A Life Less Ordinary

Revelation

Isla screamed in terror and hurried over to Barsad’s body. His eyes hadn’t left hers until he died, now they stared blank up into the black sky. She cradled his head in her lap and sobbed.

The crowd had begun to disperse, a few men stood talking animatedly amongst themselves, Victor at their center.

“What happened to you?!” She screamed at Bane. He turned on his heel and stalked over to her.

“I’ve had the veil lifted from my eyes. Clarity had happened to me.” his voice was pure anger and he loomed over her, eyes crazy. Isla looked down at Barsad’s body and caught a glimpse of a photo under his arm. She pulled it out and looked at it. It was an image of Barsad leaning in close to Isla, right after he kissed her. What couldn’t be seen was her hand as she pushed him away.

“Do you deny it?” Bane barked. Isla looked up at him.

“Did you let him explain?” she asked.

“ANSWER THE QUESTION!” he screamed.

Isla whimpered and shook her head, managing to squeak out a “no.”

Letting out a growl like that of a wounded animal, he grabbed her by the arm and yanked her to her feet.

“Bane stop!!” she cried as he drug her towards the doors. She dug her heels into the ground and pulled with all her might to no avail. He turned and threw her over his shoulder and carried her screaming up to their room.

Kicking the door open, he threw her on the bed.

“I loved you! I was willing to give up everything for you and this is how you repay me?!” he yelled.

“Bane I didn’t do anything!” she cried, trying to prop herself up.

“Lies!” He slapped her across the face, causing her head to jerk back. “I saw the pictures. Victor told me everything.”

“Did Victor tell you how I rejected Barsad? How I pushed him away and reprimanded him for the kiss?!” she screamed, holding her hand to her split lip.

She could see Bane’s eyes flicker. “He only wanted to get me out of the compound for my health! Because I felt like I was dying behind these walls! Barsad’s only crime was doing what you told him to do. Look after me in your absence. You haven‘t been yourself since Rio.” She could barely speak between sobs.

Bane’s brow furrowed as her words struck him. “He had feelings for you.” he said, sinking down onto the mattress.

“No! He only wanted to understand what would make you give it all up. He was going to leave with us! He was loyal to you and everything you are. And you killed him based on the words of Victor?! The same man who has tormented me all these months!!” Isla turned and punched Bane with all her strength.

“You killed him!! Your best friend! My best friend!! You Bastard!!” she beat her fists against his chest over and over, tears flowing down her face. Bane grabbed her fists in his own and pulled her into a tight embrace. She collapsed against him, wailing.

“Isla…I…” His voice cracked. “I’m not in control of my mind…” He made her look up at him. “What have I done?” he asked. “I’m so sorry…” his hands clutched at her, grazing over her shoulders, face. Desperate.

“Victor is behind this. I saw him coming out of Woodrue‘s office this morning.” she whispered.

Bane stood and rubbed his eyes as the realization of his actions came to light. A sorrowful moan erupted from his throat and he punched the mirror, glass splintered on the floor. He continued to cry out as he scattered the lamp and books on the dresser with one sweep of his massive arm.

Isla huddled in the middle of the bed, watching as he was overcome with grief. He picked up the bench at the end of the bed and heaved it through the balcony doors.

“Bane! Please stop!” Isla cried, making to get off the bed. Bane turned and collapsed at the edge of the bed. He grabbed her hips and rested his head against her stomach.

“I’m going to kill him…” Bane said, breathing heavily with rage.

“No Bane…I have a horrible feeling. Lets just leave tonight. Just me and you and I will go wherever you want! Just please lets go!” Isla cried, her hands on either side of his face.

Bane shook his head. “No. Wherever we go, he will follow if he wants. It has to be tonight.”

“Bane I’m pregnant.” she blurted out. She could feel his body tense at her confession and nausea set in. She held her breath, waiting for his response.

He looked up, staring at her for what seemed like an eternity, before reaching behind his head and pulling off his mask.

His eyes glimmered with emotion. “Truly?” he asked. Isla nodded.

“I’m to be a father??” he asked, incredulously.

“Yes.” Isla whispered. A smile spread across his face and he buried his face in her gown, wrapping his arms around her waist. She rested her hand on the back of his head.

“This is why I want to leave….” she said. He looked up at her, a single tear trailed down his cheek.

“And we will.” he said, standing up. “Ready yourself. Pack only what you need and wait for me to come for you.” his hands on either side of her face, he stared into her eyes. “I love you so much, do you understand me?” he asked.

Isla nodded. “I do.” He kissed her forehead and sighed.

“I love you so much….” he whispered before donning the mask once more.

OoOoOoOo


“Hello Doctor.” Woodrue looked up from his desk.

“Ah. Bane. I did not hear you come in. What can I do for you at this hour?” Woodrue asked.

Bane closed the door behind him. “I would like to see one of the venom cartridges I commissioned you to make for me.”

Woodrue tossed him one of the cartridges. “Is something off about them?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Is there?” Bane asked, pulling another venom cartridge from his vest.

Woodrue shook his head. “I have created them exactly as we discussed. Every two weeks the dose is lowered.”

Bane tapped the cartridge he had produced. “This is an old cartridge with the old dosage.” He tapped the cartridge Woodrue had handed over. “This is one of the newer ones with the decreased dose. It should be considerably decreased since I have been tapering for the last eight weeks. I would like you to break it down for me so that I can measure the dosage.”

Woodrue was visibly uneasy as he gave a short laugh. “Very well. I will work on it in the morning. I was just preparing for bed before you came in.” he said.

“I would have you work on it now.” Bane said, sliding the cartridge to him. Woodrue stared at him, unblinking.

“The sweat on your brow sets me on edge, doctor. And I have been known to go over the edge these last few days.” Bane spoke deliberately. Woodrue took the cartridge and set to unscrewing it.

There was a knock at the door.

“Speak a word of warning and it will be your last.” Bane whispered, backing into a dark corner behind the door.

“Come in.” Woodrue called. Victor walked in, taking a seat at his desk.

“What can I do for you, Victor?” Woodrue asked.

“That was some show, was it not?” Victor asked.

“Indeed it was. Very barbaric.” he replied.

“Everything is in place now. With Barsad dead and gone, there is no one left to interfere.”

“What about the woman?”

“What about her?” Victor asked.

“She could yet interfere.” Woodrue replied.

Victor shook his head. “She is but a mouse in a room full of cats. He gave her quite a knock. How was she when you saw her?”

“She had a nice sized contusion. And she’s pregnant.” Woodrue said.

Victor scoffed. “The little bitch is pregnant? Mein Gott…” he shook his head. “There is no room for mewling brats in this world. Once Bane is gone, we will terminate the pregnancy and sterilize her. I have plans for that one. Has Bane had the final dose?”

Woodrue nodded. “He has.”

Victor clapped his hands together. “Ausgezeichnet! It’s all coming together nicely. There are big rewards in store for you after this, doctor.” He stood up and took his leave, closing the door behind him.

Bane stepped forward and pressed his hands down on his desk. “This does not look good for you, doctor.”

Woodrue opened his mouth to argue, but Bane grabbed him by the throat. “The plans I now have for you will make you wish El Cartel had found you first.” he hissed. It took every ounce of his being to keep from snapping his neck. He threw him back into his chair and left him to his thoughts.

OoOoOoOo


Isla paced back and forth, anxiously waiting for Bane to return. It had been nearly an hour since he’d left and she’d had two bags packed in less than ten minutes. Heavy footsteps echoed down the hallway. She flung the door open and froze with fear as she came face to face with Victor.

“Hallo Schöne…”

Isla turned and ran for the dumb waiter, but he grabbed her by her hair before she could reach it.

He yanked her head back and wrapped an arm around her waist. “A little birdie told me you’re carrying Bane’s bastard in your belly….” he mumbled, his lips brushing against her ear.

She tried to jerk away but he held her tight to him. “Where is Bane?” she cried.

“I don’t know. That’s where you come in.” He purred and dragged her out of the room.

OoOoOoOo


Bane hurried to their bedroom to find the door ajar and Isla missing.

“Isla!!” he hurried inside, giving the room a once over. Her packed bags lay on the bed. An ear piercing scream rang out through the halls. He ran out of the room and down the stairs.

“VICTOR!!!” He screamed. Men stopped and watched as Bane stormed through the compound. He hurried down the stairs, stopping in his tracks when he came to the lobby.

Isla was on her knees, facing Bane. Victor stood behind her, his hand on the back of her neck. “Nice of you to join us, brother.” The men stood behind them in a circle, all facing Bane.

“Let her go, Victor.” Bane demanded, stepping forward.

“Stay.” Victor said, pulling a knife from behind his back. He precariously placed the knife under her chin. Bane froze.

“Good dog. Now, the mask. Take it off and kick it to me.” Bane narrowed his eyes, fingers twitching at his sides. Victor gave Isla’s head a vicious jerk, causing her to scream.

“NOW!” he screamed. Bane reached behind his head and unclasped the mask, letting it fall to the ground.

“Kick it to me!” Bane kicked the mask to Victor.

Two men stepped behind Bane. “Now, get on your knees and put your hands on your head.” he ordered. Bane lowered himself to the ground and placed his hands behind his head.

“What do you have to gain from this?” Bane asked.

Victor smirked. “Everything. Power, respect. Your woman. And I will no longer have to live under your shadow. You have shown weakness and therefore are unworthy of leadership.”

Bane locked eyes with Isla. Tears shimmered in her eyes and she mouthed the words ‘I’m sorry’ to him. He gave her the faintest of smiles, trying to reassure her, though his heart ached for her as helplessness set in. Something he wasn’t used to.

“Your failed liberation of Gotham City was your last. Tonight…” Victor continued to ramble, but all Bane could hear was the loud ringing in his ears. Isla’s face became blurry. He shook his head, trying to focus.

“You’re starting to feel it, no?” Victor asked.

“What are you talking about?” Bane snapped.

“Your withdrawal. You wanted this. To come off of the Venom, did you not?”

“You tampered with my Venom.” Bane speculated.

“You always were exceptionally smart. Can you tell me what happens to the human body after receiving massive amounts opiates and steroids constantly for eight weeks, and stopping them abruptly?” Victor asked.

Isla felt panic rising as his words took meaning. “Withdrawal…” she whispered.

“Yes! Along with hallucinations, paranoia, violent behavior, the list continues my friend.”

Bane squeezed his eyes shut as sweat began to bead on his forehead. He could feel the familiar pain beginning to rear its ugly head.

“Bane…look at me…” Isla cried, yelping when Victor tightened his grip in her hair.

“So why not just kill me, Victor?” Bane asked.

“It is in my nature to allow you to suffer. It’s what I do best. Take him to the basement.” Victor barked. The two men hauled Bane to his feet.

“Take her to my room.” Victor said.

“NO!!” Bane screamed. “ISLA!!”

Isla screamed and began to fight, trying to get to Bane, but the men grabbed her.

“BANE!!” she cried. Bane struggled against the men, but they overpowered him.

“VICTOR I’LL KILL YOU IF YOU TOUCH HER!!!” he screamed, the veins in his neck protruded.

“Unlikely, brother.” Victor replied, following Isla down the stairs.