Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

The Great River

The Fellowship sailed out onto the river and left Lórien behind. White mountains rose starkly beneath blue skies and green trees. In the boats, Gimli talked to Legolas, and Arryn.

“I have taken my worst wound at this parting, having looked my last upon that which is fairest. Haugh, henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me.”

“What was it?”
Legolas, and Arryn asked.

“I asked her for one hair from her golden head. She gave me three.”
Gimli said, brightly.

Both Legolas and Arryn smiled.
The Fellowship passed out onto a larger branch of the Anduin beneath sheer cliffs.

***

The Uruk-Hai march along through the forest as the three boats carrying the Fellowship floated along.

***

It is getting dark. The Fellowship rested on a small island. Boromir looked out from behind a large rock, silvery webs of lights reverberating from the water. He looked worriedly at a log floating in the river. Small hands clutched it, and the top of a head was barely visible over the log‘s edge, where eyes glinted softly.

“Gollum. He has tracked us since Moria.”
Aragorn said, walking up behind Boromir.

“Golllllluum…”
His raspy voice said.

“I had hoped we would lose him on the river. But he's too clever a waterman.”
Aragorn said.

“And if he alerts the enemy to our whereabouts it will make the crossing even more dangerous.”
Boromir said, worriedly.

Frodo can hear them, and he looked worried. Arryn could also hear her brother and Boromir arguing, and she shivered.

“Are you cold, Arryn?”
She heard someone ask.

She turned to her left, and she saw Legolas sit down beside her. She shook her head, no, but she felt a cold shiver run down her spine, and she shivered. She felt his arm wrap around her shoulders, and she leaned into his chest, sharing his warmth.

“Better?”
He asked, with a faint smile on his face.

Arryn looked up at him, his blue eyes shining in the firelight.

“Much…”
She said, turning her head, and she buried it in his chest. He kissed her head, and let her sleep.

Meanwhile, Sam sat down beside Frodo.
“Have some food, Mr. Frodo.”

“No, Sam.”
Frodo said, plainly.

“You haven't eaten anything all day. You're not sleeping, either. Don't think I haven't noticed. Mr. Frodo…”
Sam began.

“I'm all right.”
Frodo said, bitterly.

“But you're not! I'm here to help you. I promised Gandalf that I would.”
Sam said, gently.

Frodo paused a moment, before replying.

“You can't help me, Sam... Not this time... Get some sleep.”

Sam sighed, but he listened to Frodo, and left. Now it was not Samwise who cannot sleep in the night, but Frodo, the Ring-bearer.

“Minas Tirith is the safer road. You know it. From there we can regroup…strike out for Mordor from a place of strength.”
Boromir said, as he walked away from the rock, and towards Aragorn.

“There is no strength in Gondor that can avail us.”
Aragorn said, plainly.

“You were quick enough to trust the Elves. Have you so little faith in your own people? Yes, there is weakness. There is frailty. But there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men. But you will not see that.”
Boromir said, sharply.

Aragorn turned away, but Boromir grabbed his arm and turned him.
“You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows!”
Boromir hissed.

Frodo looked out, suffering, from his resting place, as he heard Boromir‘s words.

"Scared of who you are, of what you are!”
Boromir said, fiercely, as he released Aragorn, who had turned away.

“I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city.”
Aragorn said, turning back suddenly, to face Boromir.

*******

That night, Arryn awoke to find a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist. She slipped from his grasp, and she sat down by the river. She had the same nightmare again. She hated this, and what sucked was that she couldn’t tell anyone about it, and she was one of the most hated, and hunted person in all of Middle Earth, Nyx could destroy everything, and she could even destroy Sauron himself, she was more powerful than Sauron himself, and that was saying a lot.

“Arryn…”
She heard someone say, and she turned around to see Legolas, rubbing the back of his neck, like he was nervous or something. She patted to the rock, and he sat down beside her.

“You should get some sleep…”
He said, as he sat down beside her.

“I’m not…tired…”
She said, while trying to hold a yawn in, but she was unsuccessful, and she scowled.

“Arryn…”

“If I get to have some sleep, then everyone should…”
She said, before she closed her eyes, and she concentrated. She imagined an invisible wall surrounding the Fellowship, and it was protecting them. She opened her eyes, and she could the shimmery wall forming around the Fellowship. Legolas looked at her, with question marks in his eyes.

“I put up a protective shield around the Fellowship. As of right now, this piece of land does not exist. We can see through it, but enemies cannot.”
She yawned.
Legolas smiled at her, “You ready to fall asleep now?”

She nodded sleepily, and she walked back to her original spot, she lay down, and she felt Legolas lie down beside her. He stretched his arm out, and she lifted her head up, and she laid her head on his arm, using it as a pillow.

********

At dawn, she awoke to find Legolas had wrapped his arms around her waist, and he held her close to him, as if to protect her, from something…His face buried in her dark hair. The back of her head was on his chest, compared to when she laid her head in his arm, last night. She turned in his arms, to face him; and she felt her eyes slip shut. She buried her face in the crook of his neck, and she felt safe, and comfortable, and she smiled, when she felt his arms tighten around her, holding her, as if not ever wanting to let go of her. For the first time, in the longest time, she felt safe.

*******

Aragorn awoke and he looked over at Arryn, and Legolas. Arryn had her face buried in his neck, her brown hair, falling on her face. She looked…happy, for the first time. He smiled at the pair, and he was glad that Arryn was learning to trust other people with herself…