The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Lunch Date With My Rival

“Where you going?” Geno frowned as I pulled my beanie over my head.
“Out for lunch,” I shoved my phone in my pocket.
“On own? In New York?”
“No with Adam.”
“Adam?” he pressed.
“Henrique, New Jersey Devils.”
“Why?”
“You go out with Ovechkin and I don’t question you so I can go out with Adam and not be questioned by you,” I headed out the door before he could say anything else.

To say I was annoyed at Geno would be understatement. I couldn’t deal with him right now. I just needed some space and he needed to know that I wasn’t going to get caught up in whatever it was that he was playing at.

“You know I haven’t had a lunch this peaceful in months,” I sat back in my chair and took a sip of my water.
“Really?” Adam smiled that award winning smile of his.
“Yeah,” I couldn’t help but smile back, “it’s nice getting away from the team, they drive me crazy.”
“I bet, it must be hard being a girl in all of this.”
“It is sometimes but I can handle it, you should know that.”
“Oh I do.”
“How is it?” I winced getting a closer look at the stitches across his eyebrow.
He reached up and touched it only for the pain to show all over his face.
“Don’t… Adam,” I sighed.
“What?” he laughed.
“If you touch it you will make it worse,” I frowned.
“It’s fine,” he shrugged.

A part of me wanted to reach forward and inspect it for myself but touching was out of the question right now. I couldn’t be seen out with him right now, be close with him and then for it to maybe just be nothing. I wasn’t going to give myself a name, or at least let someone have a chance to make something up about me.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” he pushed his chair out.
“Uh yeah, sure,” I agreed following suit.

I really was enjoying spending time with Adam. He was a nice guy. Granted the guys on my team were nice but they were too close, it was too risky. But if I had feelings for Adam we were far enough away that it wouldn't effect us. Not professionally anyways. But still close enough that we would see each other often.

“So what is it like playing on the same team as Crosby?” he stuck his hands into his pocket’s.
“You know he isn’t any different from any of the others?”
“Yeah but he isn’t the face of NHL for no reason,” he shrugged.
“Honestly Sid is the least of my worries,” I pulled my jacket around my tighter feeling the dizziness overcome me again.
“Really?” he stopped with confusion all over his features.
“Yes,” I rubbed my temples trying to ease the ache pulsing through my head.
“Are you ok?” he put his hand on my shoulders and steadied me as I wobbled.
“No I think I…”