Still the One

XXXV.

I wake up with my legs draped over several pillows. It’s not the same. With a sigh I climb out of the bed and realize it was already past noon. Harry was probably going on stage any minute now. I shower putting on a clean sweater and a pair of tights with my favorite fuzzy socks. As I was cleaning around the flat a bit my phone is ringing. ‘Hello?’ I answer as I turn off the vacuum cleaner.

‘Hey Lib.’ Harry says into the phone. In the background there’s loud cheering and talking.

‘Hey Harry.’ I reply with a small smile. ‘Having a party?’

‘No.’ he chuckles, ‘just finished the show. I’m going to shower then ring you on Skype, are you free?’

‘Yes I am actually.’

‘Alright well I’ll talk to you soon then.’

‘Talk to you soon.’ I hang up the phone. I hurry into my room and comb through my hair. I decide on a high ponytail at the top of my head. I run black eyeliner over my eyes then rub my lips with my favorite Eos.

Ding Ding Ding

My laptop beeps about an hour later. I plop down onto the bed and study the screen. Incoming: H. Styles. I press accept and watch as the screen loads. Harry appears on the screen lacking a shirt showing off the black ink over his body. His hair was all over his head and appeared a bit damp. He smiled cheekily using a towel on his face. ‘Hello!’

‘Hi!’ I wave in return.

‘Can you hear me?’ he shouts. I wince and nod my head.

‘Yeah I hear you.’ I giggle. Harry moves his camera around frustrated. I hear him curse under his breath. ‘What’s wrong?’

‘Baby?’ he asks.

‘Yeh?’

‘Are you there?’

‘Yes Harry.’ I wave, ‘can you not hear me?’ The screen goes dark all of a sudden. Minutes later Harry calls back.

‘That’s better.’ He says with a pleased smile, ‘hi Libby.’

‘Hi Harry.’ I say in return, ‘what was the matter?’

‘The hotel’s signal isn’t the greatest.’ Harry replies.

Harry’s Point of View

Well after cursing out this laptop, my Skype finally decided to work. I was now face-to-face with my Libby. Her long hair is tossed up in a ponytail. She has some cream sweater on. I never seen it before but I like it. The thin black eye makeup is ran on the lines of her eyes. She isn’t wearing hardly any makeup but she’s beautiful. A smile dances on her lips as her eyes fill with curiosity. ‘What is it?’ she asks.

‘Nothing.’ I shake my head with a small laugh. God I miss her. ‘How are you?’ I ask instead.

‘I’m good.’ She tells me, ‘the party last night was great. Caroline loved her gift.’

‘That so?’ I wonder. In other words was that prick Daniel there? The thought of me being hours and miles away while he breathes the same air as her makes my stomach turn. I would ask if he made an appearance but I don’t want to be that boyfriend. The clingy, overly protective type.

‘Yeh, it was great seeing them again.’ She says referring to her football friends. I’ve never met any of them but I guess they’re okay if Libby thinks so. I don’t know how fond they are of me yet either. ‘Enough about me. How was the show?’ she asks. I simply smile. Typical Libby. The attention’s on her for a few minutes and she’s ready to ask about someone else. She thinks she’ll bore me with her daily activities but she doesn’t. I’d love to hear her just ramble on about what she ate, watched, how she slept, who she talked to, how her classes went. ‘Harry.’ She says breaking into my daydream.

‘The show was insanely loud.’ I inform her, ‘one of the loudest we’ve had in a while. All the Australian fans have been so welcoming. I wish you see it.’

‘I do too.’ She replies tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Just a few days ago she finally got out of London in eighteen years. She was so infatuated with America. She looked past all the negatives and saw beauty in everything from the stars to the faded graffiti on buildings. It amazes me how she’s never been out of London, ever.

‘You’re still coming to visit me?’ I ask. I wanted to show her all the world. For her to see what I get to see.

‘Yes, I am.’ She confirms, ‘but we won’t have holidays for a bit.’

‘Ditch.’ I laugh. She gasps laughing as well.

‘Are you asking me to ditch uni Harry Styles?’

‘You did it before.’ I remind her, teasing. She bursts out in another fit of laughter.

‘That is true. But I’ll wait for holidays this go around.’

‘Hurry up!’ I whine. ‘Talk about you for a bit.’ I say dying to hear what she’s been up to.

‘Like what?’ she asks slightly embarrassed.

‘Anything.’ I shrug.

‘Well. I’m going to take up a new project.’ She says.

‘Oh yeh? What is it?’ I lean back on the bed with several pillow propping me up.

‘I’m going to get the photographs from America developed. And I’m going to use a wall in my flat and showcase all of my photographs.’ She goes on and on about her plans of the photography wall. I smile with amusement as she continues. I occasionally nod to let her know I’m listening. She stops midsentence and stares at me, ‘what?’ she giggles. It’s like music to my ears.

‘Nothing, keep going.’ I shake my head. She nods and finishes where she left off, ‘I can’t wait to see it baby.’ I tell her.

‘Zayn’s graffiti room actually inspired me.’ She says. ‘Don’t tell him that though.’ I laugh and promise I won’t. As we continue to talk my eyelids grow heavier but I can’t stop talking. She’s so captivating. My head slowly begins to fall. ‘Harry!’ she pipes. I snap back wiping my eyes.

‘I’m sorry baby.’ She just laughs in return nodding her head in response.

‘You go to bed and we’ll talk later.’ She suggests. I sigh but I know she’s right. ‘Call me when you wake up?’

‘You’ll be sleep.’ I remind her.

‘We’ll figure it out.’

‘Okay. Talk to you later Lib.’

‘Goodnight Harry.’ She waves before the screen goes back. I slid my laptop onto the floor and quickly fall asleep.

~*~

I wake up the next day bright and early. I trudge across the room for the daily meeting. Paul sipped on a cup of steaming coffee. ‘What’s the day looking like?’ Niall inquires.

‘Well you guys have the day off today. So do what you please.’

‘Surfing!’ Louis and Liam shout together. Liam then looks over to Danielle who is just excited as they are. Zayn eyes Perrie who’s standing in the corner with Amy and Danielle. I know he’ll be spending his day with her. Niall will most likely hang with Amy around the city. Louis looks on as Danielle sits on Liam’s lap. We’re in the same boat. Our girls were back in London because of uni classes. Danielle and Perrie were off from their careers right now so they could easily come along. Amy didn’t have any other obligations stopping her. I wish Libby could come along on tour with me but she’s at the uni to be a fact checker. If you knew Libby you’d know she’d be great at something like that. So as she supports me, I support her.

‘Harry.’ Niall tosses a pillow at me. I notice all eyes are on me.

‘What?’

‘What are you doing today mate?’ Liam asks.

‘I don’t know yet.’ I shrug.

‘He’ll call Lizard.’ Louis chuckles. I shrug with a small laugh. They’re probably right. I could just stay in all day and call Libby. But she has class this morning so that’s no good.

‘I have been wanting to get a tattoo.’ I run my hand up my arm.

‘I’m down!’ Tom, Lou’s (our hairdresser) boyfriend says. ‘I’ve been dying to go too.’ I look at his pale skin covered in a variety of tattoos. Libby would say she liked them and stare at the new ink for hours. Gently tracing the design with her long fingers. But she’d probably kill me if I came back covered in ink like Tom over there. I don’t think she likes it that much.

‘It’s settled then. We’ll catch you lads later.’ Louis, Liam, and Danielle all slip out of the room. Zayn and Perrie walk out not too long after Amy and Niall.

‘I’m just going to get ready. Meet you in the lobby in half an hour?’ I look over to Tom.

‘Yeh, sure.’ He agrees before I walk back to my room. I pull out one of my Ramones tee shirts and a pair of black jeans then walk to take a shower. Once I get out of the shower I slip my feet into my boots then rake my fingers through my hair. As promised I walked down to the hotel lobby with Preston right behind me. The three of us climb into a sleek black car and were off.

Libby’s Point of View

As I’m gathering my belongings from my last class of the day, journalism the professor stops me. ‘Yes ma’am?’ I ask curiously repositioning my bag on my shoulder.

‘A friend of mine is in need of an intern down at Glamour Magazine, you may have heard of it.’ A smile plays on her lips as I gasp. Glamour Magazine is one of the most prestigious magazines in the world. ‘She asked if I knew anyone and you’re my brightest student, I know you’ll go there and represent not only me but the school.’ She goes on to say.

‘Thank you so much.’ I beam. I couldn’t help reach out and hug her.

‘Here’s all the information. She’s expecting a call from you.’

‘Thanks again!’ I say waving as I leave. I look down at the single piece of paper she placed in my hand.

Jaquelin Woodworth – Editor in Chief of Glamour Magazine.

This is really happening. I pull my phone out of my bag and text Harry.

Babe! I have great news- call me as soon as you can!

I would tell Eleanor but she’s already gone for the day for her fashion internship. I hurry to my car and sit in the seat. I dial the number listed and wait impatiently as it rings. ‘Jaquelin Woodworth’s office.’ a woman chimes into the phone.

‘Yes, I’m Libby White. Mrs. Woodworth should be expecting my call.’ I say into the phone. After a few seconds she replies.

‘Yes, how are you Miss White I’ll transfer you now.’ She says. I thank her then wait as it rings again.

‘This is Jaqueline.’ She states.

‘Hi Jaqueline, its Libby White.’

‘Libby White! How are you? I’m so thrilled to hear back from you.’

‘I’m doing well, thank you.’

‘Good, good. Listen. Are you free, right now?’

‘I am actually.’

‘Great. Could you stop by the office? I kind of want to speak to you face-to-face.’

‘Of course.’

‘Alright, we’re right on the corner of Mockingbird Lane and Reign Drive. It’s a large building you can’t miss it.’

‘I know. I’ve driven by several times.’ I tell her.

‘Good, see you soon!’

‘See you soon.’ I repeat hanging up the phone. I toss my phone aside and fasten my seat belt. About twenty minutes later I was walking into Glamour. A brunette sat behind the counter swiftly typing away on the hidden keyboard, ‘hi I’m Libby White.’ She smiles in return and presses a button on her phone.

‘Hey Jackie, Libby White’s here.’ She says into the phone, ‘go right on in.’ she points to two large wooden double doors. I thank her and slowly begin walking. I look down at my outfit for a second. Thank goodness I decided on a skirt and blouse today. Inside a woman dressed in a short sleeved white dress and bright green heels signals me inside. I quietly enter as she continues to talk on the phone. Her dark hair is pinned up with a few strands here and there.

No no. That’s not going to work.

She says into the phone.

I will need it before then. If you can’t do it. I will find someone who can.

She’s tough.

I look at all of the personal items along the white shelves in her office. Hm. A family photo. I’m guessing that’s her son funny because that looks…. Looks like… Daniel? Oh God no. Please no. ‘So!’ she claps loudly causing me to jump, ‘ready to talk?’
♠ ♠ ♠
i was actually really excited to post this chapter... let me know what you guys think!