Cute Is What the Gods Aim For

Eighteen

So, detention. I wasn't even quite positive about what the requirements were for it. I mean like, how long is one? Double? What if you finished before your time was over? Joshua was going to be there. I still wasn't sure how I felt about him being there. I mean After today I kind of wanted nothing more then to be alone with him again...but I was so scared that it was enough for me to never want to see him again.

I walked as slowly as I could to the gym. I didn't like this new teacher-I didn't like him because it seemed as if he didn't like me. Why wouldn't he like me? I never did anything to him.

I walked into the locker room to see Joshua already filling up an old janitor's bucket with water from the sink. "Hey Kevin!" He left the water on and ran over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I let him kiss me and suddenly he thinks he can turn me to play-dough when he chooses? I don't think so. I pulled away and he looked confused. "What's wrong?" He asked and I shrugged, picking up trash. I wasn't sure if I was doing detention right.

Joshua pinned me against the wall and brushed my hair out of my face. "You're not ignoring me are you Kevin?" He whispered, staring deeply into my eyes. I shook my head slowly. I couldn't do that to him. "Good because Raven said you would break me, are you going to break me Kevin?" He asked and I shook my head again. His beauty captivated me. He stood on his tip toes and brushed his lips with mine. I wanted to scream the happiness that erupted from deep inside and spread down to every finger and toe was almost too much to bear-and I wanted more of it. I was sad when he pulled away to turn off the overflowing bucket in the sink.

He saw the look on my face and walked back over to me. "You look...sad." Joshua informed me and I looked at him, taking deep and slow breaths. I had decided to do it and now I didn't know if I was going to be able to pull it off.

You can do this.

I took a step forward and pulled him to me, kissing his lips roughly. His arms, limp at his sides were suddenly alive and rubbing my chest over my shirt. When the room started spinning I was forced to pull away so I could breathe. I looked at Joshua who's cheeks were flushed, not embarrassed-more like...flustered.

I made him like this with a kiss? Ha! I doubt it. I blushed and shuffled to pick up more trash. When I turned around I saw Joshua standing in the exact same spot as before looking at me with a different assortment of facial expressions. The most to repeat were confusion, hysterically happiness, lust, and awe. There were of course others in between. "Wha-what was that?" He finally asked and shrugged again. I had wanted to do that...for years.

"NO! Kevin, answer me." He said. I looked up at him. Was he mad at me? What the hell did I do?! "Uhh I'm sorry?" I said and Joshua shook his head quickly and walked over to where I was staring at him with one raised eyebrow. "Don't ever, ever say you're sorry for...that." He said and I raised the other eyebrow and let my mouth hang open a little. I wonder if he's on drugs.

"Are you okay?" I asked and he nodded,"Do it again." He said. I started laughing. I couldn't help it. "Do what again?" I asked and Joshua stomped his foot like a stubborn child. "DO ITTTTT!" He whined, looking at me with big eyes. I smiled and pulled him over to me again and gently pushed my lips against his. I didn't know what exactly that I had done before. Joshua pulled away after a moment and sighed with his eyes closed.

"Are you okay?" I asked after he stood there with a weird smile on his face for about a minute. He nodded and then opened his eyes and smiled hugely for me to see before helping me pick up trash and clothes that were on the floor. We were done with the locker room's after about an hour and then we had to sit in the gym until the double part of our detention was over. It wasn't hard because the new teacher found out that I wouldn't do anything I wasn't supposed to and left us in there all alone.

"Kevin?" Joshua scooted closer to me and I tried to move myself away as much as possible. I wonder how perfect everyone would think I was if they found out I had been kissing the Reverend's son. "Kevin?" He was so close to me now. He was there, I could touch him, I could feel him, I could be with him. I could have him.

No I can't

"Please talk to me." He begged and I looked up. There was pain and rejection written all over his face. Surely Joshua didn't want me back. What if this was all something Raven was doing to get me back for...for everything.

I pushed the last thought out of my head. She may hate me now but I don't think she would do that to me. "Please." He said and I heard the sorrow in his voice. "Sorry." I mumbled and Joshua smiled a little. "How come I'm not good enough for you?" He asked. I looked down at my navy blue uniform pants. "Kevin...?" He whispered and I took a deep breath,"It's not you." I said as quietly as possible. He still heard me. "It has to be, because it's not you." He said, putting his finger under my chin and holding it up so I was looking at him.

"Yes it is, I'm not perfect or good or I'm just not..." I didn't make any sense. I wanted to explain to him why this would never work. How I wasn't perfect and he was and how that just wasn't right that he had to put up with the fake person that I was.

"Is it because of him?" He asked and I pulled away, knowing immediately who him was. "No! Kevin talk to me!" He said, grabbing me and holding me so I couldn't move away from him. "Leave me alone." I begged him. I didn't want him to know about me not being perfect. I wanted him to know more then anything so that he would stop trying so hard but I didn't want him to know because I wanted him so bad. "What are you thinking about?" Joshua asked.

I bit my lip and Joshua's finger's pulled my lip away from my teeth,"What are you doing?" I smiled and Joshua giggled,"You're gunna ruin your lips." He said and this time I giggled. Joshua's face lit up,"I love it when I make you do that." He said, I hadn't realized that while we were talking that he crawled into my lap with his arms hugging my neck. "Do what?" I asked and he looked towards the PE teacher's office door. "When you're happy." He said and I smiled big. He liked it when I was happy? He made me happy.

"You wanna go to the city with me this weekend?" He asked and I bit my lip again-it was a nervous habit. Joshua did the same thing he had done before but left his fingers on my face, slowly tracing my features.

We sat there for a little while, not long enough, but soon Joshua got up and walked back over to where he was sitting away from me. The man told us we could leave and so we did. "You never answered my question." Joshua said after were off of the school grounds. What question? I think he saw the confusion on my face. "Will you come to the city with this weekend?" I remembered when he asked that. I could go but what about the Reverend? He didn't want me hanging around Joshua, or Raven, or any of them.

"I won't let him hurt you ever again Kevin." He said and I closed my eyes. He couldn't promise that could he? No, I don't think he could. It made me mad that he promised me something he couldn't and wouldn't do. "No I don't want to do to the city with you this weekend." I said and Joshua's smile slipped away. "Why...not?" He asked and I looked down at my shoes. I just started walking away because I physically couldn't answer that question. "KEVIN! Please!" He said and I stopped and looked at him. "Raven's not coming." He said and I looked back up at him.

"Think about it okay? Please?" I shrugged and started walking away again. When I got closer to my house it's when I heard the loud music that appeared to be coming from my house. I listened to it.

When I finally got to the door and opened it I saw Miley, Massie, and Susan all dancing around my living room. Miley ran over to me and grabbed my hands. "Dance with me!" She screamed over the loud music and I laughed and started dancing with her. Half an hour later we were all sitting on the couch while the music played, quieter now. Massie sat up,"Did he ask you?" She asked and I stared at her. "To go to the city!" She said and Miley's eyes got him and her mouth formed a huge smile, Susan gasped and then giggled. "Yeah..." I said and suddenly I had three teenage girl's attacking me for answers.

"What did he say?"

"Did you guys kiss?"

"AGAIN?!"

"Again? THEY KISSED?!"

"Yeahhh, god pay attention Massie."

"Damn I really need to don't I?"

"What did you say??"

"Are you going?"

"About that kissing...?"

I was thankful when my mom came home and asked us to carry in the groceries. Massie even helped. I guess she was here because Raven and Jason were having 'couple time' and Joshua hadn't been there to hang out with.

"Hey kids." My mom smiled after she came down from her room when we were done putting away the stuff she had bought. "Hey mom." I said and she smiled and pulled out ingredients to make dinner. I was glad my mom seemed to be feeling better. Maybe she was just pretending though. "How was your day Auntie Marge?" Miley asked and my mom looked up and smiled. "Well I went to the grocery store and I...worked...uh...well I guess that's it." Miley smiled and started going into a full detail reenactment of her day.

I was lost in my own thoughts of Joshua. Should I go with him? Should I stay here? Should I ignore him?

You said you wouldn't break him.

~*~

"Joshua?" I walked over to him. He stood up and walked over to me. Standing a little more the casually close-I didn't mind. "Did you think about it?" He whispered and I nodded. "Is that a 'yes I thought about it' or a 'yes I'm going with you'?" I smiled,"Both." I said and Joshua jumped up and down and grabbed my arm started running to the back of the building. "What are you do-" I was interrupted when his lips met mine and then he pulled away when the bell rang. "I'll pick you up tomorrow okay?" He asked and I nodded; still in a daze from his unexpected kiss.