In Their Eyes

Chapter 7

Donovan tried to get me to open up more, and on any other occasion I would have been happy to let him comfort me, but not today. "Donovan, just leave me alone," I practically yelled as he tried to engulf me in a hug.

He looked hurt, and a his voice came out steely. "Fine." He started to walk away before turning back to me. "You know, Ginger, this is why you don't have friends. When people try to help you, you shove it right back in their faces."

I looked him in the eye. "If I can't even help myself, how can I save Aisling? I have to protect her, and if that means keeping up barriers then so be it."

"You can get others people help, damn it! If not me then, why not your boyfriend?''

I laughed. "Because I'm so going to walk up to the guy that abuses me on a daily basis and say, 'Hey, I know you like hitting me around, but will you save my sister from our mother? I'll let you do whatever you want with me in return."

"Gin, I'm so sorry. Please let me try to help you."

I nodded and we started talking. An hour or two later we decided to head back home. Mom would flip if she didn't think I went to school. On the way out I was met with a shocking sight. Aisling and Ella were walking into the cemetery.

I gasped when I saw Aisling face and ran to her. I touched her lip and face gingerly, but she still winced from pain. I gathered my sister into a hug. "Oh, baby, what happened? Why would mother do this?"

"She knew you left early and thought I knew something, and wouldn't tell her. I'll be fine though."

Tears started welling in my eyes, for the up-tenth time today, and my hand covered my quavering mouth. "It's all my fault, Aisling, I'm so sorry. If I had just been a little stronger I could have prevented this."

"There's nothing you can do about it now. But, we have to be home before mom gets there."

I nodded, then looked at Donovan. "Take Ella with you. She doesn't need to be mixed up with this." Before he or Ella could argue I grabbed Aisling's hand and ran to my car. We arrived home and I lead Aisling to her room.

"Aisling, don't come out of this room. No matter what you hear. Mother hurt you too many times today, when it should have been me."

"But, Ginger, you can't do this by yourself!" she interjected.

I looked at my younger sister sternly. "Aisling, just stay in here. I'm big enough to do this by myself. Besides, she can't think you had anything to do with this, and I'm a better liar."

Right then the front door opened. I kissed Aisling's head before leaving the room. I went to find my mother downstairs. I saw her standing there as cool and collected as ever. "Good evening, mother. Aisling said you wanted to see me?"

She backhanded me, and I made no move to touch it or react. "And just where were you this morning?"

Her eyes watched my and I choose my words carefully. "I had to make up a history test this morning, and I didn't want to wake Aisling up early this morning."

Her eyes narrowed as she took in my words. "Very well then. Why aren't you getting ready for the dance? Todd will be here with his bother for you and Aisling in two hours."

I nodded. "Okay I'll help Aisling get ready."
♠ ♠ ♠
Bet you though it was going to go down. Haha not yet my dears, not yeet.

Yup so here's this horribly written chapter, I've been sick. :(