‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Angry Birds

‘Are you ready for this?’ Jennifer Bullano is standing at the desk in the coach’s room. She’s shuffling papers on her ever-present clipboard.

‘Yup, I think so.’ I take a deep breath. ‘As long as that big guy in the back doesn’t ask anymore weird questions, I’ll be fine.’

‘I think that Josh was put up to that question. I think I know the culprit, too.’ Jennifer gives me a look across the room. ‘Tylyn, you know about the Raise a Little Hell campaign by The Fan radio station? I think someone is fishing for more sound bites.’

‘Hmmm, 87 mentioned it. I can’t change what I’ve said so far but I can try to control future statements.’ I think about this for a minute. ‘Do you think I should change my style? I want to do my best and let’s face it when we started this in April there was only a few reporters. But now this is the Stanley Cup final series, there must be 50 people out there for my pressers. The world is watching us and I want to do my best for the organization.’

‘Just be honest. Just be you. The Organization is very happy with your results.’ Jennifer uses her fingers to put quotation marks around the word organization. We both know whom (Mario and Ron) she means. ’What happens on the ice is what counts here. It’s about the W column in the end. And your sass with the reporters relieves some of the stress. Trust me. I’ve been around the Organization for a while now and it can get pretty tense.’

‘Okay. I’ll try then. I know I’m only doing this as a temporary measure but I want to do my best. I mean one day there might be a girl who wants to coach at this level. I want her to be taken seriously and not judged against this.’ I gesture around me with my hands.

‘Don’t worry. The league is taking you very seriously. Look out in the pressroom. Those reporters want to hear what you have to say because. Well because of your body of work to date. They saw what happened in Philly, Montreal and New York. We, the Penguins, were supposed to take an exit in the second round. But that didn’t happen. We took down two serious contenders in the Habs and the Rangers.’ Jennifer has put down her papers and is now leaning against the desk. ‘Tylyn, did you know that Vegas puts odds on each game? Each series? Actually, each play. During the beginning of your tenure, the odds of us being in the final cup was 30 to 1. That means that they didn’t think we’d get here. Now we are at 11 to 2 to win it. The odds makers are even having to adapt.’

‘But that’s not me. That is the team as a whole. It has taken every one of us to get here.’ I feel exasperated.
‘Yes and you are a huge part of this team. Your sheer belief in each one of us to do our job helps carry us. Ask Sid, he’ll tell you.’ I listen to her words.

‘So it’s to be a bright, confident smile and the usual game day face.’ I give her my public smile. ‘While underneath the surface, I’m paddling my feet like a duck on steroids.’

‘That’s it, ducky. Show them the calm serene above water view.’ Jennifer stands up and glances at the clock. ‘Because everyone has their own personal style of leading. And I think that yours is with humour and grit. It’s show time.’

‘You know, I’m a chicken right?’ I qualify as we walk out to face the banks of cameras.

‘I know you think that you are. I know Sid calls you his chickadee. But I think you are one formidable hockey chick. Tylyn, do you know Timothy Leary’s quote about women?’ She pauses at the door of the pressroom. I shake my head no. Jennifer smiles. ‘ “Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.’‘

******

‘Yeah, Dad take care. Give our love to Mom.’ I end my conversation.

Normally, I share a room with Duper when the team travels but having 91 and Hairy with me; the Pens have sprung for a small suite. This means that we have a kitchenette. This means that 91 is busy puttering organizing for our pre game meal. I’m going to miss this next year. Hairy has her soft Frisbee out and is tossing it around between 91 and me. I’m going to miss this next season. I tap the floor in front of me so Hairy will drop her multi coloured toy. Hairy half crouches in anticipation of the throw. I wing the toy over the back of the couch into the adjoining living room.

‘How is everyone in PIT?’ 91 is chopping some veg on a cutting board. I know what she’s asking. Is Morty still breathing?

‘Fine. Mom and Taylor have been to visit Morty. Sounds like the antibiotics are helping him. Harv and the ladies have been busy ferrying Rachel to and from the hospital. I didn’t realize that Rachel was going to stay at Morty’s place.’ Hairy has brought me the toy. Her amber eyes are eager for me to toss it again. ‘Any way the good news is Morty’s breathing easier.’

‘Oh, that’s great news.’ 91 has stopped chopping and is looking at me. ‘Oh that makes me happy.’

‘Yeah, kinda takes a load off your mind, doesn’t it? So what’s the plan?’ I toss Hairy’s Frisbee this time in through the bedroom door way.

‘Well, I was think on Sunday morning there is a Paws for a Cause Run at the animal Rescue League. I thought that Hairy and I would go. She’s a rescue pup and I’d like to give back. What do you think? I mean I’m not asking you to run. You’ll be tired from the game Saturday night.’ 91 has totally missed what I was asking. I was asking about tonight game plan. ‘I just want to give back …’

‘Sounds good. How long is the run? Maybe if it works I’ll join you?’ Hairy’s back with the Frisbee and is teasing me with it. ‘How early is the run?’

‘It’s a 10am start out near Larimer on Hamilton. Jennifer and I were talking about it. Evidently she adopted a cat from there last year after a calendar photo shoot.’

‘Pens and Paws. I remember. It’s a great cause. The shelter helps a lot of animals on a shoe string budget.’ I reach out try to take the toy. Hairy backs up just out of my reach. Hairy’s back to her feisty self. She still has some bald patches in her coat but barring anymore emotional doggie trouble they will fill in. I sit back in my chair and pretend to ignore Hairy. She inches forward teasing me again with her toy. ‘We should give back, hey Hairy. With out the rescue shelters where would you be? Or more to the point where would we be without you?’

‘Baroooo, aruph’ Hairy wags her tail at me, smiles and teases me again with her toy. This time I’m ready and with my foot pull it under my feet. ‘Arooo, oowooh.’

‘You started teasing Cappy so no whinging.’ 91 scolds Hairy who is mouthing my feet, growling, and trying to get the Frisbee. She looks to me ‘I’m done here. It will just a few minutes in the microwave when we wake up. What time is it?’

‘Almost nap time. Are you ready for nap time?’ I ask Hairy.

‘Always if you’re there.’ But it is 91 who answers. She put the bowls that she has been working with in the fridge, washed her hands is now standing a couple of feet away from me watching Hairy and I wrestle for the Frisbee. I pull her on to my lap.
‘Hey, you watch out or I’ll bench you two periods for roughing up the coach.’

‘You wouldn’t? Would you?’ I give her a terrified face. ‘Hairy, you wouldn’t bench me, would you?’

‘Yip!’ Hairy lets go of my sock.

‘Traitor. I’m the captain. I lead on the ice. Not by sitting on the bench.’ I say indignantly. ‘And here I thought you loved me.’

‘Rwah,baruf’ Hairy climbs on top of me, up over 91 and looks me square in the eye. ‘Wah roo.’

‘I love you, too. Hairy.’ I laugh. Hairy looks so serious. ‘I love you too, fur face.’

91 laughs as Hairy looks very put out. I wrap my arms around my gals and stand up. 91 holds on to Hairy as I carry them into the bedroom for our pre game nap.

*****

Who’s he calling fur face? Just when he figured out what I said. I tell I love him and he calls me fur face. Has the man looked in the mirror lately? He’s really furry and not the nice kind of furry. He’s kinda patchy furry and not in a good way.

As Cappy stands up, Alpha holds on to me. I’m not sure I want to go where he’s taking us.

‘Hold on girly. I’ll let you go in a minute.’ Alpha tells me. ‘I’m sure you don’t want to miss our cuddly nap.’

A cuddly nap? I’m not tired but I like cuddling with them. Alpha on one side of Cappy and me on the other. Okay then if it’s for a cuddly nap.

‘Oh Hairy, you are too funny.’ Alpha teases me. ‘I can see you debating what you want and the Cappy snuggle wins out.’

This makes Cappy laugh out loud. I look up at his face as they laugh at my expense. Well, I think, at least I have all my teeth fur face man.

*******

Angry Birds by Pierre le Bron.

Game Two of the Stanley Cup wasn’t pretty it was a battle scene of angry birds.

The first period saw the Chicago Blackhawks take the lead on a break away goal by Marion Hossa who got behind the Penguins defensive unit of Depres and Niskanen. The questionable hits started shortly after the 14-minute marker when Captain Sidney Crosby was crushed into the boards. Crosby appeared very angry and complained to the ref about his treatment. A flurry or words were exchanged between the Captain and the Hawks young defenseman Ryan Stanton.

Then the unthinkable happen a few shifts later, Stanton was taken into the boards by Matt Cooke and crumpled to the ice. On video review, it appears the hit and pin move of Cooke to contain the Blackhawk against the boards cause his skate to come up on his opponents leg. Stanton had to be helped off the ice. ‘It is a common check. All you have to do watch any game. Pining the player against the board with your leg between his stops your opponent. It happens in every game.’ Coach Crosby said in her post game interview. The Blackhawks organization has released a statement that Stanton’s season is done with a cut Achilles tendon. No penalty was called on the play. But that didn’t stop the retaliation.

The Second period opened with several hard hits on the Pittsburgh Penguin, Beau Bennett during his first two shifts. Cooke stepped between Bennett and Brandon Bollig that caused him to become the instigator in the brawl that ensued. Major penalties and game misconducts were handed out to Cooke and Bollig. Minor roughing penalties went to Derek Engelland and Tanner Glass of the Penguins as well as Duncan Keith from Chicago. But the tempers didn’t end there. The Blackhawks went up two nothing on the ensuing power play. Penguins forward James Neal delivered a high hit from behind on journeyman Michael Frolik. Frolik lay dazed on the ice for a few seconds. He returned to the game for the third period. Neal was assessed a 5 minute major for his actions and a game misconduct. The Penguins went down another goal.

The third brought an onslaught of shots at the Penguin end of the ice. Marc Andre Fleury faced 21 shots alone in the period as the Penguin defense fell apart while at the other end Goalie Corey Crawford turned away a total of 12 shots on goal for the whole game. In the dying seconds of the game, Paul Bissonnette left the ice after blocking a hard shot on net taking the brunt of the force with his left arm.

‘I think, our guys are playing with emotion and it shows. Unfortunately tonight our emotions controlled us and we lost sight of our game plan.’ Said Captain Crosby. ‘We’ll go back to Pittsburgh and assess the damage to be ready for Game 3.’

*****

‘I don’t want to have to do that again. It was horrible.’ This is the first that I’ve heard Tylyn complain since I met her last fall. And I agree with her. It was ugly out there tonight and she is expected to defend some really stupid actions. ‘I don’t agree with any of it. It was just all wrong.’

‘The league will be handing out suspensions to both teams. I just hope that we come out on top.’ Tony cuts me off.

‘Look, Billy, the league will dish out whatever but I think we make plans to be losing Cooke and Nealer for the rest of the year. I suspect that both will get at least five games.’ Tony looks at his phone. ‘That’s the Player Safety guys. They are flying in to PIT in the morning and want to have in person meeting. That means minimum five games.’

‘So we’ll be down Cooke, and Neal for being idiots. Biz is going to be out with his hand. I suspect it’s broken. Morrow’s back is acting up after that hit from Bickell. Iggie’s got old man aches and pains. I suggest we give him maintenance until Game 3 morning and then assess him. Geno shoulder is better but still not great.’ Todd is making notes as he talks. ‘The D are fine. Brooksie is going to be sore from blocking a couple of those shots. Nisky took a couple of hard hits into the boards. We’d have been fine if cooler heads had prevailed tonight.’

‘Give them both a maintenance day, too.’ Tony is scrolling on his phone.

‘Give everyone a rest.’ Tylyn doesn’t usually pipe up during these discussions. She waits until she’s asked for her opinion. ‘I think, we all need to calm down and cool off.’

‘That’s a good idea. It might help squash any bad press. I’ll get Jen to release a statement to that effect. We might not be practicing but I want the players asses in the prep room tomorrow 9am sharp. ‘ Ray face is as grim as I ever seen it. Yikes, he looks scary. ‘Andy, you have any questions about the tape that I want?’

‘I’ve got it. You marked every point in the game. I’ll set it up for you. You want to review it around 8?’ Andy has already had instructions from Ray. Interesting. Ray is pretty much a hands off guy when it comes to coaching the team.

‘Thanks.’ Ray nods to Andy. ‘Now, we have to deal with the league. I don’t know what was said in the room between the first and second and frankly I don’t want to know. But hear this. We do not condone the actions of Cooke or Neal. They acted outside our mandate. Bissonnette surprisingly stayed with in our code. He didn’t start anything but helping the ref’s calm the foray. The tape proves that. Are we all on board here?’

‘Do we have to meet with the league?’ Tylyn voices what I am sure is first and foremost on all of our minds.

‘At this point in time, I don’t think so. Mario and I will take that meeting. We want to contain this as much as they do.’ Ray sets his glasses on the table in front of him and rubs his eyes. ‘It’s been a long day and I suspect tomorrow is going to be equally as long. We meet again tomorrow after Mario and I’ve seen the League boys.’

‘Okay, folks we’re about 5 minutes out from PIT. Please put up seats to the upright position and stow the table trays. We’ll be landing this bird shortly.’ The copilot’s voice interrupts our conversation.

‘Tylyn, don’t sweat this. This is not what the Penguins asked you to do. Trust me when I tell you this. You will not be answering any more questions about bad behavior.’ Ray stands up to go back to his seat. ‘Billy, come sit with me.’

I give Tylyn a wink as I stand to follow Ray. I’m pretty sure I know what he wants. We are going to have some player development.