Dirty Work

Chapter Six

*Five months later (May)*
Graduation is only two weeks away and none of us can wait. We've also been approached by multiple record labels but we haven't been in a hurry to sign to one. Especially since none of the reps have really blown us away. We're playing a gig tonight and we plan on playing more of our own stuff with a few covers thrown in here and there. It should be a really fun night but unfortunately we have to get through two more hours of school first. I have no idea what we're doing in class since I was thinking about the show and staring at Alex from across the room. He's just so perfect, his hair, personality, face... I can't believe he's stayed with me for six months..
"Hey Jack, wanna come back to reality now? The bell just rang."
"Oh, yeah.. Thanks.."
"Whatcha thinking about?"
"Just the show."
"That's it?"
"Yep, that was it."
"Nothing else?"
"Nope, why?"
"Cause you completely left mentally. You had to have been thinking about something pretty deep for the bell to not phase you at all."
"I'm gonna let you try to figure it out on your own then."
"Fine, jerk."
"Oh please, you love me, douche."
"Ouch, that hurt my feelings. How could you?"
"Oh whatever, drama queen."
"Damn straight."
We both laughed while people looked at us like we were crazy. Now for one more hour before we get to go home and start practice. Time was moving way too slowly. Coach Zubey decided today would be a good day to run the mile and play flag football. Rian and I decided to run a single mile and then played catch while everyone else participated in the actual game. Soon enough Zubey called us in and we quickly headed to the locker room and got dressed out. Then we started heading towards the parking lot, where Alex soon met us. We did the usual pre-show routine of practicing for a couple hours then getting revved up on coffee and rocking out to music on the way there. We ran through the sound check and then started to play for real. Halfway through I saw one guy near the back that seemed to be there for more than just entertainment purposes. As we finished up with a Sum 41 cover, the guy I noticed earlier moved closer to where we were. As we were packing up our things, he came up to us and asked if we had a label yet. When we replied saying no, he asked if we'd like to hear what he had to offer. We listened and it sounded pretty damn good so we all agreed we liked him and the label. All Time Low had officially signed onto Emerald Moon Records. We were all super stoked since we'd been a band for less than a year and yet we just got a record deal. We headed to the restaurant part of this place so we could eat and celebrate. Alex headed away from the table, right about the time the waitress took the check, and headed to the bathroom. We continued talking and realized he was taking forever. To kill the time we ordered and ate dessert but after we had finished, which was at least 40 to 45 minutes after he left, he still wasn't back. I decided to try and find him and when I did, I came at the wrong time. I walked over towards the bar since I saw Alex there and then there was a girl all over him. They went in for the kiss right as I approached them but before I could say anything. I don't know which one indicated it but it sure as hell didn't look like Alex tried to resist. Then I noticed that wasn't just a peck on the lips. No. That was a full on French kiss. And he was kissing back. I couldn't do anything but stare in horror and disbelief. My eyes decided that would be the best time to let the tears pour down my face. I didn't stop them and I waited a second before I ran out so he would see the look on my face. See all the tears he'd caused. As soon as they saw me and Alex realized that I was crying, I ran out. Ran right pass Rian and Zack and straight to my car. I sat in the driver's seat and cried. Rian soon appeared outside my car and knocked on the passenger window. I unlocked the car and he sat down in the passenger seat. He did everything he could to calm me down and it helped then him and Zack switched places. Rian was going to deal with Alex and figure out what happened. Zack was to get me to Rian's for the night. Since Zack's car was still at the restaurant, Rian's parents took him back there. After they left I got back into my car and drove to my house, I don't know why but I did. I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to go in just because my dad still didn't except that I was gay. We had yet to talk, I had talked to my mom though. I found out that she had supported me the whole time just because I was her son. I knew going in would only make the night worse so I pulled myself away and headed to the park. I got out and sat on the swings, swinging very slowly, thinking and processing what had gone down tonight. I really just wanted to make sense of it all but that was much easier said than done. When that failed miserably, I got back into my car and headed to Vinny's house. When I got there, the first words out of my mouth were, "Alex cheated on me." And those four simple words made me cry like a little baby. Vinny was used to dealing with me when I was like this, which is sad to say. I decided to stay the night there, but unlike Vinny, I barely got any sleep. I spent the whole night trying to figure out what happened. For the life of me, I couldn't come up with a reason for what went down and I wanted an explanation. I got up and went to my car to go over to Alex's before Vinny woke up and stopped me. I knew it'd be somewhat of a stupid move but I wanted.. No. I needed to know why. I had a gut feeling he wouldn't be able to give me one even if I did confront him, but I was willing to go against that feeling. When I got to his house, his car was the only one there. I walked in with every intention of confronting him but he was nowhere to be found. After giving up, I went to Rian's where he and Zack were practicing and writing new stuff. After all we needed to start working on new stuff since we'd start working on a cd soon. That is if we, meaning Alex and I, can get through all of this and at least be civil around each other. The practice did distract me for awhile but then my brain went back to it. I took this as a chance to just get out of town. I decided to go to the park me and Vinny went to as kids, it wasn't extremely far away but it was just far enough. I got there in a little under an hour and headed straight for my old swing. For a nice Saturday afternoon, I was quite surprised no one was there. After swinging for a good 10 minutes, I started hearing someone or something moving nearby. Then I heard footsteps coming from behind me, which was kinda creepy to begin with. Then an easily recognizable voice spoke. They said one sentence. But that one sentence terrified me. Terrified me to the point of chills. Terrified me not just because of who it was that said it but because of what they actually said.
"I still love you and I'm never letting you go again."
I knew, that is if I was lucky, that I'd be able to send a single text message before something would happen. I quickly sent Vinny a text that was simply the place, person, and a plea for help. He'd know what it meant and would do what he could. I was terrified for my safety as soon as my phone said 'message sent'. Now all I could do was hope. And that hope was slowly depleting.