‹ Prequel: Here With Me
Sequel: Youth

Mirrors

Basketball

Image

April 25th, Thursday
In Hudson's Life


The sound of sneakers scuffing against the asphalt, the distant music of Jay-Z, and the sweat dripping from my forehead made up the majority of my afternoon. Jonathan had invited me to play one-on-one basketball with him in central park since today was finally one of our warmer days in New York.

So far he was winning, though I wasn't trailing too far behind. He was a skilled player, a real sportsman-like guy, just as Avery had told me. Finally when I got the ball, I tried to go around him and attempt to take a shot at the net.

"So I'm gonna be an uncle." He chuckled, swatting the ball out of my hand and dribbling it once on the ground before dunking it in the net. Again.

I gave a smile and took a step back to catch my breath, I wiped the sweat from my brow. "Yeah, so I take it she's told your parents?" Sitting outside the court at a table were a group of girls that were so obvious, watching us as we played. I didn't take much interest in them.

He nodded and shrugged his shoulders, "They took it pretty well."

I also nodded and blinked as I stared down at the ground, my mind hasn't been able to rest since Avery left to her parent's and she's been on my mind constantly. I looked up at her brother, who had a slight resemblance to her; maybe it's his eyes, though his are green and hers are blue.

"How is she?" I asked, scraping my shoe against the asphalt.

"Ave?"

I nodded. "I've called there a few times...I miss her...I'm just worried about her, she's not talking to me and I don't know what to do. Every time I try to get close to her, she pushes me away. I'm getting whiplash."

He dribbled the ball a few times before catching it with both hands and resting it on his hip, "She's sad...I know she's trying to hide it, 'cause she's always done that. She's always kept things to herself and that's her problem. I'm sorry that it's hurting you, I've been trying to convince her to talk to you about things. Mostly she's just upset that she lost her job. Huds, I know it's been hard on you, but most of all I think she just needs to be reassured that you ain't gonna leave her. That you're in it for the long haul."

"I am. I've always been." I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Then how 'bout tonight, you come by the house to talk to her, maybe take her out or something. I can go get her ready, so you two can try to get things worked out."

I sighed inwardly, looking up at him again. "Yeah, that sounds alright."

He stepped forward and placed his hand on my shoulder, "Huds, you're a great guy. I've always liked you and I'm glad that my sister is with you. More than anything I want you two to be together, because you can take care of her in ways that no one else has really been able to. I want things to work out for you two."

I half-smiled and patted his arm, "Thanks Jonny."

"Okay then, so go home and shower up, get dolled up, and come by the house about...seven-ish?" He waved his hand, gesturing the "-ish" part.

I chuckled, "Okay. I'll see you then."

He smiled and stepped back, "I'll get her ready." He continued bouncing the basketball as he left the court, and I left the opposite way toward the lot where my car was parked.

I'm nervous to go there, I'm afraid that things won't go the way I want them to, but I know that I can't wait any longer. My marriage is on the line and my wife needs me...I need her. But first before I go to the Moore house, I need to make a stop somewhere and make a few calls, in hopes that this will make things somewhat better.

Climbing into the front seat of my car, I wiped my face with a towel and took out my cell phone, dialling a number I was still insecure about calling. With the phone against my ear, I listened to the dial tone till it was answered.

"Holbrook, it's nice of you to call." The deep and very British voice of my father answered. I silently took in a deep breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, guys, honestly I AM SO SORRY FOR THE DELAY! I hadn't realized this much time had passed!!! This chapter is short, I know, but it's just a filler for the next one so....yeah.