”
“It doesn’t have to be Kodi, you can change,” his eyes were pleading with me.
“Well maybe I don’t want to change, maybe I am happy with my life just the way it is.”
“What being a slut? Sleeping with every single guy you can get your hands on.”
“Oh fuck you,” I walked off into my room finding a bag to throw whatever it was I could into it.
“And where do you think you are going?” he followed trying to grab it from me.
“Anywhere that you aren’t!” I stormed off and went outside.

Kodi what are you doing? Why are you doing this? He only does it because he cares about you. Why be a complete bitch about it?

Honestly I was absolutely terrified of ending up like my dad. With the amount I drank I was surely going to head down the same pathway as him. Maybe not exactly the same way, maybe not a stroke but there was no way I was getting out of this world scot free.

“Kodi what are you doing here?” I stood on the front porch of my best friend’s house.
“Cameron,” I fell into his arms feeling so overwhelmed with emotions.
“Are you ok? What happened?” he held me to him running his hand through my hair which was the calmest I had felt in a while.
“I had a fight with my dad,” I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face into his chest.

“Cameron who is it?” his mother walked around the corner and stopped when she saw me, “Kodi? Sweetie what’s wrong?” she put her arms out, “where is your father?”
“He’s at home we had a fight again,” I cried as she held me.

Cameron’s mother, Helen was like a mother to me. She was there for me through so much since my mother was never around. The awkward teenage years, the first boyfriend all the stuff that no one likes to talk about but it happens. She was there.

“Come inside dear, get changed into something warm and have something to eat. Cameron get her a towel.”
“Mum I can handle it,” he put his hand out for me and led me down to his bedroom.

“Sorry for just barging in on your Christmas like this, I didn’t know where else to go,” I stood in the middle of his room freezing cold.
“No its ok mum and dad were getting ready to leave anyway so it would be nice to have some company around here,” he pulled me into a hug.
“Yeah looking after my dad is getting harder and harder, he is so stubborn sometimes.”
“Like father like daughter,” he laughed.
“Shut up.”

“Now go take a shower and I will be sure to get rid of my parents before you’re done.”
“Ok,” I sighed as he pressed a kiss to my forehead and left.

I missed having Cameron around. Once my dad got sick I pushed out a lot of people but pushing Cameron away wasn’t on my to-do list, he just got mixed up in the process.

“They are gone,” he smiled opening the bedroom door as I stood in the middle of his room in just a towel.
“Well that’s good,” I smiled as he shut the door and walked over to me.
“Let me make everything better,” he hooked his arm around me and pulled me to him.
“I bet you can,” I moaned as he kissed my neck.

Ok so maybe Cameron and I were more than just friends. Maybe more than best friends. But what we wanted from each other was clear between us. We understood each other, had our whole lives. He was my best friend to talk to, to get everything off my mind but how we did that probably wasn’t the most conventional way. But for us it worked.

“What would I do without you?” I panted as I wrapped myself around him.
“Probably crash and burn,” he smiled dropping a kiss to my forehead.
“Probably.”