Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

The Last Photo

“Sophie… Could you end early for the day? There’s something Nate and I really want to discuss with you…”

Clarice’s eyes were hesitant, and my heart jumped into my throat.

“Oh, God. What’s wrong? Have I done something? I’m sorry if my inviting Brian upset you in any way, I just wanted him to come out of his shell a little bit; I understand I should have come to you first, Clarice.”

“It’s…not about that. I’m actually glad. He’s been talking about you nonstop for the past couple of weeks.” Really? “You should see how he’s been toting around his gift from you. But please, let’s talk in the den.”

I followed her on reluctant feet. What could this be about then?

She patted the spot on the couch beside her, and I sat carefully. Nate was smiling at me softly from the other side of his wife.

“Umm, Clarice?”

“You know, Brian isn’t my only grandchild. Our daughter never let us around them, not until…” Her voice broke for a moment, and she turned to Nate—but not before I saw her eyes brimmed with tears.

“Sophie,” Nate coughed, clearing his throat, “Our daughter married and moved far away from us. She didn’t want us around her children, and we respected her decision—may she rest in peace.”

Oh, poor Brian! My hand shot to my mouth as I felt my heart rip into pieces for that poor boy.

“And Brian’s father?” I choked, not sure I wanted the answer.

Nate shook his head, and Clarice gave a soft cry. I looked down quickly.

“Brian doesn’t much remember them, because he was so young when they passed. Of course we took him in a heartbeat, but we always assumed our granddaughter died with our daughter and her husband.”

“But… She’s alive?” I whispered, pleading with them to tell me yes. Brian would be so happy!

Nate nodded. “Yes, she’s alive. She hadn’t lived with them at the time; they had a fight, and she ran out long before Brian was born.” He held up a finger and dug into his wallet to produce a piece of photo-paper. He fiddled with it in his fingers for a moment. “This was the picture they took with Brian when he was born.”

I took the picture gently in my hands. Brian was a cute baby indeed, but my eyes were glued to the couple who looked—

“What are their names?” I whispered, my voice breaking. This couple…

“Wait, there’s another picture,” Clarice interrupted, taking the photo from me and standing. She crossed the den and moved to the fireplace to retrieve a photo-frame before collapsing beside me. Her hand fell on my knee, like she was…trying to comfort me?

“Our daughter came to us when Brian was one year old, and she was in hysterics. She was talking to us about what she had done, how she’d lost her daughter when she’d tried sheltering her for eighteen years.” My stomach was in absolute knots as I stared at her, absorbing every word. “She was hoping I’d seen her because she was trying to track her down. She…wanted to meet her grandchild, didn’t even know if it was a boy or girl—she’d been so scared when she found out about the child, all she had been able to think about was how she’d failed her. ”

“Clarice, please don’t—”

“Her face all but lit up when I said that I was almost positive I knew her daughter. I gave her the picture the girl had given me, a picture taken when her baby boy was first born.” I… I had given her a picture of Rein and I, because she’d asked what Rein looked like. “She said she didn’t want to meddle in her life, not after she’d done so much to her own flesh and blood. The picture was enough to make her happy, so she left after making me promise not to tell anyone she was here.”

“Clarice, listen; I really think I should go—”

She pushed the frame into my hands. “Look, Sophie. This was the last family picture they took before…it happened.”

I didn’t want to look, not when I was already near to passing out; but my eyes betrayed me and dropped to the frame.

There was that same couple. The Italian man was holding the baby boy in his arms, but the smile seemed so forced and painful. The woman was holding a picture, and her eyes were brimmed with tears despite her smile and her gaze was on the picture of the girl and newborn.

The picture she was holding… It was of my Rein and I on his very first day on earth, the one the nurse had offered I take.

My phone started vibrating furiously in my pocket, and I grabbed it with shaking fingers.

“Hey, Sophie,” Orion said loudly, talking over the inter-lapping voices in the background. “I’m almost there. Will you be ready?”

“Is Brian with you?” I choked, glancing down to the frame still mocking me from my lap.

“Yes… Sophie, what’s wrong?”

I just choked, unable to form words.

“Sophie, please! Is something wrong? What’s going on? Are you hurt?”

I was still silent.

“I’m pulling up right now… Damn it!” he hissed, and a clattering sound was all I heard before silence. The boys were no longer screaming, but I heard a door slam both through the phone and from outside.

Orion didn’t even knock—he just threw the door open and had stolen me from the couch in but one second. I didn’t even question how that was possible, not when I saw how intensely blue his eyes were.

“Sophie, are you alright?” he rasped, scanning the room for threats. “Are you hurt? Just tell me something!”

I buried my face in his chest, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck and trying to let the beating of his heart tell me that everything was okay.

Three boys stomped into the house, screaming and wailing, but I couldn’t bring myself to look.

“What… What happened?” Orion begged, his voice strained but no longer so hoarse. He was back to himself.

“Sophie, we had to find a way to tell you. Brian has known for two years, and he just didn’t understand why we couldn’t tell you. It was killing him, to watch you come and go.” Clarice’s voice was still choked. “We couldn’t do that to him anymore.”

I pushed against Orion’s chest, and he reluctantly set me down. His wary gaze remained firmly set on Clarice and Nate—my…my grandparents.

“Rein… He never got to meet his Nan and Grandpappy,” I whispered, my heart breaking. “I always thought…that they would someday return my calls. But they’ve been gone for years?”

“I’m sorry, Sophie,” Nate whimpered.

I moved my gaze past Orion and to the black-haired boy who was pressing his back to the wall and staring at me.

“Brian,” I murmured, my fingers grazing Orion’s arm as I brushed past him. “Brian, you don’t much remember Mama and Papa, do you?”

He shook his head. “No…”

“Sophie, please tell me what’s going on,” Orion murmured, stepping up behind me and catching my arm softly despite the fact that I ignored him.

“Nan and Grandpappy said I have a sister, that she had to leave because an awful man made her a mama.” Brian cut his spiteful glare at Orion. “They said the reason she doesn’t know me is because of you!”

Brian lunged at Orion then, who just bore it with silent sympathy and made no move to correct him.

“Sister, he’s an awful man! Let’s run away! Please, let’s just run away!” he spat, kicking and pounding his tiny fists against the patient man.

“Brian, that’s enough,” I murmured, catching his arms. “Orion isn’t Rein’s father.”

He blinked, no longer wriggling. “He’s not?”

“No. Rein’s father didn’t stick around very much, but Orion isn’t to blame for this. I’m just so sorry that I… I should have fought harder, Brian. If I had known I had a baby brother on the way, I would have fought so much harder; I would have been there for you, I swear.”

His eyes prickled with obvious tears, so I pulled him into my arms.

“You just left every day, and Nan said I had to watch you because you didn’t know about me!” he wailed into my shoulder. “She said I had to wait, but I didn’t want to wait! I wanted you!”

“You’ve got me, Brian, I promise.” I glanced back to Orion. “Can we please go home now? I think I’ve had enough…excitement for one day.”

“We’ll go wherever you want.”

I smiled tiredly. “There’s not enough room at my house for three boys, Orion.”

He kissed my cheek softly. “Okay.”

“Sophie…” I glanced back to Clarice, who was smiling gently. “Your mother would be so happy that you found him.” She nodded to Orion. “And…when you’re stable, I think Brian would much rather live with you and what’s left of our family. If you’d have him.”

Brian watched me with hopeful eyes, now holding tightly to Orion’s hand.

“Orion…”

“Say no more,” he murmured, gripping Brian’s hand tightly. “The car’s ready, so we can go now; if you’re ready.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It wasn't originally going to be a double-update kind of night... But then I realized what the next chapter was and just couldn't help myself! As always, thanks for reading :)