Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

you are the start of something new

The following morning, Darcy wakes up confused and in half a state of panic until she remembers where she is, in Harry’s childhood room with said boy nestled up tightly against her, very much awake. She turns her head slightly to see Harry’s bright green eyes watching her and when he smiles, she instantly does the same.

“Have you been watching me?” Darcy asks after a moment, voice rough. “You’re going to give me a complex, ya know.”

Harry grins at this, his arm slung low over Darcy’s hips. “I was just thinking that you’re very beautiful.”

“Please, I bet you tell that to all the girls dumb enough to fall into your bed,” Darcy snorts, her smirk teasing.

“Just the ones I call my girlfriend,” Harry jokes before letting out a yelp when Darcy punches his shoulder. “Ow, hey!”

“Sorry, my fist slipped,” Darcy responds unapologetically, letting her eyes fall shut, snuggling closer to her boyfriend contently. She decides not to dwell on how easy it is to refer to Harry as such.

Harry moves to rest his cheek against the side of Darcy’s head, kissing her hair softly and for a few moments, there’s just comfortable silence. Darcy almost falls back into sleep when Harry speaks again. “I get to call you my girlfriend. As in, my girlfriend.”

“Wow Harry, you are truly insightful,” Darcy laughs, shaking her head slightly. “And is this about the time I learn about your possessive kink?”

A pink flush crawls up Harry’s neck at this. “Okay so maybe I’m a little possessive, is that… is that bad? I just feel a tad protective over the people I care about, especially the people I’ve waited so long for.”

Darcy smiles at this. “Nah, nothing wrong with being a bit overprotective. I find it quite sexy, actually.”

“Yeah?”

“Mmm. Although I don’t think you need to worry, I’m all yours now,” Darcy tells him, feeling him smile against her hair.

“Good, good,” Harry murmurs sleepily. “All mine.” There’s a pause and then Harry lets out a soft sigh, not one of content, but rather one of sadness. “You know, we’ve got a few things we have to discuss about… us. And I wish we didn’t and I wish things could just be normal and I could just date you without there being a bunch of requirements but management is going to go crazy over this.”

Darcy places a finger over Harry’s lips to effectively stop him from speaking. “Shhh, I know. I saw Nick go through the same thing with Louis, only it was probably a little more intense considering Louis’ not only hiding his secret boyfriend, he’s hiding his sexuality too,” Darcy points out and Harry nods sadly. “But hey, it’s Christmas Day and not the time to be thinking about this. I’m going to eat the delicious pancakes I can smell someone making and I wanna play in the snow and talk to your brilliant sister to get all the embarrassing baby Harry stories I can get and not care one bit about management. Yeah?”

“That sounds like the best Christmas Day I could ask for,” Harry responds happily. “Which by the way, merry Christmas.”

“Oh yeah, merry Christmas!” Darcy calls out cheerfully, twisting slightly to grab Harry’s face for a kiss which he happily responds to. “Something I can definitely get used to,” Darcy mentions and Harry just laughs before reaching over her to grab something from his suitcase.

“So err, I got you something only it’s not wrapped and it’s already, erm, been used because I began to really miss you and couldn’t help myself. I mean, I thought that was it for us so…” Harry trails off, looking guilty. “Yeah, sorry.”

He moves back to where he’d originally been laying beside her and hands over the vinyl, watching as Darcy’s face lights up and she springs up into a sitting position, a look of wonder on her face. In her hands was the High Violet record by the National, a band she absolutely adored and had mentioned to Harry a few times.

“Harry! This is awesome, I can’t believe you remembered!”

Harry grins, shrugging at this. “Of course I did. You always had them playing when I came over and you’d always sing England when you were in the shower. I noticed you didn’t have this album in your collection so when I saw it in the record store, I couldn’t help it,” Harry explains before reaching out to turn the record over. “It also has the band’s signatures on it, dedicating this to you.”

“I – how?” Darcy asks, completely speechless and in awe.

“When I was over in New York, I found out they were playing on one of my nights off so I went along – they were brilliant by the way – and met the band, asked if it were possible for them to sign it to you. They’re pretty chill guys and obviously didn’t have a problem with it,” Harry finishes, tapping the signatures with a little smirk.

Darcy just stares at him for a moment before tackling Harry to the bed, careful not to damage her new prized possession as Harry laughs loudly. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Darcy cries, pressing kisses all over Harry’s face. “You are the absolute tops! Thank you!”

After a moment, Darcy stops her affections and Harry manages to sit up, a dopey smile on his face. “Completely worth it after that,” he says, still a little dazed while Darcy slips out of Harry’s bed to place it on the dresser carefully before going to her own suitcase to pull out the gift she’d gotten for Harry.

“I ah, I got you something too, although it’s nowhere near as awesome as your gift,” Darcy starts, sounding a little apologetic as she dashes back to the bed to escape the cold. “I mean, I kind of got it as a joke and then everything happened and I hid it away but for some reason I thought I should bring it with me and well, here we are.”

Harry makes grabby hands at the gift and Darcy laughs, handing it over as Harry instantly rips the wrapping paper away and looks at the present, a grin coming across his face. “An ugly Christmas sweater, wow, how did you know?”

“Well, remember that time we had a whole discussion about how bad they are yet how badly we wanted one? I passed this old charity shop on my way to lunch with Annie Mac when I saw it and couldn’t help myself. It’s even orange, your favourite.”

Harry holds it close to his chest, still grinning madly. “I love it, it’s so horrible and awful and I just love it.”

“You have to wear it too, because it’s a gift and you’ll break my heart if you don’t,” Darcy points out maliciously and Harry nods seriously.

“Why of course! In fact, I’ll put it on right now!” Harry says excitedly, immediately throwing the sweater over his head and wrestling his way into it before tugging it down and raising an eyebrow at Darcy. “How’s it look?”

Darcy giggles, shaking her head as she goes to grab her phone. “So utterly hideous that I need a photo of this to make it my phone background,” Darcy says, and Harry makes a dumb face while giving two thumbs up as Darcy snaps the picture, quickly setting it as her wallpaper. “Yes, perfect!”

Harry leans in to give Darcy another gentle kiss. “Merry Christmas, babe,” he says softly.

“Merry Christmas, handsome,” Darcy responds fondly, rubbing her nose against Harry’s just to hear him laugh.

There’s a sudden knock on the door and then Anne’s voice is coming through. “Morning, you two! Sorry to interrupt but just thought I’d let you know breakfast will be ready in twenty minutes! Everybody must be dressed with their beds made to open presents,” Anne says in a singsong voice and Harry groans. “Although Darcy, let Harry take care of the bed making!”

“Thanks Anne, we’ll be out in a few!” Darcy calls back, grinning at Harry’s rather put-out expression. “What’s with the long face, mister?”

“My mum likes you more than me; she’s giving you special treatment! We’ve always had to have our beds made before we could even look at the presents and she's letting you out of it!” Harry grumbles before a lighter look comes across his face. “My whole family really love you,” he adds softly, looking pleased.

“Good,” Darcy says decidedly. She’d been worried at first, having to meet Harry’s family so soon after they’d only just sorted themselves out and she’d never really had to do it before but she found his whole family charming and witty, his sister Gemma especially and she loved that sense of family she got from them. “I really like them too. Now come on, let’s get a move on making this bed. I’m starving.”
♠ ♠ ♠
wowza it's been a while, yeah? APOLOGIES APOLOGIES i didn't mean to take this long to update, life just got crazy with end-of-semester stuff and i couldn't find the time! thankfully all my assignments for the semester are done now and i've only got exams to worry about (ugh!).
can you believe there's only one more chapter? ONE? but i've decided that i will be writing a sequel for this but i must point out now that it will not be updated as quickly as this story was considering i haven't exactly written it all yet! but i'm excited for it, oh the things i have planned for these babies.
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR LOVELY LOVELY COMMENTS. i love you guys, i really do. you're all tops. (and an extra special thank you to blades for leaving me one of the nicest comments i've ever read and making me smile like a loon!)
(this // ed sheeran)