Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

now i've got you in my space

“That was Latch by Disclosure, still such a good, good record. Sounding fresh this morning! Right, now comes that time of the day when we’re usually joined by Ms. Fearne Cotton to tell us about pregnancy stuff, ya know, diapers and booties and the like, only as you may know, she’s off to give birth and everything so she won’t be back for a little while! I don’t actually think the baby’s due anytime soon, she just wanted a little rest, don’t you think?” Grimmy questions, looking over to Matt Fincham who gives a shake of his head in response. “Right, anyway, instead we’re joined by Fearne’s replacement, not David Beckham who we all know had to cancel, but the lovely Darcy Lewis! Cheers all round people, come on!”

Darcy slips the headphones on as the Breakfast Crew all cheer simultaneously, Nick giving a few fist pumps and grinning happily.

“Aww, hi guys! Thank you!” Darcy greets, slipping into her radio voice effortlessly. “Hi Grimmy, Matt, Fiona, LMC, Ian, and Dan!”

“Look at that, first name recognition too! Stop that please, they’re going to like you more than me,” Grimmy teases, making a face at Darcy who just laughs and waves back at Fiona happily.

“Yeah well it’s actually all part of my plan to take over the Breakfast Show, you see. They told me that’s what I’d be doing here, I only found out this morning that I was doing Fearne’s show,” Darcy jokes playfully, fiddling with the microphone in front of her as Nick makes a face.

“Hey now! Although I did get a feeling you had some sort of alternative motive when I met you, like you were trying to take over my show. That’s okay though, Finchy would never allow it, would you, Finch?” Grimmy asks, turning his attention to where Finchy’s grinning and giving a little shrug.

“Maybe you can take over when Nick goes on his maternity leave?” Finchy suggests to Darcy, causing her to let out a loud laugh while Nick gives out an indignant ‘hey!’.

“Yeah, when is that again? I think it’s cute, you, Fearne, and Annie all having Radio One babies,” Darcy continues, dodging out of the way when Nick tries to lean in to give her a pinch.

“Cheeky, cheeky!” Nick scolds, but he’s grinning from ear to ear. “Alright, we’ve got Lucy on the phone, now Lucy, save me from these awful friends of mine and tell me you prefer me?”

Lucy plays along with Darcy for a bit, leaving Nick with a fake pout as Lucy and Darcy both review the show. Nick lines up the next song and bids the public farewell before signing off, both he and Darcy turning off their mics and slipping their headphones off with matching smiles.

“So I’ve organised drinks for us this evening to celebrate your first show! It’s at that little pub I took you to, the one near your flat, remember? I’ll text you the address later on tonight,” Nick explains as he collects up his jacket and messes up his hair.

“Drinks? With who?” Darcy asks carefully, setting out her notes in front of her and trying to quash her pre-show nerves.

“Uh, Finchy’s coming, LMC and Fiona, Greg’ll be there, and a few others. Don’t worry, it’ll be fun!” Nick assures her, that trademark smirk already set in on his face when Darcy narrows her eyes at him.

“Why is it that when you tell me not to worry, it always makes me feel like I should worry more?” Darcy asks, grinning at Nick’s mock offended gasp.

“I ask myself the same thing, Darce,” Finchy intervenes, sidestepping Nick’s attempt of a shove. “Right Nick, meet me up in the office in five, we’ll go over tomorrow’s show. And don’t look at me like that, it shouldn’t take too long! Oh, and Darcy, good luck for the rest of your show!”

With that, Finchy grabs a pile of papers from the desk and gives them a quick wave before dashing up the stairs. Nick rolls his eyes playfully, pretending like he’d rather be doing anything but organising the Breakfast Show when in reality, he loves it considering it’s been his dream since he was a kid.

“Oh, joy,” Nick groans before leaning in to give Darcy a kiss on the cheek. “Don’t forget okay, drinks tonight at six! And good luck darling, you’ve only got a whole nation to keep entertained!”

Darcy’s about to smack Nick for being completely unhelpful but seeing as the second song in her line up is almost finished, she just makes an obscene hand gesture at his retreating figure and slips her headphones back on in preparation to greet the listeners and introduce herself properly in the hopes that at least half of them would find her tolerable and let her stick around.
♠ ♠ ♠
apologies to anyone who hasn't listened to the bbc radio one breakfast show before, all these characters and jokes probably seem a bit crazy! i will most likely be updating this again today once i find the motivation to edit the next chapter because we'll get to meet harry, yaaah!
a HUGE thank you to everyone who subscribed, read, and commented, i honestly didn't think this story would get any attention so i'm blown away! thank you thank you thank you! and for those excited about nick being in this story (i love you), don't you worry, he plays a big part in all this!
thank you all! <3
(latch // disclosure)