Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

The Two Towers.

**********
“You cannot pass!”
Gandalf shouted

“Gandalf!”
Frodo shouted.

“I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor! Argh! Go back to the shadow. The Dark Fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn!”

The Balrog struck down on Gandalf with its flaming sword. Gandalf parried the blow with Glamdring, which caused the Balrog’s sword to shatter.

“YOU… SHALL NOT... PASS!!!”
He bellowed.

Gandalf struck his staff onto the bridge. As the Balrog stepped forward, the bridge collapsed from under it and the demon plunged backward into the chasm. Gandalf, exhausted, leaned on his staff and watched the Balrog fall then turned to follow the others. At the last minute, the flaming whip lashed up from the depths of the abyss and wound around Gandalf’s ankle, and dragged him over the edge. He clung onto the bridge but was straining to keep his grip.

“Argh!”
He groaned.

Frodo rushed forward but Boromir restrained him.

“No! No!”
Boromir shouted to the Hobbit.

The wizard grasped vainly at the stone, looking into Frodo‘s eyes. He stopped struggling, and then he turned to face Arryn, her hand clutching Legolas’ arm, tightly, tears brimming the corners of her green eyes.

“Amin wish, amin was i' er a' kwentra lle…”
*Translation: I wish, I was the one to tell you…*

Arryn stood there frozen, before he finally said, “Fly, you fools!”

At that he let go of the stone, and he fell into the chasm.
Gandalf fell after the Balrog and grabbed hold of his sword Glamdring on his way down. As they continued to plunge into the depths, Gandalf hacked away at the Balrog even as it thrashed and bounced off the walls. They continued to plunge at great speed, sometimes with Gandalf clinging to the horn of the demon. The battling pair then fell into an enormous cavern and plunged into the water.

**********

Just then Frodo awakened as if from a nightmare.

“Gandalf!”
Frodo called, blindly.

Sam sat up, alarmed.
“What is it, Mr. Frodo?”

“Nothing.”
Frodo said, as he lay back down.
“Just a dream.”

**********
Frodo and Sam climbed down a giant rock in the Emyn Muil with the aid of Sam’s rope.

“Can you see the bottom?”
Sam asked, Frodo.

“No! Don’t look down, Sam! Just keep going.”
Frodo called up to Sam.

Sam slipped and a box dropped from his bag.

“Argh! Catch it. Grab it Mr. Frodo!”
Sam called.

Frodo managed to grab the box but he slipped instead.

“Arghhh!”
Frodo shouted

“Mr. Frodo?”
Sam shouted nervously.

Frodo landed safely on the ground.

“I think I’ve found the bottom.”
Frodo said, as his feet hit the ground.

He looked up to see Sam climbing down to him.

“Bogs and rope and goodness knows what. It’s not natural. None of it.”
Sam said.

“What’s in this?”
Frodo asked, looking in the box

“Nothing. Just a bit of seasoning. I thought maybe if we was having a roast chicken one night or something.”
Sam answered, sheepishly

“Roast chicken?!”
Frodo exclaimed.

“You never know.”
Sam said, sheepishly.

“Sam, my dear Sam.”
Frodo smiled.

“It’s very special, that. It’s the best salt in all the Shire.”
Sam added.

“It is special. It’s a little bit of home.”
Frodo smiled, as he looked at Sam’s rope that was hanging down from the rock.

“We can’t leave this here for someone to follow us down.”
Frodo said, grimly.

“Who’s gonna follow us down here, Mr. Frodo? It’s a shame really. Lady Galadriel gave me that. Real Elvish rope. Well there’s nothing for it. It’s one of my knots. Won’t come free in a hurry.”
Sam said, as he pulled on the rope, and all of a sudden it dropped down from the rock

“Real Elvish rope.”
Frodo said, amused, as he turned to continue walking, leaving Sam staring at the rope, in disbelief.