Status: ((hopefully)) regular updates

Secondhand

Chapter 10

Before I could even respond, there was an obnoxiously loud banging on the apartment door.

"You just stay here. I'll get it."

Austin scrambled out of bed and pulled on a navy blue shirt before going to open the door. Whoever was out there really wanted in and the battering of the door was insistent. I heard Austin turn the lock and his voice filled the air soon after.

"Can I help you?"

"Where is he?"

"Where is who?"

"The ginger kid."

Me? Oh god. What did they want with me?

"I don't know who you're talking about. I'm terribly sorry."

"Where the fuck is he?"

I heard an unmistakable click. No. It couldn't be.

"Look, I don't know who you're looking for, but I'd really appreciate if you didn't point that thing at me."

I looked to Austin's end table, praying. Miraculously, his phone lay there. I hit the emergency call button and waited for an answer.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"A man is in the apartment I'm currently in. A friend of mine answered the door and whoever the man is made demands for me. He was refused and he pulled a gun," I whispered.

"We will send a team to your location. Just stay calm. Don't go out there. We don't need more people hurt than necessary."

"O-okay. Please, get them here quickly. I can't stand for something to happen to him."

"Of course. We try our best."

"Where the fuck is he?!"

"Please calm down. I don't know who it is you want."

Austin was being so calm, so brave, stalling the guy at the door.

"The police should be to you soon, Mr.?"

"Ashby. My name is Alan Ashby."

"Alright Mr. Ashby. It's going to be fine."

"I know he's here! Tell me where he is or I swear to god I'll shoot."

"I beg you not to, as I still don't know who it is that you want. I can assure you, though, that I'm the only one here."

"Police! drop your weapon!"

A shot rang out & I prayed the intruder had not hit Austin.

"Drop the weapon now!"

I heard the gun clatter to the ground and the footsteps of the policemen moving to apprehend the man.

"Take him out of here. Are you alright?"

I figured it was safe to come out of the bedroom at that point, so I pulled on one of Austin's shirts and went into the living room. I was met by the sight of a concerned officer and a bleeding Austin.

"He just got my arm. A bandage should fix it right up."

"You need to go to the hospital to get that checked out."

"How do I get myself there?"

"I'll drive you. Come on."

"Who are you?" The officer questioned.

"I'm a close friend of his. I'll take him to the hospital. Thank you for everything, officer. I think we've got it from here."

The man nodded and receded out the front door. I grabbed Austin's keys from the island and took him by his uninjured elbow.

"Sit here real quick."

He did as I said and sat at one of the stools that lined the island. I helped him slide shoes on and quickly laced my own.

"Where's your car parked?" I asked as we walked out the door together.

"Front lot. The black Camry."

I went to the front of the building and pointed at the car I assumed was his. He nodded and we headed in its direction.

~

The drive to the hospital wasn't long and Austin was quickly taken back to be examined. I paced nervously through the lobby. Who was it that had shot him? Why did they want me? Was it the same guys who jumped me? Was it the man who raped me? What did they want?

So many confused, hopeless thoughts paraded through my mind. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Austin had, quite literally, taken a bullet for me.

As I thought of him, he came out of the wooden doors that led to various patient and operating rooms. His arm was secured in a green cast and my guilt flew through the roof.

"Oh my god, Austin. I'm so sorry this happened to you."

"It's okay, Alan. The damage isn't permanent. They just don't want anything to happen to the bone or something while it's healing. On the bright side, I'm free to go."

"I feel so terrible."

"Hey, it's okay. It's not like you knew that that was going to happen. I'll be fine, I promise. I sorta want to go home though."

"Oh! Yeah, of course. I'll take you home."

"Alan?"

"Yeah?"

"What do all these guys want with you?"

"I don't have any idea."

"They can't take you away from me. Not now," he said, sounding like a scared child.

"They won't, Aus. They can't."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've been so bad about updating & that this is so short. I'll try to make the next chapter longer. Thank you so much to everyone reading this. I really appreciate those of you who have subscribed and recommended this fic. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one who cares about it. Also, thank you to those of you who comment. It makes my day.

Enjoy.

xo,
Presley