‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

One More Win....

CS 19 One more win….

I count the placemats to put on the table. Trina, Troy, Sid, Tylyn, Taylor, Lauren, Jackson her boyfriend, Steph, Austin, Alex, Mario and me. It will be just a family dinner. We will be eating in the dining room but it won’t be a formal event. I invited the Crosby’s to stay with us during this playoff run. Normally, they would stay with Sid but with he and Tylyn so busy, it just didn’t seem fair to me to ask them to do more.

The kids finished up at Shattucks on the weekend. We had a great party for the awards night on Sunday. I did the 13-hour drive in Sid’s Range Rover so we could bring back all the crap back. With three kids at boarding school, it is a lot of stuff. Troy and Trina are doing the drive here. Alex and I flew with the kids. I am expecting them to arrive anytime. I don’t envy anyone that drive. Next year I think we are just going to rent a storage locker for all the non-essential stuff. Hmmm I make a note in my phone for next spring to look into that option. With fours kids having four very different sets of interests, it makes for a very busy life.

I hear the crunch of tires in the driveway and glance up at the clock. It must be Troy and Trina. I’m not expecting the girls’ home anytime soon. Mario gave them a cash card each for doing well at school and they’ve gone into town for a get ready for summer shopping trip. They better be home for dinner. Austin has gone with his Dad to work out at the gym and then over to Southpointe to watch today’s practice. They won’t be home for a while not when Mario gets talking hockey.

It is Sid’s Range Rover that has pulled up beside the house that I see as I look out the window so I go outside to greet them. Troy has opened the driver’s side door and is stretching. Trina is busy talking on her phone. She hasn’t moved out of the car yet.

‘Good trip, Troy?’ I ask him. He looks beat. ‘I have a beer chilling in the fridge for you.’

‘ You are a great woman, Nathalie. It was fine but I think it gets longer every year. I will be glad next year is Taylor’s last. I won’t miss that drive.’ He is stretching out his back. ‘Next year will be Mario’s turn to be locked in a SUV for 15 hours with sweaty hockey gear. That is what it means to be a hockey parent. Not the hours in the rink, not the cost of the gear and tournaments, but rather the being locked up with the sweaty rank gear. It is all about the nasal sacrifice.’

‘Gives you a whole appreciation for the equipment guys, doesn’t it. I think that next year, it should Mario and Austin doing the drive. Steph and I’ll take the stuff out in the fall and Mario and Austin should return the gear.’ I pull my phone out of my pocket and enter this in my Shattucks note page. ‘Austin will have his learner’s license by then. I think it would be a great learning opportunity for both of them.’

‘It would be. It will be. I just want to be a fly on the dash some where about hour 4 when the sun starts shining in the back window and heats up the gear. Oh to listen to the whining.’ Troy laughs.

‘Yes, but who will make more noise.’ I give him a look.

‘Definitely, Mario. He’s a huge wuss. He made it to the big league’s without earning his stripes.’ I nod in agreement. Trina has hung up her phone and catches the last of our conversation.

‘Oh and your son didn’t?’ Trina rolls her eyes at Troy.

‘I didn’t say that. Sid will have his own years of being a hockey dad; I’m sure knowing Tylyn. Mario has gotten away unscathed by being a player and owner. It’s been Nathalie here that has done yeoman service.’

‘Hmmm, let’s leave this stuff for the kids to unpack and come in for a drink. Tylyn has started her yeoman service already. I’ve been so angry with Mario for setting her up.’ I feel the anger start building me again that Tylyn has been pressed into coaching. We all know that she’s just a distraction for the media and fans. ‘He threw her under the bus all for the sake of his team.’

‘Was it just him? Is she really under the bus?’ Trina asks

‘Tylyn has stepped up to the challenge but it’s taking it’s toll. I mean she should be here getting to know the city and establishing her own life here. Not out there doing interviews and being subjected to hockey 24/7. I think it’s just wrong. Look at her today and tell me she’s not exhausted.’ I implore them as we walk into the kitchen.

‘Actually, I was just talking to Rosalie. She thinks that Tylyn’s missing her family. Did you know that Harv has invited Gerry out here next week for a visit to watch game 6?’ I offer Trina a glass of wine while she is talking. ‘Yes, that would be lovely. It sounds like he and Helen are coming on Tuesday for the Wednesday game But I’m not sure how long they are actually staying. I think it will depend on Gerry.’

‘No, I hadn’t heard. I am sure Tylyn will love to see them but as we all know that will be just more pressure. Trying to fit in visiting around hockey practices, games, interviews and review of all the other games going on.’ I ‘m cut short by Troy.

‘What do you think that the solution is? I mean the team is playing well. Maybe not enough to win the cup but they are adapting their game style and winning games. Tylyn can’t step down now that would really cost the team.’ He is leaning against the island while Trina and I are sitting at the nook table. ‘What options are there until the team gets knocked out?’

‘I don’t know but I do think we should trying to give Tylyn a break. I think she needs some down time. I think she could do with some time just to be 21years old and having fun.’ I try to make my point.

‘Good luck with that.’ Chuckles Troy.’ I think that Tylyn is obsessed with this run as much as anyone else in the organization.’

********

Tonight is game 3 of the second round. I just can’t believe it that we’ve made it this far. I’ve been feeling nauseous all day. It’s been one thing to stand behind the team on my riser first in Philadelphia and then Montreal but this is Pittsburgh. I think I’m going to throw up. I don’t think that I can do this. I’m standing in the walk in closet. I’m looking for something suitable to wear. If I was going to be in the stands as just another fan or 87’s wife that would be one thing but as a coach? My black dresses are pretty enough but I want to look like a professional but I’m not. Men have it so easy. They can put on a suit, dress shirt, snazz the look up with a sporty tie and they are good to go but women. It’s if this dress then what jacket if that jacket then what pair of shoes or should it be boots. Hair up or down? Then what about accessories? It’s just way too much for me to contemplate. I know that this is a hockey game. I get that but it is being televised. I will get to see the reruns of this for ages. I want to be comfortable enough to work the lines. I need to be warm because I can’t think when I get cold. But I want 87 to be proud of me.

‘Are you moving in there?’ it’s like 87 knows when I’m thinking about him. Maybe it is because I’m thinking of him all the time.

‘Yeah.’ I call back to him but I haven’t moved. I know he has been talking on the phone to Gerry. I know this because I started out the conversation about a half an hour ago. I gave 87 the phone so I could come in here to get dressed.

‘ That looks great 91 but don’t you think it’s going to get bit drafty?’ I give him a dose of slitty eyes for his chirp. I am standing in my bra and panties still trying to decide what to wear.

‘I don’t know what to wear.’ I look at him in his charcoal suit, crisp white shirt, black and grey striped ties and yes black dress shoes. See easy for him. He looks so handsome. My voice shakes a bit as I continue. ‘And before you say clothes Sherwood Hockey butt, please take into consideration that I’m representing the Pittsburgh Penguins organization here. I want to look like a professional.’

‘Hmmm. Don’t stress over this. It will be fine. Let’s try narrowing down the options.’ He reaches above my head and starts flipping through my dresses. ‘What colour do you want to wear?’
‘Black because this is a home game.’ He separates out my five black dresses.

‘Okay, now which one of these can you wear warm tights with? You don’t want to get cold.’

‘These two are made of wool. This third one is a heavy cotton jersey.’ I have selected two dresses with long sleeves and the sleeveless dress is big enough for me to wear a turtleneck under it.

‘Right now. What will you wear as a coat? Your red one? Or the white coat you’ve been wearing in Montreal?’

‘Oww , not either one of those. This is a home game. It should be black.’ I pull out my two black jackets. Each has a peplum bottom to make room for my bum.

‘I like this one with the flowers sewn on it.’ He is fingering the black on black wool jacket. The lapels have been embroidered with intertwining vines and leaves. I pull the jacket off its hanger and put it over each dress in turn. I think it’s going to be the
sleeveless dress because the blacks are going well together. The combination looks almost like a suit.

‘Are you going to be warm enough with bare arms?’ 87 looks at me like he doesn’t believe me.

‘I think that I’ll put on my cream turtleneck for a bit of white. And my gold cross necklace and bangles to finish off the look. What do you think?’ I look up at him.

‘Very nice. It shows team support as well as looking spiffy. Are you going to wear your black boots? I won’t be able to stop to warm up your toes mid period.’ He gives me a considered look.

‘Yes. I will. I learned my lesson in Philly. No matter what warmth comes before fashion.’ It does I damn near froze to death that first game even with my jumping around.

‘Great lets move this show along. I promised Mom and Dad that we would see them before the game starts. I have to have time to warm up girl or else the coach will ride my ass.’

‘Oh is that an offer?’ I pinch his bum as he turns to leave.

‘Maybe. Maybe not. You are just going to have to take your chances.’ He already out the door. ‘Hairy, are you packed to go?’

Poor 87 he is so patient. I am sure having we girls here, has complicated his life. I throw on my clothes, put my hair up and grab my purse. I look in the mirror as I put up my hair. I take a deep breath. One more win has been my mantra. Just one more win. Next stop will be the CEC and the Montreal Canadians. One more win.

******

‘Taylor, can you text Sid and tell him we are entering via the…Trib gate.’ I look around at where we are. We’ve taken a taxi over from parking Sid’s Rover at his condo. There is no point in trying to park around here, as it is always busy on game night. Sid and Tylyn had already left for the game by the time we got there. We are going to meet up with them in the players lounge for a few minutes to wish them both well. ‘We should be there in about 10 minutes. You know how short your mother’s legs are.’

‘Hey buddy. I walk twice the distance you do.’ Trina gives me a dirty look.

It doesn’t take quite that long as we know where we are going and Sid is not with us. We show our tickets to the gate attendant and walk through the hallways down into the lower level of the building. As we enter the lounge, I can hear Hairy barking. This must be the only arena that has a dog in the locker room. I nod a hello to Bissonette as we walk in.

‘Hey does Sid know you’re here?’ The lumbering fourth liner leans over to shake my hand. ‘Hairy, your grandparents are here.’

‘Taylor texted him.’ I scowl at the reference as a dog’s grandparent. Hairy has slid around the corner at the sound of her name and now is busy jumping all over Taylor and Trina. ’How’s the mood tonight?’

‘Pretty good. It’s been awhile since we’ve played at home and the boys are pretty psyched. It should be a good game tonight if we get decent reffing.’

‘Good luck with that.’ I nod and smile. Sid has walked around behind from a back room in his long underwear and yellow crocs. ‘Hey son.’

‘Hey Dad. Did you manage to park the Rover in the underground parking?’ He gives me a hug.

‘Yeah. Your mother, god bless her had the wherewithal to order a taxi this morning so it was waiting for us in the front of the building.’ I watch has he hugs his mom and sister.

‘Is Tylyn okay?’ Trina’s concern is showing on her face.

‘Yeah. I think she’s just really nervous. Not about the game but just being here.’ He’s texting on his phone as he talks. ‘ She should be here in a mo.’
‘It’s gonna get noisy out there tonight. Mom and I brought our towels to howl with.’ Taylor whips out a white towel with the Penguins logo on it. This makes Sid laugh. He’s loose so he should have a good game tonight.

Tylyn on the other hand is walking towards us looking pale and ghost like. I think Trina is right. Tylyn has lost weight. It shows in her face. I hope that she is not coming down with something. Tylyn hugs Trina for a long moment and then Taylor before turning to me. I wouldn’t say that we are close. In fact I wasn’t her biggest supporter when Sid brought her home at Christmas but I do like and respect her now. I give her a hug of support.

‘Hi there. Thanks for coming to see us.’ I guess Sid must have told her that we normally just go to our seats. ‘I hear that there is going to be a preshow thingy.’

‘Come on now it will be more than that.’ Sid hugs his wife. ‘Jen Bullano has put together video to welcome Ty to the arena. It’s only about 4 or 5 minutes long. It’s great.’

‘You’ve seen it? You didn’t tell me. Jen wouldn’t let me see it.’ There it is the little girl in Tylyn coming out. I think she’s about to pout. ‘That’s not fair.’

‘It’s a surprise for you. I got to see it so I could okay it. It’s fun. Nothing bad.’ Sid tries to kiss her out of her funk.

‘Easy for you to say. You’re not the center of attention yet, mister.’ Yep that’s a pout.

Trina gives me a look. So I reach into my pocket and pull out the small box that I picked up this afternoon. Taylor smiles and nods. This is a Crosby moment.

‘Tylyn, turn around for a moment.’ Sid adjusts he so she is still in his arms but leaning back against his chest. ‘We have had a family discussion. We think that you have earned this by stepping up and showing everyone what it takes to be a Crosby. It takes hard work, determination and first and foremost dedication to family. Please accept this from us a welcome to our family.’

I hand her the small box. Tylyn looks at it in amazement. Her fingers are cool as she lifts it out of my hand. I swear that her fingers are shaking.

‘It’s okay, 91.’ Sid encourages her.

Tylyn unties the ribbon on the dark maroon box and slowly lifts the lid. Her eyes widen and she gazes on the sparkling gold chain and 91 charm hanging on it. Tears form in her eyes as she starts to shake. Fortunately, Sid is holding her up. He supports her hand so she doesn’t drop the box.

‘We should have given you this at the wedding rehearsal dinner but it wasn’t ready. We gave Sid his 87 charm when he graduated from high school. Taylor got her number 1 when she made the all-star team last year. And now your 91, Tylyn welcome to our family.’ This was Trina’s idea and right now I’m wishing it was mine. Trina wipes the tears from her face.

‘Put it on. Please Tylyn. It’s gold just like your cross. It can be part of your team colours.’ Taylor has picked up Hairy so she can see what all the fuss is about. Sid takes the necklace out of the box and puts it around her neck. Trina was right it falls just above the swell of her breasts. It glints 91 at us.

‘Thank you, so much. Thank you.’ The rounds of hugging start again and more tears when Duper interrupts us. He gives a signal to Sid. It’s time for us to go and get the serious business of hockey to get underway.

‘Good game, Sid.’ We wish him.

‘Go get ‘em Tygyrl.’ I clap her on the back. ‘Make sure this is a good one.’

*******

Pens Light Lamp…
By J Yohe. Tribune Staff Reporter.

You didn’t need to be in the Consol Energy Center last night to know that the Pens were winning the 3rd game of their series against Montreal. Actually, there were reports that the noise could be heard across the ‘Burgh to the west coast of Canada. In fact my ears are still ringing.

Where did you say, eh?

The cheering started long before the players hit the ice. The opening tribute to welcome Coach Crosby to the building started the night’s session of jubilation and the noise rose from then on. And the Penguins gave their fans lots to cheer. From the opening goal by Neal from Geno to the final tally by our first line, it was a night to remember. It was a night where every line and player clicked.

Soon to be Dad, Fleury late stood tall turning away the 19 shots on his goal to earn the shut out. Last night was arguably his best game in a month.

‘It is great to play in this building. Our fans give us energy and momentum.’ said defenseman, Paul Martin. ‘We wanted to show our coach what it means to play here in Pittsburgh.’
And they did with the 4-0 win.

‘Ty’s been a Penguins fan since she was a little girl so she knows a bunch of the team history. She’s been to a couple of games in the stands so she knew it could get noisy in here.’ explains Sid the husband. ‘But the playoffs bring another whole level of emotion. I think she gets it now.’

The first period saw markers by Neal from Malkin and Niskanen. The second had goals by Jokinen and the beautiful break away by Crosby. (Player not coach). The fourth and final goal was classic Sid behind the net flipping the puck out to Kunitz who found the open Dupuis.

It made a great night for hockey to return to Pittsburgh.

******

The sun shines into our bedroom window across the bed and on to the two suitcases laid out open and ready for packing. After our game tonight, we fly to Montreal for game 5 on Sunday afternoon. I’ll wear my suit to the arena tonight so all I really need to pack is some casual clothes, warm ups and a fresh dress shirt. 91 is flitting around putting together outfits.

‘Hairy? If you’re coming with us then you need to pack, girly.’ She calls out from the walk in closet. ‘We won’t be back here after the game tonight.’

Hairy has been watching me organize my bag. She’s standing with her front paws on the edge of the bed watching the production. She cocks her head in the direction of the closet as if to say really?

‘I’m serious Hairy.’ 91 comes out of the closet carrying Hairy’s soft travel carrier and two pretty off white dresses. ‘Go get me, Blankie.’

‘I’ll help her. You sort out clothes.’ I take the carrier and look inside it. ‘I’m basically done here. What stuff does she need?’

‘A few toys to entertain her, her blanket to sleep with, enough food for a couple of days and dishes.’ 91 thinks for a minute. ‘The EQ guys made her a new harness with the Penguins logo so that should go. I think she likes it.’

‘Bahraw.’ Hairy adds to the conversation dragging her blanket behind her. I tap the floor with my foot and she walks over to me.

‘Good girl. Let me fold that up. Now go get me Frisbee.’ I rub Hairy’s ears.

‘Do you think that we’ll be going out anywhere while we are in Montreal?’ 91’s voice is still a bit raspy from having to yell to be heard during our last game.

‘Probably not. I was thinking we’d have room service order set up a dinner like last time and watch HNIC with the boys. What do you think?’ I have brought through Hairy’s travel dishes and a bag of her dry kibble. The team travels with lots of water bottles so she should be covered on that front.

‘Sounds good. I’ll take something comfortable to wear.’ 91’s carryon bag is looking complete. ‘Could you pack her a couple of C-H-E-W-Y things for the plane rides? I think that they help with her ears.’

‘Good point. There’s my best four footed girl. Good girl.’ Hairy has found the bright yellow frisbee. ‘Now go get ‘Burgh. Bring me Ice Burgh.’

My phone bleeps a message from Flower.

‘Sounds like Vero may be in labour.’ I tell 91.

‘Really? Oh that’s exciting.’

‘Yes but what does that mean for the team?’ I know that there has been a plan but I think everyone has been hoping it wouldn’t really need to be put into place.

‘Thomas will play and Hartzell will be his backup. God forbid that we need to use him.’ I agree. Hartzell from our minor league affiliate is not bad but he won’t be up for this caliber of play. ‘Does Marc Andre say if her water has broke?’

‘Nope. It just says he thinks she might be in labour.’ I reread the message.

‘Hmmm, I’ll text Nathalie. I’m sure that she will know. It might not affect tonight’s game if she’s in early labour but Flower won’t be traveling with us.’ She’s right. Flower won’t be traveling with us.

Hairy bumps my leg. She has brought me the stuffed miniature of our mascot Ice Burgh. It looks a bit tattered. Hairy is sitting looking at me bright eyed with her tail wagging. I rub her ears and put ‘Burgh into the soft carrier.

‘Go get Bouncy Ball.’ I speak firmly to the little dog at me feet. ‘You almost done here, 91.’

‘Yes, I have a few bathroom things to put into the case but they can wait until after our nap.’ 91has fold a couple of sweaters and is tucking them into the side of the bag. ‘Can you take this stuff through to the laundry room? I’m going to work on the pregame snack.’

‘Sure. Hairy are we done here?’ I give her my best stern look. Hairy for her part turns around in several circles looking up at me. She gives me a small wag of her tail then scampers into the walk in closet. I give her a minute while I put the final touches to my bag.

‘BarF.’ Hairy has returned carrying one of my Tshirts that I put into the laundry hamper. Hairy’s face is very expressive. She looks like she’s pleading with me.

‘Another T-shirt Hairy? Where is the one I gave you last week?’ Hairy just wags at me. She looks like she’s smiling. I take the T-shirt and put it into the carrier. ‘Thank goodness, I have a contract with Reebok.’

‘It’s almost ready you two. Do you want to eat on the patio or at the nook?’ 91 has created enticing smells from the kitchen.

‘Patio. Let’s go Hairy. I’ll race you.’ I take our bags through to the laundry so when wake up in a couple of hours we will just have to grab these and go. Hairy is bouncing in front of me as I walk. ‘Can I carry anything through for you?’

‘Sure the plates are there.’ 91 points to two pasta bowls one very full, the other has a much smaller portion. ‘Nathalie texted back that Vero is having Braxton-hicks contractions or false labour. Nathalie says if she doesn’t go into labour tonight that the doctors want to induce her tomorrow. So no Flower for the trip.’

‘Hmmm. But he’ll play tonight?’ I ask.

‘Oh yes. But he won’t travel to Montreal.’ I look across the table at my wife. She’s pushing her rotini around her bowl deep in thought. Her features are easy to read and today they show concern.

‘A penny for your thoughts?’ I ask her.

‘We need this win tonight. Sunday’s game 5 will be hard to win in Montreal and if anything happens to Thomas…we need this win. After the last game, the Habs won’t sit back. They will be gunning for us. You know that, right? One more win.’ She looks me square in the eye.

‘What do you think?’ I ask Hairy who has been patiently sitting listening to our conversation. ‘One more win tonight?’

‘Yip’ She barks.

******

Bbydr: Pens 2 vs Habs 1 in double overtime. It weren’t pretty.

TMkklsen: Thx. So that’s 3 to 1 for the Pens?

Bbydr: only one more win to advance to round three