Skate on Over

Chapter 6: The Fever

Patrick was on my mind all night. I did not sleep well, at all, my brain kept pondering thoughts of Patrick and our future. He was special, and in a couple of hours, he'll be gone, back to Chicago. The thought of him leaving makes me very upset. We aren't official but we have a connection that I won't let anyone ruin. Not even myself.
"Hey Kay, how was your date?" Jordyn asked as she plopped next to me at 7am.
"It was great, he was wonderful." my eyes were closing as I spoke.
"Late night?" She asked with a smirk.
"We didn't have sex. But we did get personal." Jordyn eyes got wide and her eye brows rose. She could read my mind, I swear. "He leaves today.."
"Its ok babe, just think, our season starts soon, having to juggle classes, a boyfriend, and softball would be hard."
"I've done it before Jord."
"I know, but last year things were much easier." She said with a soft smile.
My life has been a roller coaster. My mom passed almost 10 years ago, but I think about her all the time. My dad was recently in the hospital due to a serious car crash, and my two older brothers are both serving in Iraq. The worst of it was one of my teammates was killed the same year we one the NCAA title, it was so tragic, it changed my life forever.
"I can't just sit around a be sad all the time. My depression won't take over again."
"I know, but Trey left you at your worst and you guys dated in high school all the way until last year, just don't jump into things."
"He's different."
"He's a pro athlete."
"So what? He likes me and I like him, and that's all that matters."
"I'm just looking out for you." Jordyn said as she kicked her legs and jumped off my bed a jogged down stairs. I sat and thought about a lot of the things she said and most of them made sense, but something about Pat just made me want more and more. My phone buzzed and I looked over and saw that Patrick had texted me.
Hey pretty girl, I'm heading home. I'll miss you. I'll be back before you know it. Good luck with softball.

Thank you handsome. Stay in touch(:
He is a keeper.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These past two weeks have been complete shit, I thought to myself walking home from class on a Wednesday afternoon. Its almost March, meaning the season officially starts in a week, which is great, but my mind has been all about Patrick. He's so handsome, my ovaries do backflips when I see him smile.
"Hey, beautiful," a voice said. I look up from my phone to see Patrick standing by my car, "I've missed you."
"Pat, what are you doing here?"
" That wasn't the reaction I was hoping for", he said with a frown.
"No!" I ran and hugged his neck. "I just didn't expect to see you!" I planted a kiss on his soft lips he kissed me back like he missed me.
We went to lunch, at a local campus restaurant where tons of students work and go to. We were enjoying our subs when the girl from the mail room dropped my mail at the table. There was a letter, it was from my brother. My face my have given away my concern, because Patrick looked at me with a puzzled look.
"My eldest brother rarely writes to me, only on holidays and my birthday." I opened the letter and read something that made my hear sink.
Kaylynn,
I know it has been a while since we have written, but there is something you need to know. Ethan is missing, for two days now. I'm worried, and I felt like I needed to tell you before the Army sends an official letter. I miss you.

Love you always,
Brian

P.S. I sent dad a letter too. Good luck with your upcoming season. I'll be watching when I can.

"What is it?" Patrick asked reaching and holding my hand.
"It's my brother Ethan. He's missing." I could tell that Patrick couldn't find the words to say so he just held my hand. It wasn't much, but it helped.
We payed our bill and headed back to my condo. The girls were sitting in the living room and jumped up at the sight of Pat.
"Pat!" Carmen yelled. "Welcome back! Missed Kaylynn that much?"
" I sure did." Pat said with a smile. I left him to catch up with the girls and put my purse in my room. I could hear Patrick coming up behind me.
"I think your friends like me." He slipped his hands around my waist and kissed my neck. Our eyes met in the full length mirror I was standing in front of.
"That's good thing. It takes a lot to impress them." Hey, you still never told me why you came back."
"I'm only staying until tomorrow but I wanted to ask you something."
"Shoot, I'm all ears." I said with a wink.
"Kaylynn, I haven't stopped thinking about you since we met. I love your personality. You are so beautiful and I wanted to know if you wanted to be my girlfriend. I know it will be hard with us both being busy with our teams, but I want to be with you."
"Well Patrick Kane, I would be honored." I turned around and kissed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
SO sorry for the late update. I was super busy with school ending and my summer softball team starting! I hope you enjoy! New update later this week! Maybe even tomorrow(;