Status: In progress, lovelies <3

I Don't Mind If You're Overrated

High School, Custody, and Crushes

The next morning, I woke up sprawled across the couch. I saw Drew laying on the floor facedown, and Shayley fell asleep at the kitchen table. Austin must have put this blanket on me before going to his bunk. I smiled at the sweet gesture. Austin was a sweet guy in general. My celebrity crush on him is kinda pathetic, but whatever.
“Drew,” I mumbled, trying to wake him up. “Drew.”
“Mmphmh,” he moaned against the floor.
“Wake up, fucker. It’s…” I checked the time, “10:30 am.”
“Shit! We’ve missed school!” he yelled, jumping up and pacing frantically.
“It’s Saturday,” I laughed.
“Both of you go back to sleep!” Alan yelled from his bunk.
“No!” Drew called back.
“So last night you seemed to like Alan,” I whispered, winking and nudging Drew’s ribs.
“I’m willing to bet he’s not gay,” Drew said, laughing dryly.
“You never know,” I shrugged, standing up and walking to the kitchen, leaving Drew to contemplate his sexuality problems. “Shayko, wake up.”
“But Des it’s so early,” he whined.
“Drew and I have to go home eventually,” I sighed, rubbing his shoulder.
“No you don’t,” he said, sitting up.
“And why’s that?” I asked, smiling slightly.
“I want to apply for legal custody of you,” he shrugged, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.
“I’m already 18. Can you do that?” I asked.
“I can. You’re still in high school, even if it’s for three more months,” he said.
“I wouldn’t even be able to live with you. You’re touring still,” I sighed.
“Drop out of school and do online classes,” he said, looking at me with a ‘duh’ face.
“We’ve only been reunited for 12 hours and now you want me to make a snap decision about high school?” I asked.
“I know it’s ridiculous. But tour life is fun! Hell, when Drew officially graduates, he can come with us to Warped Tour. I just want you to be happy,” he begged.
“Why not. I fucking hate that place anyways,” I answered without a second thought.
“Good,” he smiled, pulling me into a hug. “Why’s Drew pacing?”
“He has a crush on Alan,” I grinned.
“Cute. Alan’s sexuality is definitely questionable, so I say don’t knock it till you try it,” he shrugged, letting me go.
Over the next two days, Shayley and I made arrangements. I dropped out of public school, and Shayley managed to get legal custody of me. My uncle didn’t give a shit. If anything, he was happy now that he didn’t have to waste money on me. Not like he did in the first place. On Sunday, Shay and I packed all my things from my old bedroom. There wasn’t much to be packed. I only filled two suitcases. Now the hard part: saying goodbye to my only friend.
“Drew, I’ll call everyday and I’ll Tweet you constantly. We can even Skype on Shay’s laptop,” I said, pulling him into a hug.
“I know, I’m just going to miss you so much,” he sighed, hugging me back. “Shay, take care of our sister. I’ve been doing it for 13 years, and it feels weird handing over the responsibility to someone else.”
“Don’t worry about her. And your mom said you were good for Warped?” Shay asked.
“Yep. I will see you when you pick me up on June 20th,” he grinned.
We said our final goodbyes, and it was back on the bus to the next destination. I think it was Salt Lake City. All I know was that it was going to be really fucking hot there. I sighed as I got on the tour bus, thinking about how much I love the heat.
“Something wrong?” Austin asked as I sat down next to him.
“Nah, I just love that Salt Lake is really warm,” I smiled.
“Oh, alright,” he said. “So do you follow in your brother’s footsteps and have any tattoos?”
“I have two,” I replied. “Both on my hipbones.”
“What are they?” he asked curiously.
“Twin swallows,” I smiled. “No matter how much I fought with Drew, he was my true family. It symbolizes how no matter how mad we were, we’d always go back to each other and continue being a family.”
“That’s sweet,” Austin grinned. “You can tell that I have a lot.”
“Really? I thought that you were just born like that,” I joked.
“Do you like my cat tattoo Des?” Alan nearly yelled, making me fall out of my seat from surprise.
“It’s gorgeous, love,” I responded, laughing.
“So why couldn’t Drew come with you?” he asked, sitting down at the other couch.
“His mom wouldn’t let him drop out and take online classes like me,” I explained.
“I thought he was 18?” Alan asked.
“He is,” I sighed.
“What’s with the sighing? Someone not happy to see me?” Phil asked, walking out of the back lounge.
“Oh I’m always happy to see your beautiful face,” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.
“Mine’s beautifuller!” Alan exclaimed.
“That’s not a word,” Phil argued.
“It is in my world,” Alan huffed, sticking his tongue out at Phil.
I glanced over at Austin. He was sighing and shaking his head while Shayley rolled his eyes. I was giggling quietly. Alan was that adorable and awkward big brother who means well, but is totally ridiculous.
“Well your world is dumb,” Phil mumbled, grabbing a beer from the fridge.
“My world is full of ice cream, guitars, cats, and cats playing heavy metal on those guitars,” Alan replied haughtily.
“Alan you’re adorable,” I giggled, pulling turning on the TV.
“I try my best,” Alan sighed dramatically.
I grabbed a blanket and decided to curl up into it. I was still freezing though. Austin took notice of this, and pulled me close to him, letting my head rest on his chest. I smiled happily. I could hear his steady heartbeat in his chest. It was soothing. Before I knew it, I had drifted off to sleep on Austin’s chest.

Austin’s POV
I noticed that Des was shivering. She’s so freaking tiny and skinny, it’s a wonder that she hasn’t frozen to death yet. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into my chest, having her lay between my legs with her head on my chest. Her breathing slowed, and over the next few minutes, she had drifted off to sleep.
“Making the moves on my sister, Carlile?” Shay asked, grinning at me.
“She was just cold,” I mumbled, blushing furiously.
“Keep in mind that you have to be careful with her. She’s five years younger than you,” Shay warned, sitting on the chair across the room.
“I wouldn’t dream of hurting her,” I said, stroking her hair gently. Her cherry red hair was very pretty and soft…
“So you do like her,” Phil grinned.
“You’re in love with her,” Tino teased.
“Don’t put it so bluntly. We’ve only known each other for like four days. It’s a small crush,” I shrugged, being careful not to disturb her.
“Well I swear to god if you hurt her in any way, I will kill you,” Shay threatened.
“Like I said, I wouldn’t dream of it,” I murmured, eyes focusing back to the TV. Oh good, Star Wars was on Spike TV.
“Good,” Shay said, sighing with relief. “I just can’t believe I found her.”
“You deserve it, though. Your 14 years finally paid off,” Alan shrugged, taking a sip of beer. “It just sucks that Drew couldn’t come with her.”
“What’s going on between you and Drew, by the way?” I asked, grinning.
“He’s a good friend,” Alan said, blushing slightly.
“Someone have a crush?” Phil teased.
“He’s a good looking guy and all, but we’re just friends. I enjoyed hanging out with him for those few days,” Alan said.
“You totally have a crush,” Tino said.
“Maybe a little. He’s probably not even gay,” Alan sighed with frustration.
“Oh yes he is. You were just too drunk to remember him say he was,” I said, laughing quietly.
“He’s a total flamer. I would know, we’ve been best friends for 13 years,” I heard Des mumble against my chest. “He totally has a crush on you by the way.”
“How much did you hear?” I asked, worriedly.
“I just woke up to Alan saying Drew’s not gay. Why?” she asked, stretching a bit.
“Just curious to see how long you’ve been up,” I shrugged, glaring at the guys who were making sexual gestures.
“Oh, alright,” she sighed, falling back onto my chest softly. “I’m exhausted. Going back to sleep.”
“Sleep well,” I mumbled, kissing the top of her head as she quickly fell back asleep.
“Austin and Des, sitting in a tree…” Tino sung.
“K-I-S-S-I-N-G,” Phil continued.
“Shut the fuck up,” I grinned, throwing a pillow at their faces, deciding I could do with a nap as well. I wrapped my arms around her tighter, and drifted off to a much needed nap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelies. If you took the time to read that whole chapter, it's much appreciated and thank you for bearing with me. This was a bit of a filler chapter, I'm trying to decide what more to do with this. If you have any ideas, feel free to message me or DM me on Twitter.
Follow my Twitter: @KiwiiYDG
Comment, Subscribe, Recommend?
Xx, Kiwii