Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Iah

Regina was more than happy to take over, and I was more than happy to let her. She purred delight the second my human body had dissolved.

You can have free reign, Regina. Just...let's go far away from here.

We'll come back, right? For Rex? And for our pups? And Breindel?

We're coming back! I just need to get away for a few hours.


She yipped in agreement, and the black wolf pounced into the thicket surrounding Orion's village.

It was actually an impressive amount of land when one took the time to truly enjoy all of it. An expanse of trees surrounded us; and no matter how many thundering footsteps propelled us, we never reached the end of the tree line. From under the umbrella of treetops, the moon was nearly invisible—save a small beam of light that trickled down from the sky and illuminated the path ahead of us.

But Regina suddenly stopped, effectively halting all of my blissful thoughts.

She ducked forward and sniffed the air carefully. Then her tail began to wag feverishly, and she took off in a dead bolt.

What are you—Oh!

She yipped happily as if to say "Look what I've found!" and trotted along the edge of the private lake that formed from a trickling creek. Regina seemed to enjoy lapping at the water, but she did not step past the water's edge.

Would you fancy a swim?

She shook her head.

No. This is the edge of Orion's territory. I can smell it. She sniffed the air again, to see if she was missing something. Rogues live out there. I won't go a step farther.

So maybe this land did come to a grinding stop.

But I did not let my negative thoughts damper her mood—not that she even cared. She just dipped her toe in the water, yipping before quickly withdrawing. Her head cocked slightly.

Oh, but this was her first experience with water, wasn't it? I chuckled as she continued her ritual, testing the water and becoming startled by the wetness.

But then she froze, and her ears struck upward, alert. All prancing was forgotten.

What's the matter?

Her throat began rumbling with an aggressive growl, and her lip curled back to allow the sound to echo out in warning. A sick feeling filled my stomach. Regina's eyes were focused on the thicket across the lake. There was a bush rustling over there...

But a russet wolf popped out. The colour of his fur...

I smiled inwardly. I knew that colour anywhere.

Orion! I called, trying to get his attention despite my lack of a...body. Regina, it's Orion! But why is he over there? Orion, come back over here!

The wolf cocked his head, but he appeared to be uninterested in my friendliness—not when Regina was still snapping like a rabid dog!

Regina, stop it!

"Step back!" she snapped, pawing backward despite her threat. "Rogue!"

Rogue?

That's not Rex. I'd know my mate anywhere, clueless human!


I rolled my eyes at her. Of course it was Orion. I tried to urge her forward, but she kept pedaling backwards.

"Orion?" the wolf asked, taking one step towards the river border. "How do you know him?"

My heart sunk. So...he wasn't Orion?

"How do you know my human's mate?" Regina countered, her eyes still narrowed in aggression.

"Your mate?" The wolf shook his head wildly. "I never thought I'd see the day! That human always droned on and on about finding a mate. I suppose he is Alpha now." The wolf looked almost sad then, and it whimpered softly. "It was supposed to be me."

Regina... I did not like how this puzzle was coming together! Regina, tell me that's not—

"You're Luca's wolf, aren't you?"

He snapped. "Iah! I have a name, and it's Iah! Just because Orion took my title is not to say that I mean bugger all to this world!"

"You had better leave before I call out to Rex," she warned.

They continued on like that, but I felt something...strange pushing at me.

What is your name?

S...Sophie? Who is this?

I could
feel a smile.

Sophie...


That voice sounded vaguely familiar.

But the wolf across the river suddenly whined and whimpered, and he bounded back into the bush. Regina stamped her paw on the ground a few times before turning and skulking back the way we had come. My wolf was definitely intimidating if she could scare away a once-Alpha.

That is the absolute last time we will see Iah and Luca. I am sorry for being distracted today and for allowing him past my guard. He won't speak to you again. I will kill him on sight.

Luca...?

Regina glanced back once more, but he was truly gone.

But that had been a bit too easy, hadn't it? He acted as if he didn't even remember me! The nerve.

Do not look a gift horse in the mouth, Sophie, Regina scoffed, breaking into a run. We must tell Rex and Orion that he is stalking the grounds.

But he didn't harm—

Do you want him near Rein? Because I don't!
No... I did not. I will not risk my pup!

I know that he was a horrible person, that he raped me and left me for dead... But that sad look on that wolf's face was stuck in my mind.

Maybe Iah isn't bad. Maybe it's just Luca.

Regina snarled. It does not matter. Iah is a part of him, so he will die for Luca's crimes.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that should hopefully make up for my absence! Thanks for reading :)