Dirty Work

Chapter Seven

*Rian's POV*

"Hold on, Vinny's calling me."
"That's kinda random."
"Yeah, it is.."
I picked up and Vinny sounded like he was freaking out.
"Yeah, what happened? ...What?! Shit. That's not good. Yeah, we'll be over in just a few."
"What?"
"Jack's in trouble."
"How bad?"
"From how Vinny sounded, I'd say pretty fucking bad. You know how they'd always talk about someone but they'd say 'you know who' instead of an actual name?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm about 99% sure it has to do with this. We need to go right now."
"Okay."
We quickly got everything together and jumped into my car. We practically sped to Vinny's house and he was waiting for us outside. As we pulled up I unlocked the doors and he got in.
"Where am I going?"
"Towson Manor Park."
"What are the cross streets?"
"Towsontowne Boulevard and Virginia Avenue."
"Okay, now can you explain what's going on?"
"You know how we'd talk about some bad relationship that he'd had but we'd never say the name?"
"Yeah?"
"Well, he dated this guy, Blake. He seemed pretty cool but as they continued to go out, he got weird. Like obsessively weird. Jack didn't notice and was falling for this guy. Of course he couldn't tell his parents about him because of his dad, but I heard everything. I even told him that he was becoming a bit obsessive but Jack would hear none of it. He swore he loved him and when Blake suddenly pushed him away, yelled at him and got with the class whore, he was left in pieces. Blake even started some rumors about him, which caused him to retreat even more socially and caused more pain."
"Is that why he was so quiet and reserved at Alex's party?"
"Yep, Blake fucked him up quite a bit and I wanted him to try and make more friends to help forget what happened at his old school. That's why I brought him to the party."
"Okay, so how is Jack in trouble now?"
"Blake is at the park. Blake had, and probably still does have, a darker side that very few know. He's beaten up some people pretty badly for no reason other than he was bored and they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. He's never gotten caught which is why few know that he's done it. I'm also pretty sure he's killed someone before. That's why I was glad when he had let go of Jack and didn't want anything to do with him. I felt bad that it was under those circumstances but I thought it'd be for the best. Afterward I got Jack to slowly put himself back together and move on."
"So, in other words what you're telling me is Jack is potentially in a life or death situation right now?"
"Basically, yes."
"Why don't we get the police involved instead of doing it ourselves?"
"Blake would probably do something really bad to Jack if police were called on him.."
"All I have to say is we, along with Jack, and this car better make it out in one piece, with no bullet holes or scratches, otherwise you're dead."
"No promises, my only goal is to get everyone out alive. If that means we get shot, scratched, or stabbed in the process then oh well. I'll do whatever I can to pay their medical or repair bill. I don't know exactly what were getting ourselves into, but we sure as hell need to make it out."
"Well that's comforting... Is that the park coming up?"
"Yeah.. And there's two cars there. That means they haven't left."
"There could've been more."
"Not helping Rian. Not helping at all."
"Sorry."
"Park behind him so he can't back up."
"Nah, I was going to park down the street. I thought that would be a great place to park. What do you think I'm doing?"
He gave me a death glare as we parked and got out. All of us were silent the entire time. We slowly made our way towards the playground. I had grabbed a baseball bat from my trunk before we left the car. I didn't know if I'd actually be able to use it but I figured it'd be better than going in with nothing at all. I was smart in thinking that way since as we approached I could see Jack kneeling on the ground and Blake standing in front of him. Luckily for us, there was three of us and one of him. I handed the bat to Vinny as we cautiously approached. Blake turned and saw us, then punched Jack hard enough to knock him on his back. He wasn't moving and his pants were down. Blake turned toward us again, but before he moved forward he whistled and two other guys appeared from behind some shrubs.
"I was waiting for you to arrive Vin.. and you brought some company."
"What did you do to him?"
"Just something that we should've done before but I made a stupid decision."
"What did you DO?"
"I fucked him. Is that what you wanted to hear?"
"You...."
"Me what? Come on, say it."
"No."
"You've always held your tongue. For once I want to hear you say something that you don't want to say aloud. So lets hear it."
"No."
"I could always kill Jack..."
"You wouldn't."
"I've already made his life miserable. Why not just end it? It'd be so easy. He's already laying here, completely vulnerable and its not like he could try to save himself. He's a bit preoccupied you could say."
"You have him tied up. Isn't it better when they fight back? Isn't it better when there's some kind of competition in it, even when you have the upper hand?"
"So you admit I have the upper hand in this situation."
"Over Jack, definitely. Over all of us, that's debatable."
"Oh the same old Vin."
"Why now though?"
"Because it was obvious he was vulnerable and that's when it's the most entertaining. There's a certain rush you get when they're crying and begging you to let them go peacefully but then you force them to do something they don't want to do."
"Is that what you plan on doing to us too?"
"Well, you see, these guys, they don't really have any morals they abide by. If I tell them to pull the trigger and kill someone, they do it without thinking twice. It's quite thrilling."
"So?"
"So, unless you have something more than a mere wooden baseball bat, you're quite screwed right now. Both of these guys have guns and are excellent at aiming."
I could tell we were definitely in a bad situation and if we all made it out alive, it would be a miracle. Blake was ruthless and would surely kill us all. If we could just take out his gunmen though, then we'd have a chance. I figured out a plan to take down one of them and looked at Zack, who apparently had the same idea and looked at me the same way. I nodded towards one of them slightly and he did the same. We were thinking the same thing and I knew we'd only have one chance at this so it'd be a leap of faith. I did a very silent and subtle countdown towards Zack and on three, we both acted. I took out the one nearest me and after Vinny looked at us shocked. Blake's face was priceless. He hadn't expected that and quickly grabbed Jack in a choke hold. He would either cut off his air supply or he'd snap his neck. Ambushing him would kill Jack instantly so without thinking twice I grabbed the gun, aimed and fired. A very audible shot went off and hit Blake in the shoulder knocking him back and making him release his hold on Jack. Zack and Vinny hurried over to get Jack away from him. They made sure he was still breathing and got him to wake up. I had sat down and was in shock with the gun still clasped in my hand. Vinny came and got rid of it, got me up and into my car. He proceeded to call the cops and when they finally arrived they cleaned up the scene, took down our stories, and took them away. Jack looked terrible and broke down again. He could barely walk and was bleeding. He wouldn't make or keep eye contact with anyone. No one spoke the entire ride home. In all reality, there was nothing to say but the silence was excruciating. Then we reached Vinny's, they both got out and still no one said a word. We'd all been through hell tonight, Jack having gone through the most, and we were just glad to be done. Zack and I headed back to my place and passed out as soon as we laid down on the couch. The only thought crossing my mind the whole night was Jack. I really hoped he was okay but I probably wouldn't know for awhile...