The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Needing Time To Think

When I woke in the morning Geno was still there, slumped in the chair, snoring away. He looked so uncomfortable and I didn’t know why he hadn’t gone back to the hotel already. They had a game tonight and he needed his rest.

“Geno,” I reached over sleepily and touch his hand, “wake up.”
He flinched and sat up in hurry, “something wrong? You ok?” he had a crazy look in his eyes like he was paranoid and hadn’t slept a wink.
“I am fine,” I pulled myself up, “but you sleep.”
“I was,” he ran his hand through his disheveled hair, “you wake me,” he frowned stifling back a yawn.
“No you need sleep in an actual bed.”
“I ok, not want to leave you on own,” he settled back in the chair and didn’t look like he was going to leave anytime soon.
“Geno,” I sighed, “I am fine here on my own, I am not going anywhere.”
“I not go anywhere either,” he shut his eyes ignoring the disapprovingly look I was giving him.

I guess it was nice to have someone stay with me. Granted it would have been better if it was Sid because I didn’t have this guilty, gut wrenching feeling in my stomach whenever he was around.

A part of me wished that Geno and I had gotten off on a better foot, he was nice and when I really thought about it he wasn’t any different from Sid. He was there for me whether I wanted it or not I was just too stubborn to see it. I guess I didn’t be falling for someone who I knew I didn’t have a chance with.

“Geno your still here?” Sid stopped in the doorway waking the poor guy up again.
“Yes,” he grumbled turning over in the chair.
“Go,” Sid grabbed his jacket, “get some real sleep.”
“Fine,” he climbed to his feet, yawning and mustering up another smile for me, “bye Cam.”
“Cya,” I couldn’t help but smile back.

“Feeling better today?” he sat down on the edge of the bed.
“Yeah I am ok.”
“Not going to break down crying on me again?” he smiled as I began to blush.
“I am sorry about that.”
“It’s ok,” he put his hand on mine letting his thumb slide over my knuckles.
“Sid…” I gulped letting my eyes trail up to his before we were interrupted by the doctor.

“Miss Arnett.”
“Yes?” I sat up as Sid moved back to the chair next to my bed.
“We have your results,” he shifted looking at Sid.
“It’s ok you can say it in front of him.”
“Ok, well it’s type 1 diabetes.”

I kind of just blanked out as he talked. I was going to have re-focus and try so much harder. Not only did I have the pressure of hockey but now the illness was always going to be there.

“Cam?” I was dragged out of my thoughts as Adam walked into the room, “are you ok?”
“Umm,” I found my hand shaking, “I think I will be alright,” I felt a little lost continuing to stare at nothing.
“Is there anything I can do to help?” he looked between Sid and I as he walked over to sit on the edge of my bed.
“No it’s ok. I just need some time to think.”

“Adam, how about we go get some coffee?” Sid spoke up.
“Uh ok,” he frowned before leaving to follow Sid.

If there was anything worse right now it was seeing Adam. Sure I thought he was cute but I didn’t know how I was going to do anything about it right now. I was far too preoccupied for anything right now.