Making Up.

Night & Day.

Hello' 'hey, you good?' 'I'm Lucy, can I take your picture?' 'really?' 'I run a blog called about the people I meet in Phoenix, you looked interesting, so I just thought you looked an interesting guy, so can I take a picture I'll ask you a question to go with it, leave you alone?' 'ok' 'I'll take the picture' John nodded, 'ok' she smiled letting him relax, 'it's part of my final piece for university too' 'cool, so ask me your question' she looked at him, 'what's the most thing you're most proud of?' John smiled, 'this is easy' 'ok' 'I'm in a band, and our label said our album wasn't good enough, so we released it independently and we did alright, did a world tour' 'what was it called?' 'Pioneer, it's by my band The Maine' she nodded, 'I'll download later, what's your name?' 'I'm John' 'and, your age' '25' 'thank you' 'no problem' he smiled as she sat down next to him, 'is this picture ok?' 'fine' 'good, see you' John nodded, 'ok, see you' he thought it over a bit, 'Lucy wait up!'

John brought her a cocoa, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ as she took a sip, ‘you are?’ ‘oh, I’m 21’ John smiled, ‘when are you 22?’ ‘the 24th of January’ ‘so you have 3 weeks?’ ‘I do indeed’ Joh smiled, ‘got plans?’ ‘no, it’s not special, and to be honest I’m more an innie, I just like meeting different people, I started the blog, to help my confidence, I thought if I could just talk to anyone it would help, then the blog got popular and actually that helped more cos then I felt I had a purpose’ John smiled ‘I’m more an innie too, but I like driving out you know’ ‘I guess I like solitude, I’m not a innie’ ‘that!’ laughing a little, ‘much more accurate, I do think Arizona is my new home for those reasons because it has so many places to be alone which are nice places to be’ John smiled as she sipped her drink cream got her nose, ‘you have cream on your nose’ ‘oh, thank you’ wiping it off she licked it off her finger, John smiled, ‘so, do you make money from it?’ ‘some advertising, not much’ ‘do you have a job?’ ‘I am a trust fund kid, I’ll be honest’ ‘you don’t seem a typical one’ ‘good’ John laughed.

'So, where did you move from?' 'Philadelphia' 'and you didn't hang in with the rich kids did you?' 'my dad won the lottery, they would never have accepted me, everyone changed but me, I still saw The Wonder Years play on tour, I still saw all the bands I love play, I still bought just one shirt at the merch stand, still took pictures, people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing' John smiled, 'I think I dress the same too, though it's nice to get a new pair of boots sometimes' John smiled, 'I find you interesting, you wear your flaws on your sleeve' 'I don't really care too much what people feel about me, to be honest now, back when I was younger I would sit and panic over it, but actually no one cares, when I went into a party, no one was looking at me, anxiety is the most self centred feeling, cos it feels like the world is watching you' 'how about your parents' 'they actually are glad I'm quiet, my brother blew his money on Vegas, and dumb shit' John smiled, 'good parents' 'the best' 'good'.

'You know when you don't wanna go, but you feel like you should' 'I have the feeling about you too' 'have you heard, you must like The Rolling Stones?' 'of course' 'Let's spend the night together' she whispered in his ear, he smiled, 'ok, but I don't want to have sex with you, it's not like that, this feels different' 'then we'll sleep, it's not that need I need satisfying' he grinned, 'ok' taking her hand and heading for his apartment, 'do you wanna listen to records, maybe some stones' 'sounds good' curling up on his sofa, John wrapped an arm round her resting her legs on his lap, he caressed them softly, 'I really like your company' 'mutual, but don't talk, it's much better' John chuckled, 'sorry' resting her head on his chest, John breathing her in falling asleep like that the record still turning when he woke up and she was gone, 'apologies, I had a class! Thank you for the perfect company x' her number written under the note, he grinned, 'so were you darling' texting her.

-x-

John smiled, ‘you’re a very popular man’ John smiled, ‘good to know’ ‘I got a few more followers’ ‘I follow now’ ‘oh, cool’ John nodded, ‘I missed you’ taking her hand, ‘missed you too, you looked quite beautiful asleep, it was a pull to leave but I had a thesis supervisor meeting and he already gets mad at me’ John smiled, ‘so, what would you like to do?’ ‘hmm, there’s a bowling alley with a bar close by?’ ‘sounds like an idea’ John smiled walking inside, ‘do we need to change shoes?’ ‘no, cos these boots are not coming off, it took long enough getting them on’ John smiled, ‘I like them’ ‘good’ laughing a little, ‘so, any good?’ ‘on a wii, I’m a pro’ John laughed, ‘you need to get out more’ ‘you are not the first’ laughing a little putting names in and getting balls, ‘prepared to be amazed’ ‘oh, really?’ ‘you can be amazed bad and good’ John laughed.

'Excellent game sweetheart' 'thank you' laughing and heading for the bar she got beers, 'I lost, I buy the round, passing over cash and showing I.D, John smiled sitting on a stool, 'are you staying tonight?' John asked softly, 'I kinda hoped you would ask' John grinned, 'good' sipping his drink 'so, wanna get food' 'how about we pick up noodles take them home, put on some of those Petty records you have?' 'you like Tom Petty' 'I like Wildflowers' 'good' 'and Full Moon Fever' 'good' laughing a little and heading for the chinese close by she ordered Chow Mein, and then headed for his apartment in Chandler opening the boxes, he smiled, 'so, are you going to wake me up in the morning?' 'I promise' he grinned, 'good, up for talking?' 'of course, it just seemed right' 'it was, it felt right' he smiled, 'good' 'did you download?' 'I'd rather you tell me to be honest' he grinned, 'I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, records are personal things' John nodded, 'thank you for that' 'no problem'.

'You have a nice place, I share with three other girls who think I'm a weirdo, and are justified in that I suppose' John laughed wrapping his arms round her, 'well, I'm on tour again' 'I know, you said an acoustic thing' 'it's seven dates and I have a show in Manila' 'cool, well I'll see you at the end darling' he smiled, 'you're my darling' 'I could come and visit if you'd like' 'I'll put you on the guestlist San Francisco if you would like?' 'sounds good, pop in to see my mum I think, bakes a good cake' John laughed, 'ok, be good to see you there' 'only if you don't mind' 'not at all my sweet' 'good' he grinned, 'I see you like philosophy, I take some philosophy courses on coursera, anything you recommend?' 'what's coursera..' talking all evening, John walked to bed with her, 'it's a little cold' 'would you like me to keep you warm' 'hmm, I understand why people can be sick of sleeping alone now' John smiled, 'me too' falling asleep holding her.

-x-

John smile seeing her in a sweatshirt from the merch stand, ‘I don’t wanna be corny, but it’s bloody freezin” John laughed, ‘it’s good to see you’ walking to the bus with her, ‘lookin’ good though, it’s quite sweet, and you being so short’ she smiled covering her hands with the sleeves, ‘thank you’ ‘guys, this is Lucy’ ‘oh, it’s nice to meet you’ ‘I follow your blog, before he appeared quite the shock’ she laughed, ‘I apologise for not knowing who you were, your guitarists, the guitarists are really good, if you ever need a violinist’ they laughed, ‘just you know steal me’ ‘got any favourites?’ ‘oh, Blood Red was really good and Love and Drugs’ she smiled, ‘I’m sorry I’m no expert on this coast, we just get angry and scream about our ex’s, we don’t go all poetic about it’ laughing, ‘prove it’ ‘The Wonder Years, All Time Low, A Day To Remember, need I say more, saying that this coast has Ryan Adams, so’ ‘exactly!’ laughing.

John smiled holding her waist heading out on the town with a lot of her help, ‘it will feel odd not sleeping with you tonight’ ‘I feel bad as it’s your birthday tomorrow darling, you should stay?’ ‘it’s her birthday?’ Gare added, ‘yes, I’m 22, I don’t celebrate-’ ‘oh, come on you should’ ‘you don’t have the champagne tastes, but do you mind, one bottle?’ John laughed, ‘don’t take me so literally, you go ahead’ ordering a bottle she poured out glasses, ‘I don’t know about you, but I’m celebrating being 22’ laughing, ‘cheers’ John laughed clinking glasses, ‘so are you John’s girlfriend?’ ‘she is’ ‘I am’ laughing a little finishing drinks, John pulled on her hand, ‘I’ve not kissed you’ ‘wait’ she checked her watch, ‘it’s 01:37, it’s my birthday, go ahead’ he grinned kissing softly, holding his cheeks, ‘are you going to miss much?’ ‘what in a week on an acoustic tour?’ ‘yeah?’ ‘no not really, I’ll say I have a cold send in my work’ John smiled, ‘good, I’d love you to take pictures for us’ ‘I wouldn’t mind hearing that again’ ‘good’.

John smiled getting back to his place with her, ‘we could always you know go to bed’ he grinned, ‘are you sure?’ ‘pretty sure’ he smiled, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, it’s been my best birthday so far’ he grinned, ‘good’ kissing deeply, her dress falling off her frame her dress pooling on the floor she stepped from her heels, John chuckled, ‘you’re so short’ ‘don’t be mean’ ‘I think it’s cute, I love the underwear’ ‘it’s not matching, but I didn’t plan ahead’ John laughed as his jeans fell on the floor and she begun unbuttoning his shirt, ‘amazed I don’t need a stepladder to kiss you’ ‘thank you baby’ sweeping her off her feet and carrying her, ‘is it your first time?’ ‘I’ve seen porn, it’s ok’ John laughed, ‘it’s not the same’ ‘well, no I hope I’m not faking it’ John chuckled making love all evening.

-x-

6 months later:-

'Congratulations!' 'thank you' John smiled kissing her deeply, her flatcap falling off, 'Lucy, your cap, you must be John' 'I am' 'this is mum Helena' 'nice to meet you Ma'am' 'you're right, they are much more polite in the south aren't they' 'John is the gentleman, his songs are almost oxymoronical' her mum laughed, 'I'm glad you graduated since you've been travelling so much' 'it's all good, got a 2.1 in photography, I'm good' 'I have no idea how you do it, I apologise, but it is nice to meet you, Lucy said you were lovely and she's a good judge of character' John smiled, 'it's good to meet you too' 'excellent, can I buy you dinner, what are the good restaurants round here?' 'I will take you to the best pizza place' 'we've tried most of them' laughing and heading for a pizzeria in Phoenix.

'So are you moving back home?' 'no, I am not' Lucy eating a slice, 'I thought you would be' 'what gave you that impression?' 'I don't know, I guess things have changed for you since John arrived' he grinned, 'things have, I like Arizona, it has some interesting people and I found him' 'you said it's politics was so backward it makes the special class look like progressives' 'that's true' John laughed, 'sorry' 'it's ok, I met some while I was taking pictures outside the senate building, so rude, but Kyrsten she was nice and she represents our district, so I'm good' John smiled, 'is she on your blog?' 'she is indeed' John smiled, 'and California elected the terminator, I know where I'd rather be, can't stop, won't stop now' John poked her, 'sorry' laughing, 'it's like you people have your own code' 'don't stop now' John shaking his head.

John smiled at her, ‘thank you for staying’ ‘it was easy’ John grinned heading back to their place and getting in, ‘you didn’t like Arizona?’ ‘I guess for a bit, I hated my flatmates they picked on me for a while’ ‘ahh, right’ John nodded, ‘I remember you saying something’ he smiled, ‘it’s why you got the house and now live in Phoenix’ ‘I’m just glad you didn’t mind leaving Tempe’ ‘of course I don’t mind, if it means being with you’ John smiled parking up in the garden, ‘I love this house, I’m just glad I’m allowed to share it with you’ John smiled, ‘me too’ taking her hand and heading for the kitchen she begun cooking food, ‘I think your mum wants you home, you know?’ ‘I know she wants a carer for when she grows old and I’m not doing it, I have my own plans’ John smiled, ‘good, darling’ ‘it does make me feel a little guilty, but I want a family in the future’ ‘me too’ John smiled, ‘good’.

John looked at her, ‘what’s wrong?’ ‘nothing, I guess it’s odd that’s it over’ ‘you’re so busy though!’ ‘I know, All Time Low and Warped, but still weird and I have to work on the lookbook site for 8123 too’ John smiled, ‘I know darling, I have 2 weeks with you, it’s ok’ kissing her hand ‘I’m going to miss you so much, you’re like a craving’ he grinned, ‘well, I’m coming to see you at Warped and we’ll have time after’ she nodded, ‘course’ he smiled, ‘it’s just weird’ John smiled, ‘I’m going to miss you too darling’ ‘good, I would hate to think it’s a one way street’ laughing a little, we’ll be ok sweetie, and you’re living the dream’ ‘true’ laughing a little talking over dinner all night.

John smiled seeing her off to Warped, ‘you must be Lucy!’ ‘I am indeed, it’s lovely to meet you’ Alex smiled meeting her, ‘and you’re highly recommended’ ‘well, yes’ he laughed, ‘so, looking forward to touring with us’ ‘girlhood dream, definitely’ Alex laughed, ‘good’ laughing a little, ‘so, you’re taken right?’ ‘I am indeed, I’m pretty lucky, I thought all of you were’ ‘not Jack’ laughing a little, ‘ok, well, I don’t know how that’s relevant’ ‘oh, it’s just you have boobs and Jack has a dick’ ‘fair’ laughing, ‘have you ever thought of doing a book?’ ‘hmm?’ ‘well, there’s a lot of pictures of you and it’s been ten years, book from the begginning to the end, instead of Tumblr creeping on them?’ Alex laughed, ‘how do you know?’ ‘cos they write porn about my boyfriend’ Alex laughed choking on his beer, ‘you are my new favourite person’ laughing.

-x-

2 years later:-

John smiled as she came in, ‘hey baby’ ‘hey Johnny’ kissing him softly, as he spun her close to him, throwing her case down, ‘you came home with all the merch again didn’t you?’ she nodded softly, John chuckled, ‘I love you so much’ ‘I love you too’ kissing him softly, ‘so, whose?’ ‘the best ones with the best designs?’ opening her old vintage case and John laughed, ‘so we have all the All Time Low’ ‘I’m a sucker for them’ ‘The Wonder Years’ she nodded removing them, ‘Neck Deep?’ ‘good band’ he smiled, ‘Tom Petty?’ ‘ahh, shit’ an envelope falling out, ‘what?’ ‘it’s your gift’ passing him the envelope, he was puzzled, ‘happy birthday Johnny’ he grinned opening the letter his jaw dropping, ‘we’re invited to record with Tom Petty in his studios?’ ‘yes’ John hugging her with a grin, ‘thank you so much!’ kissing her deeply and picking her up, ‘bed’.

'The most annoying thing is that I was going to propose' Lucy smiled, 'be pre-nup if you don't mind but I'm down' 'pre-nup?' 'not on my order, my parents' 'course' he smiled, 'I'll sign anything to have you, I don't give a shit' 'I know' kissing him softly, 'I know I'm going to spend my life with you, I don't care but you know what they're like, they've been weird since I said' 'about not moving back' 'exactly' she sighed, 'when do you want kids?' John asked, 'well, is about 7 and a half months ok?' John looked at her, 'sorry?' 'I'm 6 weeks' she mumbled, John grinned looking at her, 'serious?' she nodded softly, 'I wasn't going to tell you yet but you know it's a good day' John held her tight, 'I love you' 'I love you too' 'can we still have sex?' 'absolutely, it's recommended' 'touring and baby?' 'don't worry, I've lived enough, and I like doing the designing now and the lookbooks, I'll be fine' 'you sure, you can always come with us anyway, bring it with us' 'exactly' kissing him softly, 'I love you' 'I love you too' she wiped her eyes, she was so glad he didn't ask dumb questions.

Lucy held John's hands breathing deeply, 'it's ok' 'yeah amazingly ok, I'm just in crazy pain' takin gas and air, 'well, it will be ok eventually' 'you're so deep' John smirked, 'you are never coming near me again' 'don't worry sir, they're often like this' 'good to know' as Lucy begun to push, hours later John Cornelius O'Callaghan the Sixth arrived, 'he's gorgeous' John grinned looking, 'he is' 'takes after his dad' John blushed as Lucy smiled, 'we did good, would you like to hold him Johnny?' 'please!' as Lucy passed her son to him, 'you bake well' 'thank you' 'this little one is gonna be my page boy, we'll get married when he can walk!' 'ok' Lucy nodded, 'we're good right' 'we're good' Lucy grinned, 'but I really need some sleep' 'baby, you earnt it'.
they lived happily.