Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter nine

“Green Day? What kind of a band name is Green Day? I bet they suck!” Jessica loudly exclaimed for the hundredth time on the walk back to mine.

It was about a forty-five minute walk that was fun sober but painful in this state. To make it even worse Jessica was a lot more intoxicated than I was, so she was stumbling around. She had also attempted to hitch hike a few times, luckily only one car had stopped and I was able to quickly pull her away.

However she was now at it again and a car had just pulled up alongside us. She was obviously remembering that I was able to pull her away the last time, so she jumped in the backseat instantly. I growled and opened the passenger door enough so the driver would hear me.

“I swear to god if you take her ANYWHERE I’ll be going to the nearest police station and reporting you for kidnapping… our fathers are police officers!” I warned the driver, baring my teeth in complete anger.

“So was mine, should I report you for underage drinking?” I heard a familiar voice tease back.

“Oh fuck that! Thanks but no thanks Logan.” Jessica sourly stated, opening her backseat door as I opened the passenger seat door further.

“Jessica, don’t even think about it. Emma, shut the hell up and get in.” Mike ordered using a tone full of authority.

I didn’t like being spoken to like that, but it worked as Jessica shut her door and fastened her seatbelt, whilst I threw my bag onto the floor of the car and heavily sat down on the passenger seat, crossing my arms as Mike then continued down the road.

Jessica either forgot Mike’s annoyance or had no qualms about it as she started her drunken chatter.

“So what brings you out this late on a Saturday night? Booty call? You devil, you.” Jessica asked, breaking out into hysterical laughter at her comment.

“No, I got called out to investigate a murder with your father. We did all the questioning we could for tonight, the rest is up to the Crime Scene Unit until tomorrow.” Mike replied in a flat tone, obviously unimpressed with Jessica’s assumption.

“Ooooh, was it a guy? Was he hot?” Jessica asked and I groaned and put my head against the window.

As I sobered up more I was growing more tired and had less patience to deal with Jessica being a drunken moron and Mike being a general dick.

***

In what felt like forever but in reality was only a short drive we ended up outside my apartment block. Jessica was now ranting to Mike about this “new” Green Day band and why they would fail.

I still had my eyes closed up until this moment, but judging by Mike’s grunts as replies he was less than impressed.

I opened my eyes to see Jessica sprint out of the car in the general direction of my apartment block. I only groaned, but took off my seat belt.

This would all soon be over. I was minutes away from being able to pass out on my bed. The only obstacle in my way was to get Jessica up the stairs, however she seemed just as keen as I was as she was attempting to open the locked front door to the complex.

I turned to thank Mike for the car ride home however he wasn’t in his seat. Still a bit confused and dazed from the alcohol in my system I blinked in confusion. Where did he go?

My question was answered moments later when he opened the car door next to me.

“Thanks, but I could have done that myself.” I scowled, swatting his hand away as I exited the car.

“You women complain these days there are no gentlemen, but go on a feminist tirade when someone tries to be one. Jeeze.” Mike complained to me as we began walking towards the entrance to my apartment block.

“Shouldn’t you go help Jessica? She’s the one in dire need of assistance right now.” I stated to Mike.

It was a valid statement. Jessica right now was confessing her love to the door and was kissing it.

“Yeah, I probably should be. But I happen to be more fond of you so I’d rather make sure you’re okay.” Mike replied.

“Oooh, Lennie won’t be too pleased to hear that you prefer Detective Caine’s daughter over his own” I joked, as we were a few feet away from Jessica.

“Actually I’m more worried about your father. If he was around and heard me say that out of context he’d draw certain conclusions and I don’t think he’d be too happy.” Mike frowned.

“Meh, don’t worry about that. He’s out of town, in Miami in fact. Over a thousand miles away,” I replied, deciding to skip any jokes, as I was too tired to care.

“So no one is in your apartment right now? Give me your keys, I want to make sure you’re both okay when you go in.” Mike replied.

I glared at him, but sighed and passed him my set of keys. If he could help me get Jessica upstairs a lot faster I was all for it and I did not have the energy to argue with someone who was appearing stubborn.

Mike said nothing as he opened the door to the complex, but he grabbed Jessica by the arm and roughly pulled her up the stairs as quickly as possible. I went to follow behind them but Mike grabbed my hand with his spare one.

“I’m not some fucking little kid, stop treating me like one.” I hissed, pulling my hand away.

I felt a little bad almost immediately, especially as he didn’t retort with some sarcastic remark as he usually would. But my grievances from before had bottled up and it had all erupted at once. Besides, he was the one who decided to help us out, we didn’t beg him. How dare he act like we were two year olds.

I informed him which apartment was the one I lived in, and keeping a firm grip on Jessica he opened up my apartment door with my keyset I had given him moments before when he opened the complex door.

He then finally let go of Jessica who ran into the apartment as Mike handed me back my set of keys.

“Well thanks guys, but I’m too tired so I’m going to hit the hay. Goodnight!” She stated dramatically, closing my apartment door keeping both Mike and I outside.
♠ ♠ ♠
You don't really realise how much the characters in L&O age until you watch seasons from each spectrum. When you watch them all in order you don't realise because you expect it, you know there being 20 seasons and all. But when you switch straight from season five, to season twenty for example, it seems like it's more than fifteen years have passed because McCoy and Van Buren look so much older. I mean duh, stating the obvious but I'm watching a season twenty episode as I write this, and yeah thought I'd just comment :)