Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

Lothlórien

A caravan of Elves led the Fellowship along a ridge, through the golden woods. Boromir kept glancing at Frodo behind him, as though concerned for the Hobbit. The group came to the end of the high ridge and looked out. Below them, behind the mists, under sunset, a great glade of trees rose above the world, green and gold, rays of light drifting from the branches of trees.

“Caras Galadhon...the heart of Elvendom on earth. Realm of the Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel, Lady of Light…”
Halidir said, proudly

The Fellowship arrived at Caras Galadhon, and they climbed a winding way among the great trees as the last rays of evening sun stream through their trunks. Arryn had to stop multiple times, for the sake of her stomach. Legolas waited loyally for her, and he did have to help her up the stairs. He wound an arm around her waist, and she draped her arm, around his shoulder. She hobbled up the long staircase until night fell.

In the blue glow of a moonlit night, the Fellowship climbed a twisting stair about the trunk of a tree, past glimmering lights of silver and blue. Far above, the silhouetted shapes of the shadowy tree-branches loomed. Passing numerous platforms, they come to a great palace in the trees, lit with silvery lights. A curving walkway lay before them, leading up a low stair to an archway. Three-pronged, golden leaves were scattered about. Slowly, they gathered before the arch as Haldir steps to one side, and looked up. With a glow issuing forth from them, a Lord and Lady, descend to meet the Fellowship, hand in hand. The Fellowship stared in awe. Aragorn touched his head reverently in greeting.

The light dimmed, and before the Fellowship the Lord and Lady, Galadriel and Celeborn, halted. The Lady’s eyes focused on Frodo, and Arryn but Celeborn spoke.

“The Enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine there are here, yet ten there were, set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf?”

As he spoke, Lady Galadriel’s eyes flickered to Aragorn’s, who looked up.

“For I much desire to speak with him...I can no longer see him from afar…”
Celeborn finished

“Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land…...He has fallen into shadow…”
She said, with sorrow laced in her voice

Aragorn nodded slightly, and Lord Celeborn turned to Galadriel.

“He was taken by both Shadow and Flame: a Balrog of Morgoth.”

Legolas said, speaking for the Fellowship, his voice was laced with venom.
Arryn felt a few hot tears try to escape from her eyes, and she squeezed her eyes shut, to prevent them from showing.

Celeborn’s sorrow and surprise was evident.

“For we went needlessly into the net of Moria.”
Legolas finished.

Gimli bowed his head, sadly.

“Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his whole purpose. Do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-dûm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Glóin.”
She said, calmly, but her voice seemed to bring hope to the Fellowship’s hearts.

The Dwarf looked up at her words.

“For the world has grown full of peril. And in all lands, love is now mingled with grief.”
She added

Boromir turned his pained face to the Lady, blinking and swallowing hard. The Lady stared back, starlight glimmering in her eyes. Boromir looked away, weeping, and Arryn could feel the sadness and pain radiating off of Boromir, and it made her heart heavy, and sink.

“What now becomes of this Fellowship? Without Gandalf, hope is lost.”
Celeborn asked the Fellowship.

A moment passed, and Aragorn sought for the answer in his head.

“The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all.” Galadhriel said, grimly

Boromir looked back up at her, unsure of himself.

“Yet hope remains while the company is true.”
Galadhriel said, smiling.

Galadriel looked at Sam and smiled. Sam continued to gaze at her, unlike Boromir.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace.”
Galadhriel said, with hope in her voice.

Arryn felt herself about to fall over in pain. She wobbled over slightly, and she nearly fell off of the platform. Legolas grabbed her arm, keeping her from falling over.

“Arryn…”
He said, grabbing her arm.

Her eyes going a bit glossy and she felt her eyes close.

********
Arryn opened her eyes, and she was hit with a wave of pain. She looked to her left to see…Aragorn sitting beside her. She smiled weakly at him, before she grimaced in pain. She looked up to see a female elf, with a bloody cloth in her hand.

“Hello Arryn. We have just dressed your wound, you will be fine a few minutes, and you need to relax as well…”
She said, her voice was as clear as a bell.

“As soon as you are ready, there is a bath drawn for you…”
She said, smiling before she turned and walked out of the room.

Aragorn gently stroked the forehead of his sister, and he pushed the hair out of her eyes. She smiled weakly at her brother. He stood up, and kissed her forehead, before walking out of the room. Arryn stretched and she walked over to the bath, and she pulled the dressing screen in front of the bath. She scrubbed the dirt, blood, and oil from her skin, returning it to its original fairness.

She roughly washed the filth from her hair, and soon the bath water was beginning to fill with dry blood and dirt. She stepped out from the bath, and she wrapped a fluffy white towel around her pale, shivering body. She stepped out from the dress screen, to find a few dresses lay out on the bed. She picked a pale pink nightdress, and she brushed out her hair, and she put it in a soft braid. She stepped out of the room, and she began to walk down to where the Fellowship was resting for the night.

***

Meanwhile, back on the ground, an area was provided for the Fellowship to rest in. The Hobbits were settling down to rest. In the trees, the Elves’ singing could be heard, and one female voice rose above the others, who sang softly in the background.

“A Olórin i yaresse… (Olórin who once was…)
Mentaner i Numeherui (Sent by the Lords of the West)
Tírien i Rómenóri… (To guard the Lands of the East…)” The female elf sang

Melme nóren sina (Our love for this land)
núra ala (Is deeper than the deeps)
Eäro… (Of the sea…) The other elves sang in the background.

“A lament for Gandalf.”
Legolas said, tentatively..

Aragorn was sharpening his sword as Gimli slept beside him, beneath a lily-shaped lamp glowing in the dark..

“What do they say about him?”
Merry asked, as he was setting up his bed.

“I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near.”
He said, sadly

“…Maiaron i Oiosaila, (Wisest of all Maiar,)
Manan elye etevanne (What drove you to leave)
Nórie i malanelye? (That which you loved?)

…Ilfirin nairelma (Yet we will cast all away)
ullume nucuvalme. (Rather that submit.)
Nauva i nauva... (What should be shall be...)”

Sam crouched down to make his bed.

“I bet they don't mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them.”
Sam said, to Merry

Frodo watched them from a distance in the shadows. After a moment, Sam stood up.

“The finest rockets ever seen,
They burst in stars of blue and green…”
Sam began

Arryn scrunched her nose up, as Gimli snored loudly.

“Or after thunder...silver showers…”
Sam continued, despite the snoring that was coming from Gimli.

Aragorn turned, annoyed, and swatted the Dwarf’s pillow, eliciting a grunt from Gimli.

“Came falling like a...rain of flowers…”
Sam tried, but he squatted down again.

“Oh, that doesn't do they justice by a long road.”
Sam muttered.

Arryn smiled, and she sat down under the alcove. She leaned her head against the rock, and she closed her eyes for a few moments, before she heard the hobbit’s small voices.

“Arryn…”
She heard Pippin ask.

She opened her eyes.

“Yes?”

“We cannot sleep; do you think you could sing us a lullaby?”
Arryn smiled, and she wrapped her arms around the 4 Hobbits, and she held them close.

'May it be an evening star
Shines down upon you
May it be when darkness falls.
Your heart will be true.
You walk a lonely road.
Oh! How far you are from home

Mornie utulie *Darkness has come*
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie *Darkness has fallen*
A promise lives within you now

May it be the shadow's call
Will fly away
May it be your journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun

Mornie utulie *Darkness has come*
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie *Darkness has fallen*
A promise lives within you now

A promise lives within you now'

She felt the Hobbits nodding off to sleep, and she kissed their curly heads, and she carefully moved away from them, allowing them to sleep.

***
Aragorn looked out from his resting place beside Gimli’s bed. He got up, and he moved past a small table with silver chalices glinting upon it. He walked over to Boromir, who was seated alone on a great tree root. A fountain gurgled, statues danced in solemn stone, and lights twinkled beyond, invitingly. The lament continued.

“…Ú-reniathach (No more will you wander)
i amar galen (The green fields of this earth)
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen. (Your journey has ended in darkness.)”

“Take some rest. These borders are well protected.”
Aragorn said

“I will find no rest here. I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, "Even now, there is hope left." But I cannot see it. It is long since we had any hope.”
Boromir said, grimly

Aragorn went and sat down beside Boromir.

“My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing. And now our…our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I— I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored…”
He sighed.

“Have you ever seen it Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?”
He continued.

“I have seen the White City, long ago.”
Aragorn replied.

“One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: "The Lords of Gondor have returned!"
Boromir smiled.

Aragorn smiled slightly, before turning away, in deep thought.

***

Arryn watched her brother and Boromir talking, and she heard the light footsteps of someone behind her. She turned around, to come face to face with Lady Galadhriel.

“Arryn, would you come with me for a moment?”
Lady Galadhriel asked.

Arryn nodded, politely, and she followed her to a glen separate from the others.

“Arryn…as you may know, you are the last Wiccan…”
Lady Galadhriel said, gently.

Arryn nodded her head.

“You may wonder why you possess all the gifts of a Wiccan, while all the other’s possessed only one of these gifts. You are one of the many lost descendants of the Ainur. Which is one of the reasons why you do. Arryn, have you ever heard of Nyx, Melantha, Melanthe, Adriana, Athanasia, and/or Shivani?”
She asked.

Arryn scrunched up her forehead in disgust. They were all different names for one person. The dreaded Dark Daughter of Mordor. She was the most feared being, besides the Dark Lord himself, in all of Middle Earth.

“Yes…why do you ask?”

“Arryn, my child…this may come as a shock to you…but…………you are that Dark Daughter….”