Just the Way You Are

FOUR

Second round Stanley Cup Playoffs....Game One, Philly.

Nicolette let herself into Wayne's apartment three months later. He had given her a key on her second visit and she had been coming to see him nearly every weekend since then unless the Flyers were on the road. He made her happy and she looked forward to seeing him. She changed clothes, grabbing her Flyers jersey and waited for Zoe to arrive. She pulled up ten minutes later and Nicki dashed outside and hopped in her Maserati.

"Are you excited?" Zoe asked as they drove to the arena.

"Yes I am."

"Who are you pulling for?"

"Home teams. Pascal doesn't know I'm here so cheering here for Wayne will be easy. In Pittsburgh, I'll have to bite my tongue so Carol-Lyne doesn't catch on."

"You can sit with me if you want, in Pittsburgh. Gwen and Lindsey are going too."

"I want to, I really want to but I haven't told Pascal yet, about Wayne."

"Are you going to?"

"I am, once the season is over."

"Well, you're always welcome with us. You're one of us, girl. The Rangers are my team and we could play them next round if things go right; that'll be hard for me. Those guys are like a second family but this team is right up there now."

"They worm their way in, don't they?

Zoe giggled. "Yes they do."

Wayne had a goal in game one and another in game two. Nicki had cheered wildly for him and he teased her that she was his good luck, having not had any goals in the first round.

"I'm going to tell Pascal that work is sending me on a trip during games 3 and 4," Nicki told Wayne as they lounged around his apartment the day after game 2.

"You don't have to do that Nic," Wayne said as he held her in his arms.

"I want to. I want to cheer for you and wear your jersey."

"You could do that if you told him."

She shook her head. "I can't do that now, not in the middle of the series."

"How are you going to come if you tell him you'll be out of town?"

"I'm going to stay at the hotel with Zoe, Gwen, and Lindsey and sit in the box with them. I love you Wayne; I want to support you."

"I love you too, Nicki but you can't do that. I want you to go and cheer on your brother. I know in your heart you'll be cheering for me."

"I want to do this though."

"I know you do but you need to be there for Pascal too. Next season, when he knows about us, then you can cheer for me in Pittsburgh."

Pittsburgh, game 3....Philly leads 2-0

"Zoe!" Nicki called out happily. Zoe waved and the two girls met each other halfway. "How are you?"

"Fantastic! You?"

"I want to see Wayne; can you help me?"

"Sure. What do you need?"

"A lookout."

"You've got it girl. Come on!" Zoe linked her arm through Nicki's and led the way towards the visitors locker room. No one outside of Max, Zoe, and Wayne knew about Nicki's family connection to the Penguins and she wanted to keep it that way. "Wait here," Zoe said, pushing Nicki into a broom closet. Five minutes later, Wayne ducked inside. He pulled her to him and kissed her hard.

"I never thought I'd be kissing the girl of my dreams while she was wearing a Penguins jersey."

Nicki giggled. "I never thought I'd fall in love with a Flyer."

"We're pretty irresistible."

"You are at least. Good luck tonight."

"You're here; that's all the luck I need."

He had two assists that night in Pittsburgh but in the end, Pittsburgh came up with the win. The Flyers answered with a win two nights later.

Game 5....Philly

Nicki entered the Wells Fargo Center with Zoe and took their seats in their Flyers jerseys. The air was electric and the mood intense.

"Is that your sister?" Sidney Crosby asked Pascal after the Flyers third goal, scored by Wayne.

"No; she's stuck at work and couldn't come," Pascal answered.

"Oh. Well that girl with Zoe looks like her. Except she's wearing a Flyers jersey and cheering for the Flyers. I don't know why I thought that was Nic. That's just crazy," Sidney giggled.

"Yeah, crazy," Pascal answered, glancing over his shoulder. "Nic's a Pens girl, through and through."

"Wayne!!" Nicolette squealed as soon as he stepped out of the locker room after the game. She ran for him and launched herself at him. He caught her in his arms and twirled her around. She kissed him in the middle of the hallway. "You were amazing! Two goals! The game winner! I'm so proud of you!"

"Stay in Philly until the end of the playoffs," Wayne said to her, staring deep into her eyes. He set her down and held her tightly.

"Of course." He grinned and kissed her again.

"Nicolette!” the sharp voice interrupted the moment, breaking their reverie. Pulling away slowly from Wayne, she stepped out of his arms and turned to the voice belonging to her brother.

“It’s not what you think,” she explained lamely, walking to Pascal quickly, trying to block his path.

“Why him?” Pain, anger flared behind his eyes and Nicolette broke, unable to deal with the feelings she felt for Wayne and the hurt in her Pascal's eyes.

“I love him,” she gasped between sobs. His eyes grew wide and he stepped around his sister to Wayne.

“Son of a bitch! Son of a bitch!” he yelled. “That’s my sister you piece of shit! My sister!”

Wayne held up his hands in surrender. “I know. But I love her too.” He stood, his hands falling to his side, prepared to take a punch from an enraged Pascal, willing to take the punch and not fight back. As Pascal reared back to punch him, Wayne spoke again. “I want to marry your sister.”

Pascal froze. Nicolette froze. “You what?” he asked darkly. Wayne looked over him, to Nicolette and smiled shyly.

“I want to marry her. I want her in my life, forever. But I can’t have her unless you say its okay.”

“Motherfucking Flyer!” Pascal swore. He turned to face his sister. She smiled serenely at Wayne, wiping her tears away with the back of her hands. “Fuck!” he swore again before stalking away.

"That was not how I pictured that going," Wayne said, drawing Nicki into his embrace. He kissed her softly at her temple.

"Pascal finding out or you telling him you want to marry me?" Nicki said into his chest.

He chuckled. "Both. Are you okay?"

"Maybe? I don't know."

"At least the series is over."

"True. I don't have to worry about him going after you on the ice until next season."

"He'll love me before then."

Nicki giggled. "I love your self confidence. It's a very endearing quality."

Max and Zoe walked out into the hall. "Hey, Flower just texted me," Max said. "You two okay?"

"We're good," Nicki smiled. "I'm going to stay in Philly for the rest of the playoffs."

"And I think I just proposed to Nic," Wayne said softly.

"You what?!" Zoe shouted. "Are you serious?"

"What is going on out here?" Scott asked, walking out into the hall.

"You want to tell him or should I?" Wayne asked Nicki.

"Go ahead."

Wayne turned to Scott. "Nicki's brother just found out that we're together."

"Okay. What's the big deal?"

"My brother is Pascal DuPuis," Nicki told him.

"What?! You're brother is a Penguin?! And you're dating a Flyer?!"

"She's going to marry a Flyer," Wayne corrected.

"WHAT?!" Scott yelled.

"Oh my god, you're so fucking loud Hartsy!" Gwen exclaimed as she, Danny, Claude, and Lindsey stepped out to join them.

"Her brother is DuPuis!" Scott yelled. They all turned and stared at Nicki and Wayne.

"You're kidding right?" Gwen asked.

Nicki shook her head. "Not kidding. My name is Nicolette DuPuis. My brother plays for the Penguins and I love a Flyer with all my heart."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still not sure I like this chapter......I apologize if you find it too jumpy and frenetic. One chapter left....