Sequel: Just for a Moment
Status: Complete, but being revised. Part Four is in progress ♥.

The Academy of the Elite

Jam Sessions

We sat directly across from the headmaster who had an easy smile on his face. This alone instantly relaxed me as I looked at him from across his magnificent mahogany desk. He had one leg propped up on the other, his dress shoes were probably more expensive than my whole room back home. For a moment we just sat in silence, him watching us, us fidgeting under his gaze.

“So girls, how do you like it here so far?” He spoke, cutting the silence.

“It’s so beautiful here. There is so much talent around too.” I said with a small uneasy smile, still unsure of why we were here.

“It is so amazing!” Aaliyah all but shouted. “I can't wait for the semester to start in nine days.”

“I am glad to hear that,” he chuckled at Aaliyah’s outburst. “I am sure you are both wondering why I have called you here to my office. Well every year, as I am sure you know, we have freshmen orientation to mark the start of the new semester. We pick two qualified students to perform at this event. We usually pick people who are well into their third year here. But the staff, as well as I , have expressed extreme intrigue with you two. So I am extending this opportunity for you both to perform for the orientation.”

Aaliyah jumped up and started to dance. “Oh yes, thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Think of it this way Elizabeth, you will be able to showcase your talent and get over your fear of attention. You will be getting a lot of that at this school.” Justin stared at me intently.

“Thank you for this rare opportunity sir. I am honored that you thought of us.” I swallowed my nerves. "I would love to be a part of this.”

“Yes!” Ally screeched, jumping up and down.

The headmaster paid her no mind smiling at me in approval. I felt secure in that moment; I knew I had made the right decision. I actually started to feel excited as he started to explain the rehearsal hours. From Monday to Friday for the next week, we would spend three hours each afternoon to rehearse. We had to perform three songs of our choosing or a ten minute skit. Aaliyah isn’t the best actor, despite being dramatic, so we agreed to do the three songs. We will be singing According to you by Orianthi, Thinking of You by Frank Ocean and an original that was seared into my mind. We promised it would blow the crowd away. He approved our song choices, reminded us dinner was at seven in the main building cafeteria, tonight we would be having Italian, then he sent us on our way. We had six hours before dinner, I was glad I had time to collect myself.

Aaliyah happily chatted about how great this was going to be, she was so excited I could see it gleam in her beautiful forest green eyes. I wondered if Aaliyah had any idea of how beautiful she is. The way her mocha skin covered her pear shaped body made everyone stare at her. She was 5’6, getting her height from papi, and her long raven black hair swooped down to just above her back dimples. I would often catch her pouting at her reflection, a look of discontentment in her eyes. She clearly didn't see how exotic she looked. She was so beautiful, that sometimes, I wondered how we both came from the same womb. She would always tell me that I had a beautiful hourglass shape that girls would die for, but she must have missed the envious glances in her direction. When we reached the room, she was showing her dimples, as her caramel colored lips curled upwards. I return her smile and stood outside of my room door.

“Well I am off to explore. Meet you in the cafeteria later.” She hugged me and ran off to who knows where.

I stood at my room door helplessly; I knew that once we got here I would lose whatever control I had over Ally’s actions. I knew she was going to run wild, I just hoped that it wouldn't be so wild that she would get kicked out or hurt. I knew how much she craved this freedom, being so watched by all of us, even my little brother. We were all protective of Aaliyah, we could see the wild streak gleam in her eyes. I am pretty sure my parents are sitting home now worrying over us. I decided to just relax and unpack in my room, maybe call home to check on everyone.

I put on music from the iPod that I received as gift from my grandma and the dock which Tio got me for making it into this school. Gifts like this were rare and lavish for me; I blushed when I received them. I knew our parents made a good income, they just had so many mouths to feed, and many of those were male mouths. Boy, could they eat. Plus, Ally, Mami and I were all vegetarians, which happens to be a more pricey life choice. I was deep in thought when there was a knock at my door. I opened the door to find Aaliyah standing with a towel over her shoulder.

“Want to come to the pool with Jack and I?”

“No, I’m going to relax for a little while.”

After a small talk with Aaliyah, I close my door and go back to the task at hand. I was half done unpacking when I heard someone knocking on my door again. For a moment I thought Aaliyah was back to ask me to go somewhere else with her. I decided to pause and opened the door. I figured I could use some fun, so I would go with Ally wherever she was headed next. I was surprised to find Kellin standing on the other side.

“Hey Kellin,” I smiled at him through my shock. “What is up?”

“I was just seeing how the room was coming along.” He looked around and smiled. “Can I come in?”

I immediately felt rude for not offering earlier. I didn't want him to think I was just going to leave him standing outside of my door.

“Yes come in,” I stepped aside allowing him in.

“I wanted to talk to you about your sister’s song. The one she sang the other day.”

“What about it?” I picked up a stuffed giraffe from the floor, silently embarrassed by it.

“It was beautiful. I want to buy the rights for it from her.” I dropped Kevin, the giraffe, to the floor again.
“I am aware that she is less then fond of me but that could be the song that launches my band. I have to have it. Can you talk to her about it for me?”

I nodded numbly to his request and he smiled. Once again I wondered what it was about Kellin that Aaliyah didn't like. I may not know much about him but he seemed sincere to me. He plopped on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I made no move from where I had been standing when he first came in. He started to hum Ally’s song and I was surprised by his memory.

“Hey Kellin,” he sat up and looked at me.

“Yeah?”

“Do you think Vic would mind singing his song for me again?”

I blushed when he gave me a look that suggested I was asking more than I really was. He smiled at me and laughed lightly to himself.

“Trust me, he won’t mind at all.”

I grinned wide, “Great!”

He got up and made his way to my door. He paused at the doorknob and looked at me.

“You seem to be a cool chick Liz. We are going to be good friends.” Then he walked out, closing the door behind him.

I smiled at his words; I liked the thought of having a friend here already. I made a mental note to tell Ally about the song and to ask her why she didn't like him. I started to feel restless after Kellin’s visit so I checked the time. Three whole hours before dinner, I decided to find Vic to get him to sing for me. I walked out the room having no idea where to start my search. I stood at the entrance of the dorm building wondering where to go when I spot a boy with tattoos and a fitted hat. I decided to ask him since he looked familiar.

“Hello,” I tapped his shoulder; he turned and smiled a cocky grin at me.

I recognized him as one of the boys who dog-piled Vic the other day. I beamed at him, knowing that I will now have success in finding Vic.

“Hey,” he looked me up and down.

I blushed under his gaze, “Can you tell me where to find Vic Fuentes?”

Recognition dawned on his face. “You must be Lizzy; I am Vic’s handsome brother Mike.”

“Oh,” I was shocked that this tall guy was related to Vic. “I didn't expect that.”

“Hey Jonny,” he motioned at a guy behind him. “This is Lizzy.”

“Vic’s girl?” He practically growled, red hair spilling out from under his cap.

“Yeah that’s the one.” Mike put his arm around my shoulder. “I will take you to him.”

I didn't even get a chance to protest the statements made about me. Jonny and Mike were talking to each other about their inevitable success and the amount of ladies it would bring in for them. They included me in conversation every now and then but otherwise ignored me all together. I was completely okay with this. When I spotted Vic, my heart was in my throat for some strange reason. He was laughing with a group of guys; one of them being Kellin, Vic’s back was turned towards me. The guys were all huddled around this lone picnic table, most of them sitting on the surrounding grass.

Kellin pointed in my direction, Vic turned and broke out into a huge grin. I felt the need to be at his side in that moment, so I slipped out from under Mike’s arm and walked towards him.

“Hey,” he said ignoring the nine guys starting at us.

“Hey,” I felt so strange, so unexplainable. “I have a favor to ask you.”

“Sure, anything.” He shrugged and the guys sent out a chorus of ooos.

“Can you sing that song you sang to me earlier again?” I was openly blushing, I could feel it.

I wanted to disappear with all the eyes on me at the moment. It was too much for me to handle. I fidgeted a bit as they kept staring at us. I wonder what made this moment so fascinating to them. I didn't want to think that it had anything to do with Mike and Jonny's earlier statement. So I just stared at my heels, and Vic's vans.

“Quit it guys. Sure I would love to. Let me introduce you to my band really quickly first. You already met my broski, that’s Tony and Jaime, sitting behind Kellin. They are that guitarist and bassist, Mike plays the drums. We are still trying to pick a good name. I like Pierce the Veil, what do you think?”

“PTV, I love it.”

He smiled, “This is Kellin’s band, Justin, Jack, Jesse, and Gabe. They are Sleeping with Sirens.”

“Awesome name guys,” I said giving Kellin a pound, as they sit out on the grass.

“Okay, so you met everyone, now let’s go.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the group of jeering guys.

I smile, trying to ignore the fact that his hand was on my wrist, trying to think of something to say. He led me to a hollowed out hedge, where there was a single white bench.

‘Why are there some many places to hide out in this school?’ I thought to myself.

“I don’t have my guitar so I will just sing without it.”

I listened to him sing again, goose bumps crawling up my arms now that it was only his voice. This time he closed his eyes, escaping into the words of the song. I still stared at him, marveling at the beauty of his talent. I let myself bask in it; it wrapped around my body, filling my lungs. I breathe in his words, making them my own. When he was done, my eyes were closed, the power of his voice sealing them shut. I could feel him watching me; I didn't want to break the spell of his song so I remained frozen.

“You sing so incredibly, do you know that?” My eyes were still closed.

“Thank you,” I could hear the smile in his response.

“I am going to think of the perfect name for that song. Will you let me do that?”

“Yes,” I opened my eyes and he was staring so intensely at me, that the goose bumps sprung to life again.

“I …I … can I sing a song I wrote too?”

“Yes,” he never broke his gaze.

“You have to keep it a secret, and you can keep it afterwards if you want.”

He nodded, I wasn't sure why I even wanted to share this with Vic. Maybe it was his obvious love for music? Or how laid back he seemed? Or maybe it was just how comfortable I felt around him that compelled me to do so. I closed my eyes and really sang for Vic. Not rushed like before, but slow and filled with the secret passion I had for music.

“So baby stay away from my friends, 'cause I need them to carry me. When it's over I'll count back from ten, and you can listen to glass hearts shattering.”

When I was done Vic confessed that he wanted those four lines. I smiled and told him that he could have them. Then he grabbed my hands in his and looked into my eyes.

“Lizzy, why are you so insecure? You are really beautiful and talented.”

I couldn't take his gaze anymore so I looked at the floor, not wanting to answer his question. It was too complicated and too simple at the same time. I pulled my hands away and got up to leave.

“I will see you at dinner,” I said without turning around to look at him. As I walked away I said, “Thanks Vic, but I don't really see it that way.”

Dinner was a blur, Ally was chatty over pasta and I felt myself crawling back into my shell. I was closing off to the world again. Ally was gushing about something, and I was just happy she seemed so happy. Throughout dinner I kept looking at Vic, at Zac and then at the table. I was confused but I was starting to think that I could end up really liking one of these guys and hurting the other. My stomach clenched at the thought and I hung my head low.

“I don’t feel well, Ally.” I interrupted her blitz of joy. “I will see you tomorrow at breakfast.”

Then I walked away towards my room, the signal for dinner being over ringing as I closed my bedroom door behind me. I locked it and turned off the lights. Vic’s voice humming in my head, Zac’s touch warming my cheeks. I shook my head, these guys don’t like me, I thought. I am just being silly. Tomorrow is a new day, and I will just hang with Vic and it will all be fine. I called home, showered and drifted into sleep, repeating those same words to myself, over and over.
♠ ♠ ♠
:3 oh the places we could go...who are you shipping Lizzy with? Zac or Vic?