Status: Complete <3

Steam Punk Goggles and Ink Stained Hands

What I Got In Store Won't Be Too Kind

DREW’S POV

~

“You actually came” I tried to keep the surprise out of my voice and failed pretty badly; Mark just smirked at me.

“Yeah, I was interested. Usually a short ass like you won’t have the balls to approach me, let enough meet after school”. He looked altogether too cocky, like he was humouring me by being here.

I’ll wipe that smirk off of his face.

“Yeah, well I’m not your usual short ass. I heard that you’ve been giving my friend a bit of trouble” I growled menacingly, trying to sound threatening.

“Who, me? I would never dream of giving anyone any trouble!” he said mockingly before laughing dryly at the end. “Who’s this friend then, Woolnough?” he asked, taking a step towards me. I had to physically resist the urge to step backwards.

“Shane Sumner, or Barrone, ‘e goes by both” I stated.

“Sumner…Sumner… oh yeah! Artsy faggot! He’s fun to mess with!” he laughed lightly as recognition lit up his face.

“Well, I suggest you leave him alone, if I ever see another bruise on him I’ll-” I was cut off from stating my threat by him holding his hands in the air and talking over me.

“I think you have the wrong guy, woolnough. Me and the lads tease the kid, who’d miss that golden opportunity?! But we don’t hurt him. Bruises are evidence, you know? Words? They can get ignored, no proof of anything. Lay a finger on the kid though and suddenly we all get done for assault. Please, Woolnough. We’re not as stupid as we’re made out to be”. He rolled his eyes exasperatedly at me while I thought through what he’d said. Was he telling the truth? Weren’t they the ones hurting Drew? Or was it just an act to make me leave?

“How do I know that you’re telling the truth and that you’re not just lying to me?” I questioned, not letting my guard down.

“Simple. You don’t. You can either believe me and leave or you can decide that I’m lying and get the shit beaten out of you because, frankly? I have people to see and practices to attend and this isn’t amusing anymore. So what’s it going to be?”

I genuinely couldn’t tell whether he was being honest or not, but when it came down to it, who else would be beating Barrone up? Kier said he’d seen these guys giving him a rough time and he’d just admitted that they give him shit!

I don’t believe him. Of course he would lie about it! If it’s a fight he wants, a fight’s what he’ll get!

“Well, I’m sure as hell not going to run away from some arrogant bully”. With that, I stepped forward and swung my fist towards him, something I have never done in my life. Getting into a fight when I’ve never been in so much as a scuffle was probably not my best decision. But I was mad, and not going to let him get away with hurting Barrone.

I felt my fist connect with the side of his face, knocking him back slightly. A guttural growl left his throat as he lunged forward, pushing me roughly in the chest so that my back collided with the lockers behind me. I kicked out with my legs as he punched me in the jaw. Pain swelled in my cheek but I ignored it the best I could, helped by the adrenaline kicking in. He grasped at my waist, lifted me up slightly and threw me to the floor across the hallway. I tried to reach out and grab his ankle but I wasn’t quick enough. I felt his shoe connect with my ribs one, two, three times. I was scared that I was going to hear a sickening snap any moment now but thankfully none came. He briefly stopped hitting and kicking me to glare down at me.

Great, this is it. Now he’s going to stop with the skin wounds and start breaking some bones. Fantastic.

“Well that was a pathetic fight, Woolnough. Nice job sticking up for your little boyfriend!” He laughed cruelly at me before spitting at my face. With that, he spun on heel and marched off down the hallway, a predatory smirk on his face.

I lay there on the cold floor, gasping for breath and clutching my side. It hurt so damn much! I don’t know how long I just lay there, in pain with no will to move my aching body. After a while, I heard footsteps coming closer along the laminate floor.

Please don’t let it be Mark! Anyone else, preferably someone willing to help me!

“Drew?!” I head someone cry out and the pace of the footsteps increase tenfold, as if the person was now running.

I slowly opened my eyes and looked up at the person standing over me.

BARRONE!

“B-Barrone?! What are you doing here?” I asked, confused as to why he wasn’t at home, like the rest of the other students.

Oh, wait, he’s probably just come out of detention…

“I could ask the same thing of you! Are you okay? What happened?!” He dropped down beside me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me upwards so I was sitting up with his support.

“This guy Mark, I confronted him about him being a bully. I couldn’t stand him hurting you…” I breathed, holding a hand against my bruised ribs.

“What? Why did you confront that dickhead? And what do you mean about him hurting me? He insults me but it’s nothing I can’t ignore!”

Wait, so Mark was telling the… Ah shit!

“Well, the bruise on your cheek… I asked my friend and he said he’d seen Mark pick on you… I was trying to-”

“For God’s sake, Drew! What did I tell you?! I told you to stay out of it! Seriously! Mark doesn’t beat me up for fucks sake!” Barrone looked angry now and it scared me slightly, I was only trying to help! “Why didn’t you just listen to me! You wouldn’t have gotten beaten up if you’d have just listened!” He huffed and looked at the floor. After a while, the anger faded from his eyes and he looked back to me again.
“I’m sorry it’s just… I don’t know… Do you need to go to hospital?” he asked gently, wrapping his other arm around me cautiously.

“No, I’ll be fine I think. It’s just surface wounds”. With his help, I got to my feet and rested slightly against one of the lockers. “If it’s not Mark who’s hurting you then who-”

“Just don’t, Drew.” He said with finality before taking a deep breath and continuing. “Um, as long as you’re okay, I guess I better get going…” Barrone started, picking up his bag which he’d discarded on the floor upon finding me.

I’m not going to lie, when he had his arms around me, a spark of excitement ran through me. I didn’t want him to leave just yet.

“Ah, actually Barrone, I was wondering… do you want to hang out?” I looked at him and saw the confliction in his eyes, like he couldn’t decide what to say. “I promise I won’t mention anything about the other day, or Mark or your cheek?” I added after a second, hoping that that was what was making him have to consider.

After a couple of seconds he smiled down at me, his decision evidently made.

“Okay, then. As long as you don’t bring any of that up”. I’d noticed earlier that the bruise wasn’t actually visible today. He must have covered it with foundation this morning like he was doing in the bathroom. At least that way it wouldn’t be at the forefront of my mind like it would be if I was looking at it.

I beamed at him and started heading towards the exit of the school. I knew exactly where we could go for a while, where we could be undisturbed and left alone.

“I know the perfect place we can go”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have an update <3

~KilljoyAndProudOfIt