Status: In progress.

When I Was Your Man

You got a lot of drive I'm trying to keep up

The week went by really fast for Alex. He kept to himself the whole week and did his work like he usually did. At this time he would be doing his homework and drowning himself in the masterpiece of Blink 182 and New Found Glory. But, instead, he was laying on his back waiting for Zack and Matt to get here.

He continued to stare up at the ceiling. And before long the two boys busted into Alex's room.

"We got your message. What's the emergency???" Zack said as he tried to catch his breath.

Alex sat up in his bad. "I have no clue what to wear"

Zack looked at Alex as he narrowed his eyes. "You have to be fucking kidding me! you just made us fucking ran all the way over here!"

"But you love me" Alex offered with a small smile.

Zack rolled his eyes before sitting on the chair across from Alex. "whatchu got so far?"

*

"Alex" Matt said in a fragile tone. "Maybe, he's just not here." He rubbed at the back of his neck as he saw the look of disappointment flash across the blonde boy's face.

Alex shook his as he looked out at the field. "He has to come though. He comes to like every single game. Isn't that what popular kids fucking do with their Friday nights?!?!"

Zack laughed "You're acting as if we know!"

The three boys had been at the game for a little over 30 minutes now. And there was no sight of Rian anywhere. Alex was beginning to think he just wouldn't come. And that thought didn't make him feel very good.

The blonde shrugged his thin shoulders. "I'm going to get food."

Before either boy could answer he was on his way to the food place at the arena of the high school.

Once he arrived at the stand, Alex reached deep into his pocket and pulled out the wadded up pile of bills of money. But, of course, Alex being Alex, dropped all of the bills onto the floor. And before he could pick it up, he saw a tanned hand reach down and pick it up for him.

Alex looked up slowly to see Rian looking down at him with a smile on his face. "You dropped this" he said with a soft chuckle as he handed Alex the bills.

"thanks" the younger said as he took the bills back.

He was about to turn around to order his food when Rian grabbed his arm. Alex quickly turned back around to look at Rian with a confused look on his face.

"Let me take you out."

"E-excuse me....?" Alex asked. He was sure he was hearing Rian incorrectly. There was no way that this perfect, popular, sophomore would be asking him out on a date! Alex was tall and lanky and gawky and only a freshman.

But Rian just smiled back at Alex. "Let me take you to Dairy Queen. I owe you nachos remember." Rian winked at Alex. And Alex had to grab onto the food stand just so his legs wouldn't give out beneath him.

"I. I mean. Okay"

The elder gestured with his head in the direction his car was in and began to walk, glancing back once to make sure Alex was following him.

*

Once the two boys were seated comfortably in a booth of the local, pretty empty Dairy Queen Alex decided it would be a good time to ask Rian why he took him here.

"So do you take out everyone who spills nachos on you?" Alex teases as he continues to look at the menu with a small smile.

Rian chuckled before shaking his head. "Nah, that was defiantly a first"

"I'm still really sorry about that"

The elder boy took a sip of his sprite and shook his head. "It's seriously not a problem at all Alex"

Alex nodded as he looked up at the boy through his lashes. He still couldn't believe he was here with Rian. It just made no sense to Alex. He was nothing special at all.

But Rian made him feel special. Like he mattered. The only two people who even talked to him anymore were Zack and Matt. And having Rian talk to him just felt good. Like he was finally getting noticed for fucking once.

"Know what you're gunna get?" Rian asked Alex, bringing him out his thoughts.

Alex nodded and smiled at the older boy.

*

Rian's Face was turning red because of how hard he was laughing. "So wait how did you get your foot stuck in there?"

"My brother pushed me!!" Alex said giggling as he continued to tell Rian the story of how when he was younger and his brother, Tom got his foot stuff between rocks down at the local pound.

The two boys had been at the Dairy Queen for 2 hours now. Just talking about everything and nothing all at the same time. And Alex couldn't have been happier than he was now.

"How many years older is he than you?" Rian asked as he wiped the tears from his eyes that had accumulated from laughing at Alex's embarrassing story.

"He's 4 years older than me"

"Oh." The elder nodded as he sipped on his drink. "So he's in college"

Alex looked down at the table and shook his head. "He um, he actually committed suicide 3 summers ago."

Rian's face bent in sadness. He placed his hands on Alex's and shook his head slowly. "Oh my gosh, Alex. I'm so fucking sorry."

The little bit of contact between the boys made Alex smile a tiny bit as he looked up at the boy and shook his head "S'fine"

Rian took his hand away awkwardly and shrugged his jacket back on. "I should probably get you home now."

The younger boy nodded and put on his cardigan that he brought with him.

The ride to Alex's house was quiet. But it was a silence that both boy's were completely comfortable with as soft music played in the background.

As Rian's Honda pulled up to Alex's house, Alex climbed out the car. "thanks for everything, rian"

Rian looked up at him from where he was sitting in the drivers seat and nodded. "no problem. We should do this again." he said with a genuine smile.

"Definitely. Good night" Alex closed the door to the car and opened up the door to his house. He waved good bye to Rian once more before the silver car races down the street.

And yeah. Alex was just really fucking happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
2 updates in one night? I think i deserve a cookie.