‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Play the Rebounds

CS 29 Play the Rebounds.

My phone in my bag squawks. I’m driving out to the farm store down the highway. I look at my bag. Hmm, I debate about trying to fish into my bag to pull out my phone or pullover. My bag vibrates and squawks again. It’s Biz. It’s his squawk. I put the indicator on, check my passenger side mirror, shoulder check and steer my car to the side of the road.

‘What’s up Bert?’

‘Hello gorgeous. How’s my second best girl?’ He teases me.

‘I don’t know, maybe you should ask her.’ I sass him back. ‘How is Hairy?’

‘She’s spunky and totally in love with me.’ Biz’s deep voice booms in my ear. ‘I’ve been told that I’m great with the ladies.’

‘Yeah, well maybe with the bitches’ I razz him right back. ‘Hey, what happened to your team last night? They were totally outclassed for the last 40 minutes. It was like they forgot how to play the game?’

‘The boys were obviously missing me. I think that was evident.’

‘Bullshit. They were missing Cooke and Neal more than you. Then Morrow left with the lower body injury. Now what happens?’ I ask

‘Neal will be back for game 5 and Cooke will be back for game 7. Morrow is questionable. I think that they X-rayed him. We should know later today.’ I can hear what is not being said. Morrow may be more attitude than injury. ‘We’ve got depth to draw on with Beau and Engo. We just have to focus on the prize.’

‘What did Frodo say about losing game 3? I bet that went over like a lead balloon.’ I know Frodo doesn’t like to lose.

‘It’s Tony and Todd that really run the locker room. It was tense in there, I hear. But hey I was up in the press box chatting with the big boys. It sounds like Sportsnet is going to have me on as a colour analyst for Game 5.’ I adjust the phone to hear Biz better. ‘I was doing my best Howie Meeker in the press box for them yesterday.’

‘That’s great, Bert.’ It is great. Frodo has said that Biz is been taking some media relations courses as he hopes to work in TV or Radio when his career ends. ‘I might just tune.’

‘Thanks, I’m sure you’ll find it amusing. Hey, so Tygyrl says you’re working in the kitchens at the farm store. Are you learning to cook?’
‘Not really. I did a couple of shifts prep cooking but I truly suck so now they have me running a till. I traded jobs with one of the other gals. I’m not cut out for the catering service.’ Well not after I burn several pots of potato and killed a pasta salad. ‘I’m more a server or eater not a cook.’

‘Hmmm, I might have to review your status as number two girlfriend. I mean cooking my favorite meals is really one of the big criteria of the position. This doesn’t bode well for you.’ Bert sounds so serious.

‘Well you win some you lose some.’ I chuckle. ‘I guess I’m willing to win by losing you.’

‘Now don’t get a head of yourself, I might be able to find you another position in my entourage. Tygyrl says you got in McMaster’s medical school. You know that very close to my old stomping grounds.’ I didn’t really. I did know he was from Ontario but I’ve not checked exactly where Bert is from. ‘Maybe, you could spend some of your time off learning to cook my favorites from my mom?’

‘Maybe you should spend some time there this summer learning to cook from your Mom?’

‘No, that’s not going to work for me. I’ll be spending my summer in Vancouver, doing some tech courses at BCIT.’ My heart jumps in my chest. VANCOUVER… he is coming to the west coast. ‘Sid’s going to train there for a bit and asked me if I’d like to join in this year. Andy O’Brien is running a few training camps. I thought that it might work into my schedule.’

‘Sound like that could be a plan. Are you trying to get to Sochi next winter?’ I scramble for some thing to say.

‘No, I know I’m not that caliber. I’m hoping to keep my third line job. I’ll be happy with that and a few more courses towards my degree.’ Well surprise, surprise, the man has ambition for more than just a few laughs accompanied by a few beers. ‘Heck, we might even cross paths out there to discuss your role as number two girlfriend.’

‘We might at that big guy. We just might.’ Hmmm well that’s something to look forward too.

************

‘It’s a better game than Game three. You’ve got to admit that, Mario.’ I smile at Mayor Luke Ravenstahl. ‘Coach Crosby has her work cut out for her with this match up.’

‘It’s better.’ I look down to the ice. The game has stopped for a TV timeout and the players from both sides are changing lines. ‘Tylyn has worked hard to push, pull, and drag the boys to get them this far. You better watch out. I heard that you said that if we win the cup, you’d give her a meeting to discuss a topic of her choice.’

‘Yeah, that was way back just after she took over the reigns. I didn’t think that the team would make it this far. She a firecracker that one.’ I look at the man to my left then down to the ice. We are just past the 14 minute mark in the third period of game 4.’ And now Stanley Cup fever has gripped the city again. Do you really think that the Pens can win it?’

The faceoff is just out side the blue line at the Hawks end of the rink. Geno lines up against Handzus. This has been a better game. The Hawks came out gunning in the first period. Vokoun faced 16 shots in the first 10 minutes of play before we were able to tally our first shot on goal.

‘Hmmm, yes I actually do. And don’t let Tylyn hear that hint of doubt in your voice. The coaching staff has worked very hard to study each team we’ve met to discern their style of play. The Hawks have an impressive arsenal of goal scorers so that they don’t necessarily out work their opponents but just keep ahead of them on the score sheet. They are ranked 19th out of the 30 teams in the league for penalty kill. Crawford’s numbers are not bad but he doesn’t have to be great because he knows that the guys playing in front of him will give him a cushion. We saw that in game two and three. You can’t let them get too far ahead of you on the score board.’ The game is tied at 2. Our boys are playing a trap game to stifle Chicago’s offence. It’s been working. ‘Chicago plays hard at getting the lead early then holding on to it so if you can stave off the onslaught of goals then you have a chance.’

The lines have changed again and the fourth liners are out against Chicago’s top line when Kane gets a penalty for holding. It’s a dumb penalty to take with the scored tied up and time winding down on the clock. The crowd roars with anticipation as out first power play unit takes to the ice. Sid, Kuni and Duper line up with Tanger at point. Martin is back to hold the fort against any breakaways. The boys pass the puck around trying to find an opening. Then finally Sid flicks the puck back to Tanger who rifles it in on net. The initial shot was blocked but Duper is there to leap on the rebound and bang it in. The building erupts with cheers. For the first time in this game we have the lead.

‘Yes. Yes.’ Yells Ravenstahl as we watch the replay on the Jumbotron. ‘That wasn’t pretty but we’ll take it. Now we just have to wind down the clock, right?’

‘Pretty much but Quenneville won’t go down with out a fight. He’ll load up his lines to tie up the game.’ I say.

On the ice, the players have finished celebrating and have lined up at center ice. Toew’s line is out against Sutter’s boys. Interesting. Normally, it would be the fourth line playing and not the third. Hmmm. I look over the edge of the glass in front of me to see on to the bench. It’s a long way down but I can see that Tylyn is off her riser and is talking to the D men on the bench. Orpik and Depres are out on our blue line. I wonder what she is planning. The clock winds down a few minutes with the Hawks pressing hard. Shots are coming hard and fast on Vokoun but he is keeping calm and not giving up any rebounds. The lines change again. Glass is centering between Engelland and Vitale. The play is fast and furious in front of our goal. Bollig takes the puck into the boards against Engelland. There is a scrum that results in the puck being swept to the side of the net. The puck is too far out of Vokoun’s reach to trap it so he pokes the puck forward to Vitale. We watch, as Vitale is able to get the puck across our blue line. Glass is with him on the far side of the ice. Niskanen jumps up to gap up. Glass passes the puck to Vitale to get around the waiting Chicago defense. Vitale glances over his shoulder to catch the now flying Niskanen. Vitale centers the puck and Niskanen doesn’t make any mistakes. He lets loose with a cannon of a shot.
I swear the rafters of the building shake with the noise from the fans in the stands. I didn’t hear the goal horn for the noise.

Ravenstahl’s mouth is moving but I can’t hear his words. He mouths the words again slowly so a can read he lips. ‘Should I be scared yet?’

‘Oui mon ami Oui.’ I mouth back. He should be scared because I know Tylyn wants to talk to him about a community-composting program. And she’s a woman on a mission. I look at the clock. We have a two-goal lead with less than a minute left on the clock. Now it is time to wind the clock down.

**********

‘Yeah, having the games tied makes it easier going back to Chicago. We will still have our work cut out for us. The Madhouse on Madison is a tough place to win a game and to take the cup we are going to have to win another one in that building.’ Piet called this morning to congratulate us on our win last night.

‘It’s hard to tell on the TV but the announcers always say that it’s one of the noisiest place to play. Does that make it hard to play?’ He asks.

‘It can for sure but the CEC can get pretty loud too. You learn to use set plays and to talk in the breaks to set stuff up. You have to keep your wits about you and eyes wide open for opportunities.’

‘So when do you leave for Chicago? I thought that you’d have left after the game last night.’

‘No, we are having today off as a rest day. We’ll do some game tape review later this afternoon but pretty much it’s a family day. The guys have been going so hard at it; I think everyone agreed to a rest day. We fly out tonight after dinner. The flight is only 1½ hours. We’ll get in a short practice in the morning then rest for the afternoon. The game doesn’t start until 8pm Chicago time.’ We’ve done this before in the regular season and it has been successful. ’It’s sometimes hard on the guys being away from their families so much. I know Ty feels that the team earned this day off.’

‘They did, Sid. They really did.’ Piet pauses. ‘On a more somber note, I hear Morty isn’t doing very well.’

‘No he isn’t. He struggles for each breathe. Ty and I were over there yesterday before the game. Morty’s a feisty guy but you can tell that just breathing is taking it’ toll. The doctor’s don’t think that he’ll last that much longer. They say that his body is just wearing down.’ It makes to me sad to say the words. ‘Ty keeps teasing him that he has to watch us win the cup but I don’t know if he will actually last that long. Harv has that Morty insists on watching the games.’

‘You know I always have believed that people can actually will themselves to live. I don’t know if you know but my parents were in a bad car accident. My father was killed out right but my mother died later in hospital. I believe she wanted to say good bye to all of us before she died. She waited to say she loved us and tot ziens to all of us. Jan was the last one to the hospital. He was in Vancouver and had to fly over. She hung on until he got there. It was incredible. Jan came in the room. She spoke to him quietly as was her way and then she just stopped breathing.’ I can hear the emotion in his voice. ‘So don’t under estimate Morty because if he wants to see you win this cup he will.’

‘Yeah.’ I say quietly while I absorb what he is saying. ‘Yeah. I’m glad that Mum is coming back out. I think Harv will appreciate the moral support. He says that Jean and Alice have been great but ….’

‘I hear what you are saying, Sid. Helen and Harv have a connection. They both have lost a spouse. It’s an experience that every couple has to face at some point but I’m sure it isn’t easy. Harv and Morty supported each other through their wives deaths, I can’t help but thinking that this is going to bring up those events again.’ Piet says.

‘Yeah. Alice and Jean have each other. I know that Harv is really going to miss Morty when he goes. We all will but Morty’s been a good friend to Harv.’ I know I’m not saying this well so I shift the subject. ‘Ty and I’ll pick Mum up at the airport this afternoon. We’ll all get to have dinner here before we leave for Chicago.’

‘Sounds good, Sid.’ I can hear some horns honking in the back ground behind Piet’s voice. ‘Please give our love to Tylyn. That’s my delivery truck trying to get Buster to move. Tots ziens to you and my girls, Sid.’

‘I will. Tots ziens, Piet. Give our love to the family’ I hang up my phone.

91 and Hairy are on the sundeck. Hairy looks like she’s on bird patrol while 91 is talking to Tony and Todd on her phone. A breeze ruffles her hair. We have only been together a few weeks but I can’t imagine my life without them now. We are a family.

**********

The gravel crunches under the Rover’s tires as we pull into the Animal Shelter’s driveway. Jennifer asked us to arrive early for the run with Hairy. The shelter has asked if Hairy would do a TV spot about the benefits of rescuing a pet. 87 and I both have been supportive. Hairy’s last TV spot was a huge success. Dan Potash did a great job keeping his interview to simple questions. Hairy yipped and ooh’d her answers. She even growled at the suggestion that Claude Giroux was the best captain in the NHL. According the Jennifer, Root TV has been asked to play to video again. A camera crew will record us touring the shelter and then taking part in the charity run.

‘You don’t have to run if you’re tired.’ I’ve been trying to give 87 an out. I know that he’s tired from last night’s game. ‘Today is your rest day. Hairy and I can go.’

‘I know but it’s such a good cause. Let’s see. I’ve brought my running gear and you know I like running with my girls.’ 87 winks at me. His hair is long now, as he hasn’t had it cut for a couple of months. 87 looks more like a mountain man every day with his beard getting longer and shaggier daily. His smile is just the same to my eye. Okay, maybe he is just missing a few teeth.

‘Aroo? Rumph?’ Hairy’s in the back of the Rover but clearly needing to be part of our conversation.

‘You’re going to run with me, Hairy. We are going to tour this shelter then we’ll go for a run. Maybe you might meet a couple of new friends? What do you say to that?’ I call back to her.

‘Ooowo’ Hairy doesn’t sound to happy about my plan.

‘You’ll have fun once you get there you silly goose.’ I tease her.

‘Oowoow.’

‘It will be fine, Hairy.’ 87 is such a softy. ‘She can stay with me if she’s nervous.’

87 pulls the Rover into a parking space under some trees. The weather has been lovely and warm the past few weeks. Today the forecast is for temperatures in the high 80’s. I shade my eyes from the sun and greet Jennifer as she pulls in behind us
‘Morning Jen.’ I wave in her direction as she opens her car door. 87 has Hairy out of the Rover and has her harness on her.

‘Good Morning, Crosbys. This shouldn’t take long. We’ll do a quick tour, let Hairy play with a few of the adoptees, and by then the run should be starting.’ Jennifer is always so organized. ‘I believe that the run is being started at the other entrance and winds it’s way through the local pathways. Let’s go in and get started.’

Inside the shelter we are introduced to several of the volunteers and staff. The facility appears to be well run if not over run with potential adoptees. The cat room must have had 30 cats of varying ages, sizes and colours. Hairy balked at going into the room. She has been nervous ever since we can through the doors. It’s kinda like she remembers being in a shelter. I picked her up to walk amongst all the cats. 87 pets a few and talks to the volunteer about a neutering and spaying program.

I understood Hairy’s apprehension when we got to the reptile room. I really don’t understand why people want to keep snake and lizards. They just seem creepy to me. But 87 just kept walking and talking. Hairy and I followed closely behind him. The camera crew was focusing on him thank goodness.

‘Our next area is an out door yard for our canine residents.’ At the door, a fat, old very pale cream-coloured lab with gold ears meets us. ‘This is Beulah. She’s the grand dam of the yard. She’s on her last days here.’

‘Hello there.’ 87 kneels down and talks to the dog. ‘Are you the tour guide here or do you spend most of your time being a referee?’

‘Ooowoowo. Garuff.’ Hairy puts up a protest in my arms and squirms to get down.

‘Is it okay that I set Hairy down?’

‘Sure. Everybody here has had their shots and is healthy. Any of the sick animals are kept segregated until they are well. We don’t want to have any outbreaks.’ Our guide says. ‘Maybe Hairy would like to play with the others. Everyone here is very social.’

I look around the yard. It’s a large grassy area under the canopy of some large maple trees. We’ve attracted the attention of the inmates. There must be about 20 dogs of mixed breeds. Big dogs and little dogs, fat dogs and skinny, but mostly they are all young. The oldest one seems to be Beulah. I set Hairy down and release her. The other dogs crowd around her and they greet her with sniffs. And the game begins. A smallish dog nips her and challenges her to play. The dog is just a bit bigger than her in size. It’s mostly white with a large black splash of colour on its chest.

‘That’s Tater. We think he’s a Jack Russell Beagle cross. He’s is a bit high energy.’ Susan our guide for this morning is probably Mama’s age. Her face has the start of creases when she smiles. ‘This is his third time with us. He was brought here last summer when his owner was moving and didn’t want to take him along. They said that they were moving into an apartment and he wouldn’t get the exercise he needed.’

‘Does that happen often?’ I ask. A few other dogs have joined in the game of tag.

‘More often than you would imagine. I think first time pet owners don’t realize the time and commitment it takes to be responsible for a dog. Tater was adopted out last autumn and the family brought him back a couple of weeks ago. I think he wore out his welcome there. He’s not a bad guy but unless you entertain him he tends to entertain himself.’

‘Now what will happen?’ 87 is still rubbing the old Lab’s ears.

‘We are hoping that a high-energy family comes along. Tater just needs someone to play with. I think he would be a devoted guy. Both times he was brought in he seemed very depressed for days. We try to give them as much of a chance as possible. That’s why we hold these runs. It’s not just to raise funds to support the facility but to raise awareness about adoptions.’ Says Susan. ‘I really think that we have a pet for every kind of person out there. They give us back more in love than we give them in care.’

‘Hmm. I know. My family has had Hairy for a couple of years. She was so scared at the shelter in my hometown that my uncle brought her home. He volunteers to exercise the dogs. She came to the farm for foster care and became part of the family.’ I watch, as Hairy and Tater are tearing around the yard chasing one and other. They look like they are having a blast. ‘Look Sid, Hairy’s found a friend.’

‘Yeah. One that might be able to keep up with her.’ He laughs. ‘I know what that is like. Hey Beulah, girl. Do you get out to exercise much?’

‘No Beulah doesn’t she just follows everyone around. Mostly our volunteers take out the young ones that need more exercise than this yard provides. That’s why she’s so fat. Beulah’s only 6 years old. She’s just very fat. Her owner spoiled her with treats. She came to us when he died last fall.’ Susan fills us in with some history.

‘Do you think that she’d like to do the 2 mile walk with me?’ 87 looks up at us.

‘Probably. I don’t think that she’s left the premises since she arrived. I’ll see if we can find a leash.’ Susan moves off. Jennifer and the camera crew are filming Hairy and Tater.

‘You’ll walk?’ I ask.

‘I think so. Beulah here is a nice gal. It seems a shame to come all the way out here and not give something back.’ 87 is now rubbing the big white belly of the dog. ‘Hairy is doing her part so I can do mine.’

‘I wonder if Tater would like to run with me and Hairy?’

‘Maybe. Do you think that you can control them both?’ 87 looks concerned.

‘Probably. Hairy knows the rules and she’ll just have to help out with Tater.’ I think for a moment. ‘Do we have another leash in Rover?’

‘I think so. I know I put and extra one in last week. You want me to check?’

‘Please. Maybe we can do a little bit of good. I’ll take Tater if you take Beulah.’ I know that there are lots of dogs here that need some help. Maybe if we can show even one family another pet will find a home. ‘Jen, Sid and I are each going to take a dog with us on our runs.’

‘That’s a great idea. I’ll see if I can take one too. Let me get the camera crew to film this.’ Jen has been throwing a stick for what looks like a Boston terrier cross. ‘Do you want to go for a walk?’

I watch around me. I have a few dogs still nosing me for attention. I pet and talk to a few while I think. Hairy comes back to me with her tongue hanging out the side of her mouth in a smile. She looks so happy and tired. Tater has followed her over to me. I crouch down to his level. Tater’s eyes are very expressive. He seems a bit sad.

‘Hello Tater.’ I let him sniff my hand. Hairy pushes between us. I pull her close to me so she knows that I love her. ‘It’s okay Hairy. I’d like to meet your new friend.’

***********

Beulah huffed and puffed through our whole walk. This was probably the most exercise that she’s had in her whole life. But she plodded along beside me. I stopped a lot to sign autographs for people, which gave Beulah time to rest. But she never gave up. If I went then she followed. I didn’t need the leash for my companion. Beulah never left my side. We arrived back at the shelter about the same time that 91, Hairy and Tater did from their 5 mile run.

‘How did you manage?’ I ask as they run up to me. 91 looks flushed and sweaty from the run and the two dogs are on a special leash that has one handle and two leads attached to it. The shelter had them made so it would be easy to walk two dogs on one leash. Tater is about 11/2 taller at the shoulder than Hairy. Both dogs are panting but seem happy enough. Hairy pulls Tater towards me. I reach down to rubs their ears.

‘Great. The leash worked great. Tater kept up and wasn’t too distracted. He tried at first to sniff everything in sight but Hairy pulled him into running with us.’ 91 says between sips water. ‘You showed Tater the ropes didn’t you Hairy? Hey one of the ladies said that they had some buckets of water for the dogs. Have you seen them? I think that these two could probably do with a drink.’

‘Yeah, up under those trees. See the group of people there.’ I point.

‘Great. How did you two make out? Did Beulah do the whole walk?’

‘She did fine thanks to lots of autographing breaks. Right Beulah?’ The pale lab is still at my side. She’s now sniffing Hairy and Tater. The three dogs are all nose to tails.

’87, I’ve been thinking…’ 91 pauses as we walk.

‘Me too, 91.’ I ‘m pretty sure I know what she is going to say.

‘How do we manage this?’

‘Well…I’m not sure yet.’ I know that we have only another week to ten days left in Pittsburgh before our summer of traveling starts. We have at least three games. And probably two road trips. I look into the expectant pairs of dog eyes. ‘But I’m thinking.’