‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Ducks, Penguins and a Chicken in a Row

CS 18 Ducks, Penguins and a Chicken in a Row.

Who would phone us at 8:03 am? Good heavens everyone should know that we didn’t get back to the cave until after 3am. I know we slept on the plane but I still feel very tired. Hairy wanders into our bedroom yawning and stretching. I can hear her nails clicking on the hard wood floors.

‘Yeah fine. Can we talk about this later at practice?’ 87 has answered his phone. ‘We’ll be there around 1 pm at Southpointe. Yeah, if you think that it’s important.’

I try and get up but his arm holds me in place. I tap the restraint and point to the bathroom. He nods and lets me go. Hairy follows me her nails clicking softly on the hardwood then tile floors. It felt good coming back to the cave last night. It felt like coming home. The drive through the sleeping city was quiet. Hairy didn’t even growl in the elevator. We basically plunked our stuff in the laundry room. Hairy checked out the deck for a brief pee before we crashed. I know I’m still exhausted and I didn’t exert the energy that 87 did all evening.

‘Want to go out for a minute?’ I ask her as she watches me wash my hands. Hairy gives me an intent look.’ Okay, lets go and be quick. I don’t think that I’m ready to be up just yet.’

When you enter the en suite, you walk into a normal bathroom. But at the other end of the room through a second doorway formed by translucent glass bricks is a small hardwood exercise area with a treadmill, bow flex weight training apparatus and a stationary bike. This mini gym has a sliding glass door, which opens onto the big sundeck that wraps around the penthouse condo. I open the door wide enough for Hairy to slip out. The skyline from this angle of the build shows the down town core of Pittsburgh. The sun is already warming up the air. Spring has definitely come to Pittsburgh. Hairy’s barking draws my attention to her. She’s running around the deck chasing a couple of birds out of her pool.

’91? Oh there you are.’ 87 has joined me in the gym and is watching Hairy too. ’That was JLo on the phone she wants to set up a few interviews for you with the local media. Kinda meet and greet the locals. She thinks it would be a good idea for them to meet you on a personal level. I know we were supposed to have some time off today but she’s making good PR sense. That is if you are up to it. I guess it doesn’t have to be today.’

‘When?’ I lean against him for a hug.

‘She wants you to call her later. JLo was thinking to film the interviews after the skate today. You okay with it?’ His skin is warm and soft under my face. I rub my nose into the muscles of his chest. I’ll agree to anything just to go back to bed and cuddle with him.

‘Yeah whatever.’ I’m not keen.

‘You done here.’ My husband tips my face up to him. I nod. ’Good the alarm isn’t set to go off for at least another hour and a half. Let’s leave the door open a crack so Hairy can find her own way back in.’

87 leans down, pick me up, and carries me back to our bed. It feels good to tumble into his huge bed. The sheets are tangled with the duvet and the pillows are askew. But it is starting to feel like home to me. We nestle down wrapped in each other’s arms. I want time to stop ticking for a while I drift off to sleep. I know that there is a million things I probably should be doing or at least thinking about doing but I just don’t care. We have two days before our next game. We have the better part of 6 days here in Pittsburgh before we return to Montreal for Game 5. I sigh as my mind floats.

I open my eyes. It seems like just a few minutes have past. I have my back tucked into 87’s chest and my pillow is his bicep. I open my eyes and focus, as his other arm is stretches out in front of us with his fingers tapping the edge of the bed. Hairy’s black nose and paws are poking just into view. 87 taps the bed to invite her up or a visit. She springs up and lands about a foot from me. Hairy ’s happy and is wiggling with excitement. 87 is rubbing her ears and Hairy is licking his hand wherever she can reach. She looks at me and ducks his hand so she can lick me too.

‘You are a happy girl.’ I tell her. Hairy whole body is wagging with excitement. I cuddle 87’s arm around us. ‘It is nice to be home.’

‘Ya think so?’ 87 turns Hairy and I so he can see our faces. ‘Really? Home?’

‘Yeah really.’ 87’s look is questioning. ‘I like the cave. It’s nice to be here. Hotels loose their appeal after a while.’

‘Hmmm for me they are just a fact of life. I don’t even think about it.’ He says as I wander my hands over a couple of new bruises.

‘Prust did clip you. How’s your jaw?’ I want to stroke his face but know that it probably still hurts from getting jostled into the boards last night.

‘Tender but not too bad. It stung last night but feels better this morning. ‘ 87 fingers probe his jaw. I can see into his mouth where he is still missing teeth on his lower jaw when his stomach growls. Hairy growls softly back looking between 87 and I causing us to both laugh. ’I think I could go a big breakfast you lazy serving wench.’

‘Hmm, I don’t remember what’s around here for food. I guess we should have at least stopped for some milk last night. Anything here will have gone bad.’ I try to remember what could be left in the fridge or freezer that I could make into to breakfast.

‘I asked Marcella to drop off some fresh supplies yesterday. I bet if you check out the fridge it will be well stocked.’

‘Great.’ I slide up his chest and kiss him. ‘Breakfast it is.’

‘Great plan, Mrs. Chickadee.’ He tussles me before he says to Hairy. ‘Where is Frisbee? Hmm bring me Frisbee.’

Hairy looks at him for a minute. She’s having to think hard. Then she bounds off the bed and out the door leading to the great room. I get up at the same time, put on my robe and slippers to follow her out of the room. It’s a bright beautiful morning. The only dark cloud is when I remember that I’m supposed to call Jennifer about more interviews. The kitchen is neat and tidy. A bowl on the counter is full of fresh fruit, the nook table as fresh flowers in a vase and there is a note the fridge that reads. Muchacho and Chica, I put the things you wanted in the fridge. I’ll come later to help. Marcella. I open the fridge door and see that it well stocked.

‘Everything there that you need?’ 87 leans over my shoulder and takes out the carton of eggs. ‘I’m pretty hungry.’

‘You’re always hungry. ‘ I roll my eyes and push him with my shoulder. ‘Out of the way you’re holding up production. When did you tell Jen that I would call her?’

‘Later was all that I said. We didn’t really specify a time.’ 87 watches me unload food from the fridge and put the fry pan on.’ Do you need a hand with this?’

‘Could you slice some bread for toast? I think that we’ll just have some scrambled eggs with it.’ Hairy has joined us in the kitchen carrying a mini yellow Frisbee. ‘I’ll just give Jen a quick call.’

‘That’s probably a good idea. Let me get this started.’ 87 tweaks my nose. ‘The interviews will go fine. You’re doing great with the media.’

How does he know that I’m nervous about talking to the media? I know I’m getting better at the pressers but that’s when I’m talking hockey. This sounds more personal to me. 87 is great at being supportive but this just seems well weird to me.

‘Give Jen a call. You know, she’ll be there to help you through this.’ 87 strokes my face. ‘I know this is going to sound odd but when I came here, the Pittsburgh fans really embraced me. I think that they think that I’m their kid or something. Kinda like they have helped raise me and I guess that they have. I think that if you let them, the fans will embrace you too.’

‘You’re their beloved Cappy. I get that. But …’ I fade out.

‘But nothing. But if you need a but…’ He thinks for a minute. ‘But you’re the coach who is taking their team on a run for the cup.’

‘Hmmm maybe.’ I try smiling as I reach for my phone to dial. ‘For a minute I thought you were going to say I didn’t need a but because I already had a hockey butt.’

…..

‘Hey, Michelle, did you read that copy I sent you?’ I juggle my phone and a stack of papers.

I’ve been trying to do about 8 things at once this morning. Setting up PensTV for a lighthearted get to know our new coach is just one of them. The week or so that Tylyn and I spent rooming together in Philly then Buffalo gave me lots of insight into her life and character. I’ve put together a media package of highlights for reporters to touch on. This includes a bit about her family, her love of the Penguins pre Sid, her own sports accomplishments, her own interests and some things that she has been involved in during her time in Pittsburgh. I surfed the radio stations this morning and came up with a couple of great ideas. First one radio station had a call in segment this morning for people to tell stories of sighting of Tylyn around the city. It was surprising to me that she has been recognized already. All the clips were very complimentary. Some were downright funny. A couple were so Tylyn. I’ve called the radio station to get contact information so we can interview those listeners and I’ve put this information into a brief.

‘Yes, I did. There’s some good stuff there. So Sally Wiggins from WTAE is going to do a sit down with Tylyn, is that right?’ Michelle Chrechio from PensTV answers my question.

‘Yeppers. Tylyn and I are meeting her around 2pm today. Have you thought of an angle?’ ‘Cause if not I have, I think.

‘What do you think about me and Sam interviewing the team about Tylyn? I mean you know Tylyn. She’s a sassy little thing but also she’s such a girl amongst all these guys. The other coaches and players treat her like a kid sister. But they also respect her. I think we could do a great piece showing Tylyn as for who she is smart, funny, sassy, fearless and yet some how totally naïve and sweet. I know I often forget just how young she really is because she’s is so together.’ Michelle and I have been the only two women traveling with the Penguins organization for years. We both know that hockey has been a man’s sport to cover and just how hard that has been to break into.

‘What kind of questions are you thinking about? I want to keep this respectful.’

‘Absolutely. I was going to ask the guys for some funny stories like the snowball fight that broke out in Montreal at Christmas when she and the fourth liners pelted Sid. Or Billy Guerin’s first impressions when he picked her up at the Airport in San Jose. ‘ Michelle pauses.’ I thought that I’d ask Nealer about some of the times they play video games. I know she kicks their butts. That kind of thing.’

‘Sure put it together and let me review it before it is posted. You might want to talk to Andy the video coach. I’ve asked him to put together a montage of clips from her pressers and game video as an introduction for the next game. I’m hoping it show some of her funny expressions watching the boys play or just thinking about the answers to questions. I asked him to consider calling it the many faces of a Tygyrl.’

‘Then I’m gonna talk to the equipment guys about when they got her the box to stand on so she could see over the backs of the players in that first game. I still crack up when I think about her jumping to see the game.’ Michelle has the idea. ’What about two pieces? Sam can do the funny one. I can maybe show her from a woman’s point of view in an all guy world.’

‘That’s right. Michelle really dig out from the guys how dedicated she is. Try and show her tenacity to winning and the hard work it takes to get there. Pittsburgh is made up of hardworking down to earth people. I want the fans to see that Tylyn is every bit a Yinzer as they are. This city has adopted Sid because of his work ethic he plays with every game. That is harder to show in a coach but we know that Tylyn has it in spades.’ I try to make my point.

‘I’m on it and will bring Sam up to speed. We’ll start right after the skate.’ Michelle is on task.’ How about we meet up later maybe around 6 pm. We should have something pieced together by then. When do you want to air this?’

‘I’d love it to go up first thing in the morning on the website. Sally’s interview will run on the 6pm news cast.’ I glance at my watch. Sid texted that he wants to talk to me. ‘I better run. Keep in touch.’

‘Hey Sid. How can I help you?’ So as soon as I hung up he is my next call.

‘Thanks for calling, Jen.’ I have learned to listen to Sid very carefully over the years. He doesn’t ask for much and is always very cooperative. So for him to call me means something is up. ‘I’m concerned for Ty. I think she’s nervous about today.’

‘The interviews?’ I ask.

‘Yeah that and being here. I’ve tried talking to her but she’s sounding vague. Rosalie her mother says Ty gets vague when she tries to avoid stuff. Like when she’s in an uncomfortable position. You know?’ Talk about being vague.

‘I’ll talk to her. Do you think that will help?’

‘Yeah, maybe. It’s kind of like when we went to NS for Christmas. She chattered away at me but she kinda clammed up with my family. Mom worked hard to get her to talk. She’s kinda like that. Ty’s shy. I didn’t mean to say it like that. That sounds as bad as Beau knows. That just wrong on so many levels.’ He laughs half heartedly.

‘I know Tylyn is shy. That’s why I think that this would be a good way to break the ice so to speak.’ I make a few notes as we talk. ‘I’ll get a preview of the questions. Tylyn is getting very good about with her pre and post game pressers. This will be much easier.’

‘Hmmm, yes but that’s hockey. 91 can talk hockey. It’s the personal stuff that gets hard. I know I want my private life private and I think so does she.’

‘Okay. What about you and Hairy joining us? You two can be just off camera. Will that make it better?’ I offer. ‘Do you think that will help?’

‘Maybe. I won’t go on camera but just be there to support her. Okay?’ Sid sounds a bit relieved. ‘How about when we get to practice we’ll talk about this some more?’

‘Sounds good. I’ll rough out types of questions so we can practice with her. I really want to keep this simple and light. I don’t want to upset anything here. Tylyn is such a sweet person I think the Yinzers will fall in love with her if only they could meet her.’ I know that everyone on this team has fallen in love with her.

‘I hope so. I really hope so. We talk after practice. See you in a bit.’ I can hear Hairy barking in the distance.

‘Thanks for this heads up Sid. I know we all want this to go well.’

…..

Watching Tylyn’s interview on WTAE last night gave me an idea. Okay, the idea has been percolating in the back of my head since we got back from the Kids’ wedding. The Pittsburgh’s media have dubbed Sid and Tylyn the Kids. I personally like it. They are our Kids. Mr and Mrs. Kid. But watching Tylyn talk about being a Penguin’s fan in BC made me stop and think. I listened as she talked about growing up on the farm and a bit about her family. She sounded homesick for her family. The poor girl has been swept up in this madness. I’ll bet that she is missing her family. The Hylkema’s are very close. You could see that when we were there. I know that she’s probably on her phone to them constantly. But it’s not the same.

I’ve phoned Gerry a few times after the games to talk hockey. He sure does love his hockey. Gerry says that he talks to Sid and Tylyn but that they are both very busy. Hockey might be a sport but it’s also big business. Sid and Tylyn are very wrapped up in their world. I understand that. And that’s what has got me thinking. Maybe Gerry would like to come out for a visit to see a game? Here at the Consol Energy Center. I know he couldn’t travel by himself and this is what I’ve been thinking about since we got back from the Kid’s wedding. How do I get to see Helen Thwaite again? I’ve been thinking about her a lot. This might be just the ticket. If Gerry were to come out to see a game, someone would have to escort him. I’m pretty sure that everyone else in the family will be busy on the farm. Gerry said last phone call that spring was one of the busiest times on the farm. I’m also sure that Pieter and Rosalie would want him to come watch the Pen’s live. I know Tylyn has mentioned it. I know if she weren’t coaching she’d have him out here in a flash.

I sit down at my computer and search the plane fares between here and Vancouver. If I’m going to invite Gerry and Helen then I’ll foot the bill. My old house has lots of room so they can stay here. As for tickets to the actual game….I’ll talk to Alice. Maybe she will let Gerry have her ticket and host Helen while we are there. I couldn’t ask Morty or Jean to give up their tickets. They are huge fans. It will have to be for Game 6 next week if there is a Game 6. There is no way I’ll be able to arrange this for Game 4. The screen finally stops searching and shows several flights leaving Vancouver to Pittsburgh. The prices are fairly reasonable.

I get up and pour myself a cup of coffee and calculate the time difference again. If it’s 1030 here then it’s ….730 am in BC. Too early to call. But I dial the phone as I have a couple of more ducks to line up.

‘Hello?’ says a crackling older female voice in my ear.

‘Good Morning Alice, it’s Harv here. Do you have a moment to chat?’ I ask.

‘Oh yes. Jean has gone out for her walk and I’ve been contemplating some housework so I have lots of time to talk.’ I can just imagine Alice’s eyes twinkling. ’What’s on your mind?’

‘Did you see Tylyn’s interview on the news last night?’ I ask.

‘Yes, didn’t she do a lovely job? She looked so pretty in her spring floral dress with her hair down.’ Trust Alice to notice clothes and hair.

‘She looked lovely but I thought she looked a bit home sick when she talked about her family.’ I plant a seed.

‘Just a bit maybe. I mean that wouldn’t be surprising Tylyn’s only 21 and such a long way from her family.’ Alice pauses for a breath. ‘She comes from a very tight knit family.’

‘I know. Alice I know she does. I was just thinking about the promise we made to Rosalie that last morning to watch over Tylyn. I’ve been thinking about that promise ever since I watched that interview.’ This is not a lie. I have been thinking about that promise and making it work for me.

‘Do you think that we should have she and Sid out to dinner and be a bit of family for her? I’m pretty sure that the interview said that Sid’s folks would be here for Game 3.’

‘Yes it did but that’s Sid’s family not hers. I was thinking more about inviting Gerry out to watch Game 6 next week.’ I toss out my idea.

‘But we don’t know if there will be a game 6, do we?’ Alice asks the tough question.

‘No, but we also don’t know if there will be another series. I just sitting here thinking that there probably will be a game 6 and that sharing the experience with Gerry might help Tylyn.’ I try again. ‘You know how close they are.’

‘That sounds like a lovely idea, Harv. But I don’t think that he could travel all this way by himself, do you? Maybe Rosalie or Pieter could come with him?’ Or Helen I think.

‘Maybe but here in lies the rub, Alice. I have a huge favour to ask of you.’ I don’t know how this is all going to work out but if I don’t try I do believe that I’ll regret it. I’ve watched too many bad things happen to good people. I am going to seize this opportunity.

…..

The rain is pouring outside my office window. The calendar says it’s nearly May but the weather outside looks more like November. I should be concentrating on the stacks of invoices and receipts but all I can think about is Harv’s offer to fly Gerry out to watch the Pens play next week. Well that and how much I miss Tylyn. I know we talk every other day but it’s not the same. We are talking more now that she is half a continent away than we do when she was living upstairs in the attic. I sip my cup of tea and watch as the raindrops make circles in the puddles. My thoughts are disturbed by the phone ringing.

‘Dragonfly Farms, Rosalie speaking. How can I help you?’ I feel like I’m on automatic pilot.

‘It’s just me, Mama.’ I recognize my youngest child on the phone.

‘Oh Chicken, I was just thinking about you. How are you this morning?’ Tylyn sounds worn out not her normal bubbly self.

‘I am fine. I’m just thought that I’d call before while I wait for 87 to get showered up.’

‘Was it a good practice?’ I ask.

‘Not bad. We are working on adjusted lines because we still have a couple of guys suspended for Game 3 tomorrow night.’ I listen to Tylyn and try to read between the lines of what she is saying.

‘So you are planning some line changes?’

‘No not really. We will probably do some line matching but really it’s more a matter of replacing the suspended guys and then resting some of the older guys who have some bumps and bruises.’ She sighs.

‘When do Troy and Trina fly in?’ I try again.

‘They are here now. Trina texted me that they are staying with Mario and Nathalie. 87, Hairy and I have been invited out to dinner there tonight.’ It breaks my heart to hear how sad she sounds.

‘That sounds lovely. Aren’t you happy to see them?’

‘Yes, I guess.’ And here is my daughter the great avoider.

‘Tell me what you are thinking, Chicken. I can’t read minds over the phone.’ I try to tease her.

‘I just miss us.’ She whispers ever so softly.

‘I know you do. We miss you too. I saw your interview with that Sally lady. I thought it went very well.’ I won’t point out that even Gerry noticed that she looked sad when she talked about the farm. ‘You answered her questions very well. How did you think it went?’

‘Better than I thought it would. Jen gave me a list of the questions before hand so I could think about my answers. 87 helped be decided which ones I would decline to answer. I mean nobody wants to know my views on politics.’ I can hear the spark coming back into her voice.

‘Have you heard from Harv lately?’ I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag but I think that Tylyn needs an emotional pick me up.

‘He tried calling earlier and I haven’t had the chance to get back to him. Why?’

‘Well, Harv has invited Gerry out to visit next week so he can go to Game 6.’ I wait for her reaction.

‘Really? Gerry is going to come here?’ Tylyn’s voice has gone from down in the dumps to wonderment. ‘By himself? To watch Game 6?’

‘Not by himself. Your dad and I don’t think that he could do the journey by himself. Actually Mum offered to travel with him. What do you think about that?’ I know what I think. I think that my mother has eyes for Harv.

‘Oh I’m so happy. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get Gerry out here. 87 and I are so busy. I just don’t think I could manage Gerry on my own. That’s so kind of Harv to think of him. I know that they have talked after some of our games. And to see Mum too. They can stay with us of course but….’ Now that is my spunky chicken.

‘Look don’t get a head of yourself. I think that Harv, Alice, Jean and Morty have plans to entertain Gerry and Mum. I know that you’ll get to see them when you are free but you don’t have to worry about them. The Pittsburgh folks seem to have their ducks in a row on the Penguin front, Chicken.’ I laugh as I tell her.

‘I think that the Penguins had better wins some games so there will be a Game 6 for Gerry to watch, Mama.’