‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Lost Between The Moon and New York City.

CS 23 Lost Between The Moon and New York City.

‘It’s crunch time. I’m serious. It’s crunch time. This is where the team steps up to the plate and lays it all on the line.’ It’s not often I get mad but when I do. If I hear one negative comment and I don’t care whom it is from, heads will roll. It’s a little after 5 am and I’ve sent out message for everyone and I mean everyone to meet in the lobby. I’ve arranged for coffee and snacks. And by god it better be crowded, when I get down there. Jen Bullano is looking at her phone.

‘Tylyn and I should be at the studio no later than 615 am. She goes on just after a little after 730 am. As far as I can tell, a producer will be prepping with her for most of that. I’ll cancel if you think it’s too much.’ Jen is a professional.

‘Let’s see how Tylyn is doing. Sid said last night when I talked to him that she was pretty worried about Hairy.’ I look up from texting on my phone.

Okay even I’m worried about Hairy. Hairy has been traveling with the team now for the better part of 5 weeks and she’s become as integral to the team as…. as any one of us. She’s the happy bright spot that greets us each day. She brings a toy to play with most everyone. It was Dana who called me last night that somehow Biz and the boys had lost her. He wanted to go out to look for her then and there. Cooler heads prevailed and we are going to go out en mass this morning. Thus everyone meeting in the lobby.

The elevator door open and I look out. It’s filled with our staff and players. I see a few of the media people helping themselves to coffee. There are even a couple of the Rangers EQ guys who met Hairy last night. It is the turn out I expected. Mario is standing to one side of the lobby talking to Sid, Tylyn and Pat Brisson. Sid has his arm around her shoulder. Tylyn’s head is resting on his arm. I can’t see their faces but I can see the body language. Not Good.

‘Morning everyone. ‘ I call out. ‘Thanks for coming out. You’ve all heard that Hairy has gone missing near Delancey and Forsyth. Someone let her off her leash so she could chase some pigeons then was distracted. There’s a park near by so she might have headed that direction. What I suggest is that we all head over to the actual site and then fan out.’

‘I’ve made posters and leaflets to hand out to people on the street.’ Biznasty has a thick stack of paper in his arms. ‘I’ve purchased a local phone so calls won’t be long distance.’

I mentally make a note. Bissonnette. Check.

‘Hairy’s loves her toys. So we’ve brought the whole lot if anyone wants to take one. They might help her to recognize us.’ Sutter gets a check as well.

‘I’ve brought gloves. Hairy’s really good at sniffing out things. They might help too.’ The EQ manager has always proven to be the team guy.

‘So let’s load up on the bus and go over there.’ I wait to talk to Tylyn and Sid while the bus loads. I look over Tylyn head at Sid ‘How are you two holding up?’

Sid looks down at Tylyn as mouths the words no sleep. Tylyn for her part looks tired and worried.

‘I’ll be happy when we fine her. It’s so nice that everyone has come out this morning.’ Tylyn’s normally happy face is looking wan and her eyes are rimmed with red.

‘You don’t have to do the Good Morning America spot. We can cancel.’ I’m waving over Jen.

‘I can do it. I promised I would. It shouldn’t take long. I googled the studio is not far from where she went missing. Maybe I can just to a short spot.’ Tylyn is fidgeting with her hair. Sid shakes his head no behind her.

‘I think that the producer was talking about a 10 minute spot about what’s it is like being a woman in a man’s world. And to have you explain the game of hockey to the uninitiated.’ Jen look concerned at me.

God, this would be great PR for not only our team but for the league. Tylyn happy would be great at this. Christ. Why did TK have to let go of the leash? I have already given him a huge strike. I glower in TK’s general direction.

‘This is your decision, Tylyn. Hairy is your dog. And if you want to cancel the interview then great. We’ll reschedule when we find her.’ Jen is saying what I’m thinking.

‘I don’t want to let the team down. This would be great press and with everyone out looking for her. I’ll only be gone for an hour or so right?’ Tylyn questions but she really doesn’t look committed.

‘Yeah, about an hour. I bet by the time we drive this huge group of people over to the corner and Hairy will have made lots of new friends.’ Even I don’t believe myself. ‘Let’s get at this so we get Hairy back into the fold.’

‘Ray?’ Mario holds me back a second. ‘I’ll take her place. Tylyn is doing the Penguins a huge favour by helping us out. It’s the least I can do.’

‘You’re going to talk about what it’s like to be a woman in a man’s world?’ I take off my glasses so I can really focus on him.

‘Yeah, I can. Just watch me. I’m great with women.’ Mario carries himself with confidence.

‘Okay. If we don’t find Hairy PDQ then your going on Good Morning America in front of millions of viewers to discuss what it is like being a woman in a man’s world. I’m texting my wife right now to PVR the show for me.’ I say in disbelief.

‘Actually, I’ll get Nathalie to do it.’ Mario is now is fiddling with his phone while we board the bus that will take us the few blocks where Hairy was last seen.

***********

We started at the spot where Hairy was last seen. The air is cool but at least the rain has stopped falling. The damp cold drizzle has most of the people huddled into their jackets. TK, of course, can’t remember which direction she was chasing the pigeons. Ray organized us into waves of people. We’re calling Hairy’s name and slowly working out way out from the spot in a circular wave. Sid has reminded us that Hairy is very nervous around loud noises and traffic. Evidently, Hairy hides when she is scared. There must be easily 50 of us looking for one small black and white dog. We have toys, and leaflets. A few people have brought tidbits of food as Hairy is probably cold, wet and hungry. Duper brought a bag of Hairy’s favorite liver treats. I’ll be amazed if we don’t find Hairy shortly.

But we don’t. I know that Yohe and I have covered about 15 blocks of back alleyways and still no Hairy. If anyone sees her, we are to contact Ray immediately. He will contact Sid and Tylyn so they can get to the location. Then when she’s recovered we’ll all get a group text.

I check my phone, 4 hours and still no text. The streets are now busy and bustling as the city that never really sleeps has woken up and is going about its business.

‘Dan?’ I look over at Josh Yohe from the Trib. ‘Potash, did you look over here?’

‘ Yeah but you look again. It’s almost time for practice to start. Are they doing a practice this morning?’ The big guy looks out of place looking behind garbage bins.

‘I think so. At least it was planned yesterday.’ I call Hairy’s name again. I jump as my phone vibrates in my pocket.

Rshero: Come back in. Bus leaves for practice in 15minutes. Search called off for now.

‘So still no dog.’ Josh is putting his phone away too.

‘Poor Tylyn and Sid. I can’t imagine what they must be going through.’ I really can’t.

‘Yeah, I know it’s not like losing a child but Hairy is always with them. I thought having a dog along with the team was kid of stupid but she’s ….’ Josh is a wordsmith and at the moment he is lost for words.

‘She’s part of the team. Hairy is as much a part of this team as are any of the rental guys that Shero brought in at the trade deadline. Hairy doesn’t produce on the ice. She brings devotion to the team. Camaraderie. When things get tense, she provides the levity that we all need. When we do find Hairy, I’m going to spot light her.’ I tell him firmly.

‘The dog? You are going to spot light the team dog?’ Josh is holding his side as he laughs.

‘Absolutely. Duper suggested it at the beginning of the Montreal series. It’s just taken me this long to figure out my angle.’ I smile to myself as I call out again. ‘Hairy, COME HERE HAIRY girl.’

**********
It’s been a long night since I last saw the guys. The night finally broken into morning but the rain is still falling. The city has woken up. I can hear the traffic whizzing by on the street. The park has a few people and dogs out for a morning stroll. I’m soaked through and a bit grimey from my hidey hole. I peek out again to see if the nasty big alley cat has left yet. I’d make a dash over to some people if I can. Maybe they might help me find my peoples. Nope, it’s still sitting on the brick wall of the park licking itself. Hmmm, I hope it has vermin.

Biz and Cookie went into a store and left TK and I in the park. I had been sniffing around at some papers by a garage bin when TK pointed out the pigeons. I love chasing pigeons. They are not like chickens at all. They fly and scatter. He let me off the leash and I was having fun startling the birds. That’s when all the noisy sirens came down the street behind and startled me. I ran and ran. I ran through the park and across a street. The cars honked at me. Scaring me more. So I ran to find a safe place. It was dark and noisy everywhere. When I finally stopped running and started looking around for the boys I don’t know where they had gone. I tried following my way back but all the streets look the same. Everything around here is a cacophony of smells. It was so hard to retrace my steps. I tried listening for them. But all I could hear was the sound of the rain and the tires in the water. No Alpha calling me. No Cappy whistles. I know I listened long and hard. I miss my people.

I wandered around a bunch trying to find my way back when I disturbed by the biggest rat I had ever seen. That thing must have been the size of a raccoon. It was ginormous and eating out of a dumpster behind a restaurant. The restaurant smelt very good because I’m pretty cold and hungry. I sidestepped around it so it wouldn’t notice me and that is where I ran into the cat. It pounced on my back and tried to bite me. I must have jumped straight up because the rat was the one who screamed. Not me. I was growling and trying to hold my own. I was able to shake the cat off me but it took a swipe and got my left ear. I pelted out of that back alley and fortunately found my way back to a park and from the smell of it a dog park.
That cat was hot on my tail though so I ducked into the first holey thing I could find. It’s a pipe of some kind under a path. It’s dark and dank in here. It smelt a bit rotten. But nothing can sneak up behind me as there are some old branches blocking the way through. The cat tried to come at me again but I snapped and snarled at it. I can look that cat square the eye so it better think twice about trying to come in here again. I tucked my nose in my tail. My hidey hole may not be the nicest of places but at least I’m mostly dry. I shivered and settled down to wait for morning. My ear hurt but not as much as my heart.

‘Hej med?’ I hear a voice not far from me. I peek out. I can only see some feet and legs talking to the cat. ‘Har du sett en borttappad hund?’

‘Roo?’ I call out quietly. The guy sounds like he’s talking with marbles in his mouth. I’d call to the guy but I don’t want that cat to get a jump on me. The legs walk away and down the path. I guess that he didn’t know me.

‘Hairy? Are here Hairy?’ The voice calls again in English. The legs do know me.

‘I’m here! I’m here’ I bark out as loud as I can this time. The heck with the cat. I’m taking this chance. I’m want back with my pack.

‘Du gömmer sig i det. Vill du komma hem nu?’ The voice is deep and soft.

‘Yip’ It’s Crankshaft I’m almost sure of it. ‘Yip! Yip! Yippy!’

**********

Locker rooms and change rooms are different places. The locker room is where we players put on our gear such as pads, outer clothing and skates. This room is open for the press and visitors. The change room is the true inner sanctum. It’s where we change from our street clothes to our under armour. No one gets in here unless you are part of the team. Today after practice both rooms are equally quiet.

Normally at this point of an off day, the guys would be discussing what we are going to do next. Maybe go to a ball game, take in a movie, head out for a meal are all options but not today. Today the only thing I hear is who is going back out to Delancey and Forsythe. Biz who is our social coordinator is making plans for another sweep of the park.

‘Who’s in?’ He looks around the room.

Some of the guys nod. It’s the core of the team. I know every team expects a 100% commitment level from each player but that’s not always the reality of the situation. I mean here we are in the conference final series playing for the Prince of Wales Trophy. I would have expected at this point our team would have gelled into a pretty tight unit. The core group that has been here for the past few years are tight. We have got each others’ back. But the rest of them. Hmmm. Not so much. On the ice, we are pretty much a cohesive unit but in here, there is some dissension.

‘I say we grab a bite to eat and head back out. I’ll run off some more posters.’ Biz is making notes about suggestions being thrown at him. ‘TK, you’re picking up the bill as you’ve dropped the ball so to speak.’

‘Sid? ‘ Mike Kadar our strength and condition coach calls from the doorway.

‘Yeah?’ I cross the room to him and we step out into the hallway. Mike’s been with the team for years now. Fans of our game only really see the players, coaches and manager team but the whole team includes equipment guys, trainers, physiotherapist, massage therapist, doctors and yes Mike.

‘A bunch of us are going to join the search, but it will take us a few minutes.’ Mike a team player. ‘The EQ guys are putting together a few toys to help us.’

‘Great. I’ll tell Biz. It sounds like we are going to have a quick bite to eat and then head back out. We’re going to meet back at that corner around 1pm.’

‘Right. We’ll see you then. Don’t worry we’ll find Hairy.’ Mike puts his hand on my arm. ‘We will.’

‘I know. It’s 91 I’m worried about. She’s sick with worry.’

‘Yeah and it shows. She’s off her game. Hey, what happened to Crankshaft? He didn’t show up for practice?’ Mike asks.

‘Ray gave him a last minute maintenance day.’ I shrug my shoulders.

‘A few guys got maintenance days but they’re here.’ He looks knowingly at me.

‘I know. And a few of the guys that are here aren’t really with us.’ I add as I know Mike understands what I mean. ‘Ray’s taking notes. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.’

‘Yeah. We’re a lot deeper into the run than I thought we were going to get when after the attack. The team has been really been fortunate to have escaped any major injuries.’ His voice falls off to a whisper. It’s like he doesn’t want to tempt the hockey gods. ’Let’s hope that it continues.’

‘Yeah the last game was an easier win than I thought it would have been.’

‘No, kidding. Did you see Tortorella’s post game?’ Mike smiles. ‘It’s going viral on Youtube. Some reporter asked him what he thought of being beat by a girl. His answer is priceless.’

‘So I’ve heard. I wish 91 was on her game just to hear her chirp him.’ I’ll be checking that out later.’

‘Don’t worry the reporters are doing a great job for her.’ Mike turns to catch the eye of John our massage therapist. ‘Yeah, we’ll see you at 1pm.’

‘Thanks, Mike. See you then.’ I look back into the locker room and wonder how many of these guys will still be here in September.

My phone honks a text message from Biz. Thank god.

‘Crank’s found Hairy.’ I tell Mike as relief floods through my body.

‘Awesome. That’s awesome.’ I swear Mike has tears in his eyes. ‘He’s earned his maintenance day then.’

‘And then some.’ I hear a scream of delight from a room behind us. I assume 91 just opened her text.

********

Sid and Tylyn’s room is actually a small suite. I was going to take them out for lunch today to discuss promotional ideas from Reebok and Gatorade but the search for Hairy changed all that. Sid and I are seated at the table with coffees while Tylyn is in the bathroom with Hairy. Room service is on the way.

‘So she’s okay, then?’ I ask about Hairy.

‘Pretty much, Pat. Thanks for asking. Murray her hiding out in a drain pipe not far from the dog park. He said that he’d been by the spot a couple of times when he noticed a pink gem off her collar in the mud. It must have come off in a fight. Her collar has some teeth marks on it. Hairy’s left ear has a nasty bite on it but she’s okay. Dana checked her out. No broken bones that we could see. I suggested taking her to the vet but that went over like a lead balloon.’ Sid frowns as he answers.

It doesn’t sound like she’s okay.’ From the bathroom, I can hear Hairy whimpering almost crying and Tylyn talking to her in a calm soothing voice.

‘She’s fine. Hairy just doesn’t like baths and she’s filthy from hanging out in the drainpipe. Murray said he didn’t recognize her because she was so mucky. Actually, I think a few guys walked right by her with out recognizing her.’ Sid lifts his phone and shows me the photo that was texted out to the team of the wet, grubby dog. ‘Hairy was so dirty you couldn’t see her white patches except for on her tummy.’

‘You’re okay, Hairy. It’s just warm water. Just a few more rinses and it will all be over. Then a nice warm dry with the blower dryer and then maybe Cappy will cuddle with you. Hold still.’ Tylyn’s voice is soft but firm coming from the bathroom. These two are going to be great parents some day.

‘So everything is back to normal then?’ I ask knowing Sid’s one for routine. He’s a guy who likes to plan.
‘Pretty much. Ty’s exhausted from not much sleep last night but with Hairy back in the fold, I think we’re good.’ He’s interrupted with a knock on the door. ‘Just a sec.’

Sid answers the door and a trolley of dishes is rolled in the room. I sign the bill to my room. And we proceed to take the covers off the plates.

’91 lunch is here.’ Sid calls out over the sound of the blow dry.

‘I’d be almost done if one of us would hold still. Hairy, stand still.’

‘OOOOO, barooooo.’ Hairy’s becoming more vocal.

‘See things are getting back to normal. Hairy’s a talker.’ Sid grins.

Sid and I are back seated at the table with our meals in front of us when Hairy streaks out of the bathroom all fresh and fluffy from her bath. She comes over and sniffs me a hello before asking to join Sid in the desk chair. Sid rolls back the chair enough so she can jump up on to his lap.

‘See that wasn’t so bad. You are all clean and fluffy now.’ My star player gives the little dog a gentle rub down her body and a kiss on her head. ‘You snuggle down hey.’

The little dog yawns and stretches before she lies down on his thighs. She sighs as he pats her.

‘You spoil her.’ Tylyn is now pulling out the chair beside me.

‘Yeah. But it’s been an emotional day. Right Hairy. You had a rough night being lost, wet and cold and then it was the discussion of going to the vet and now a bath. She deserves a nice tummy rub and nap. Hey girl.’ Sid’s sap.

Hairy’s nose poke up from under the edge of the table sniffing as Sid moves his plate of steak and pasta around wafting the aroma of food in the air. I glance a Tylyn. She’s frowning a bit at the black and white furry nose.

‘Don’t think that this is going to be an every mealtime occurrence, missy.’ I just know Tylyn’s going to be a disciplinarian in this family.

‘Rooo?’ Hairy asks from under the table.

‘No.’ Replies Tylyn. ‘No you don’t get snacks from the table. This is a one of cuddle at the lunch table, missy.’

‘Baroooo.’ Grumbles Hairy from her perch.

‘You can get down right now if you keep up this back chat.’ Tylyn lifted off the covering to her plate and begins to eat.

‘Give me about two minutes Hairy and you can have a nice bone to munch on in your crate while we talk.’ Sid smiles. I look at his plate with the huge porterhouse steak on it.

‘Is she going to be okay with that thing?’ I’m skeptical. ‘I thought giving cooked bones to dogs wasn’t good for them?’

‘Hairy just chews on them a bit. She doesn’t eat the whole thing like Buster our family dog. She’ll hardily dent this thing. She’ll be fine. Hairy plays with them more and actually eats them.’ Tylyn answers. ‘Have to you started to talk about the summer plans yet?’

‘No, we were waiting for you but it sounds like Reebok is interested in combining our filming time to help with our July schedule. Pat was saying that they are willing to go to Vancouver to shoot this year.’ Sid catches his wife up on the discussion so far.

‘Oh that’s great. I’ll be busy most of July mornings with field hockey at UBC.’ Tylyn beams at me.

‘Okay, so do you to have a frame work for your summer schedule?’ I open up my iPad’s calendar label 87/91 so I can enter in their confirmed dates.

‘Pretty much.’ Sid answers as he taps on his phone. I can always count on Sid to be well ahead on the plan. ‘We’ll have a couple of days in PIT at the end of our season whenever that is….’

‘Not before the 12th of June. We’ll be busy until at least the 12th.’ Tylyn’s face is set firmly.

‘I assume that’s the last date for game seven in the cup final?’ I don’t have to look at my calendar.

‘Yip.’ Comes from under the table.

‘Hell even the dog know the plan. Win the cup.’ We all burst out laughing. Life is back to normal here.