Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chapter 19

The next couple of weeks were hard for the couple, the paparazzi were all over them, hounding Adam with questions about the mysterious female from Vegas and nagging Stacy about staying with a cheater. They held a united front and eventually the situation fizzled out, allowing things to go back to normal.........or so they thought.

One night Adam had cooked Stacy dinner at home, surprising her when she came home from her day shift, which was the shift she switched to after having Evelyn. He had made her favorite, cheese ravioli with Caesar salad and garlic bread. He had fed Evelyn a little early and put her in her swing so she could sit by the table while he and Stacy enjoyed their dinner.

They were making small talk about her day when Adam’s phone rang. He glanced at the screen and saw that it was his publicist but he chose to ignore the call, not wanting to be rude.

He was just taking a bite of food when it rang again, seeing that it was Jerry, his publicist again he figured he better answer it.

“Sorry sweetheart, it’s Jerry.” He excused himself from the table and went into the other room. He heard Stacy engage Evelyn in cute conversation, making him smile.

“Hello?” Adam asked.

“Adam, we’ve got a huge problem.” Jerry spoke, his voice was quick and he seemed nervous.

“What’s wrong?” Adam asked.

“That chick from the Vegas pictures?” Jerry said, waiting for Adam to confirm he knew who he was talking about.

“What about her? I thought that was behind us.” Adam was annoyed that people couldn’t seem to get over it.

“It’s definitely not behind us,” The man was starting to scare Adam.

“What’s going on?” Adam asked, he was tired of Jerry beating around the bush.

“She just went public, saying that she got pregnant after having a one night stand with you in Vegas,” That one statement sent Adam’s world spiraling down all around him. He felt dizzy, he felt like he was going to throw up.

“What?!” Adam exclaimed, he tried to keep his voice down so Stacy wouldn’t hear him. “I did not fucking sleep with that bitch! She’s making it up!”

“Well even if she is making it up, the press is going to have a field day with this!” Jerry said.

“What the fuck am I going to do? Stacy’s never going to believe me now and we just got back on track!” Adam was pacing the room.

“You better figure it out fast because this story is about to blow wide open and trust me, you want to be the one to tell her.” Jerry and Adam said their goodbyes and Adam took a deep breath, trying to collect his thoughts before going back to the dining room.

“Everything okay?” Stacy asked as he re-entered the dining room and took his place at the table.

“Yeah,” He paused and looked over at her. “Actually no, things are really not okay.”

Stacy put her fork down and turned to Adam, clearly confused. “What? I don’t understand, what’s wrong?”

“Stacy, there’s no easy way to say this but,” Adam took her hand in his, hoping she would hear him out. “The woman, from Las Vegas and those tabloid photos….”

“What about her?” Stacy furrowed her brows, wondering where this conversation was headed.

“She uh…” Adam cleared his throat and just went for it, “She just came out with a statement that she’s pregnant.” He paused and waited to see what her reaction would be but she stared at him, “She said she got pregnant with my baby after we had a one night stand.”

It took a moment for the words to sink in but as soon as they did Stacy ripped her hand away from Adam’s, “I knew it! How could I be so foolish as to believe you didn’t sleep with her?”

Stacy stood from the table and started pacing around the room.

“Baby I didn’t sleep with her! She’s making this whole thing up! I swear to you, I will do everything in my power to prove to you that this baby is not mine!” Adam stood up and tried to embrace her but she pulled away from his grasp.

“Don’t touch me! Don’t ever touch me again!” She was starting to cry, Stacy turned on her heel and ran to their bedroom, throwing anything she could into a duffle bag before heading into Evelyn’s room and doing the same.

“Stacy please! Don’t do this, don’t leave. I swear to you that I did not sleep with her! She’s lying because she wants something! She probably wants my money or just the publicity! I didn’t fucking have a one night stand! I wouldn’t do that to you!” Adam was pleading with her, saying anything he could to make her stay but she wouldn’t listen.

“I’m taking the baby; I can’t be around you right now.” She picked Evelyn up out of her swing and put the duffle bag over her shoulder, “I can’t even stand to look at you right now.”

Stacy was devastated, she took Evelyn and quickly put her in her car seat before throwing their bags in the back seat and starting the car. She sat there for a moment, trying to stop the tears from falling so she could drive. She figured she’d go to her parents; she didn’t really have anywhere else to go. She looked up as she put the car into gear and saw Adam standing on the front steps, she could tell that he was crying at this point. She watched in the rearview mirror as he punched the side of the house as she drove out of their driveway. She wiped away the fresh wave of tears that stated to fall again, realizing that she may have just walked away from him forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well there you have it! :) I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks again to those of you that have read and left me a comment. You guys seriously brighten my day and encourage me to write more so keep the feedback coming!