Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Highs and Lows

"How is it Thursday already?" she whined in to his ear with an audible sad grin.

"Well yesterday was Wednesday…" Ben teased.

"Clever you." There was a nervous pause after her sassy comeback. "Miss you already."

"Just keep yourself well the next week or so, yeah? Do that for me and I'll bring you back something."

"I'll do my very best, darling."

"That's my girl." His little chuckle gave her hope. He gave her hope. "I'll call when I land and we'll Skype as soon as possible. Don't wait up if it gets late."

"Don't wait up," she mockingly snorted. "As if I could sleep without hearing that sexy voice."

"Fine," he laughed with an audible roll of his eyes. "Talk to you later. I love you, Kenz."

"Love you more, Ben. Now don't be late. Your American Cumberbitches are waiting for you."

"American Cumber Collective."

"Whatever. I know you only pretend to dislike the name. You're secretly too smug not to get an ego boost from it," his woman giggled from miles away. "Bye."

"Love you."

With that, they both hung up, slightly unsatisfied. He didn't like leaving her so soon after her worst night yet. If she could keep well until he returned, that wouldn't be too much to ask. It would only be a week, ten days tops. The possibility was always there, threatening their happiness in the blink of an eye. Yet he chose to keep optimistic. She had her family and friends, multiple sets of eyes watching over her when he couldn't.

"Heathrow to New York flight BA0182 will be departing in thirty minutes," the intercoms announced.

Benedict looked at his mobile screen once more before putting the device in his pocket. Her smiling lips and eyes made a corner of his own mouth twitch up into a half smirk. See you on the plane, she seemed to say. The lock button was pushed then the mobile was safe in his coat pocket.

A few minutes of being lost in a crowd was more than welcomed. For just a few minutes, he was another face at the airport waiting to leave one routine for another. It would be the last chance he got to walk around unnoticed. Once his plane landed, another show would begin. Once in America, he had to be BenedictCumberbatch- all eyes and cameras on him until he found himself in another crowded airport going back to London. And he was just getting used to being just Ben, just hers.

Saturday Morning (LA)/ Afternoon (Sussex)

"How are we this afternoon?" he asked, laying wrong side up on his bed, laptop right in front of his face.

"Good enough, I suppose. A bit tired today," Makenzie sighed in the same position on her own bed. "Gran's been trying to get me out of the house all day."

"Don't feel up to it?"

"Probably could make it through physically but I couldn’t keep the mental game up long enough- you know how she is when she goes shopping. And I would be more exhausted tomorrow. Simply not worth it."

"I've seen it firsthand and agree whole heartedly with you. Stay home and rest up unless you absolutely have to get out. It's cold there anyways; no need to catch something your body can't fight off." Oh, she loved him in his semi-Sherlock moments, mixing his love with logic.

Benedict's smile warmed her heart. He didn't seem too far away when they video chatted. They talked like this when he was in London so America didn't seem so far. Not yet anyways. He was handsome, as always. His skin had already tanned a bit from the California sun she missed. From the looks of it, he had just come out of the shower; a shower with him would be lovely to say the very least.

"What's on today?"

"About to do a radio interview. They've had me on a few times before. It's always casual."

"Until they start complimenting you. Then you turn all gushy," she grinned cheekily.

"I don't go gushy," he argued with quirking eyebrows.

"Remember, love. I used to be one of those fangirls, listening to every radio station in the country just to listen to my favorite actor talk a bit. That low rumble and humble laughter of strange girls proposing." His laughter and loss of eye contact only confirmed her remarks.

"Bugger off," the man laughed before a playful stern look.

"Never. I'm yours for life."

Those eyes were sparkling more than they had in a while. She was practically beaming with pride and love. He wanted to be laying in that bed molded beside her more than anything else in the world. The ocean between them made him slightly more nervous with each hour that passed. Couldn't the doctor's tell her that she was in the clear? If only they could see her now. Then again, they would already see her too soon- despite when they saw her next. Another lifetime would be too soon for her to step foot back into that place.

"Ready for the Golden Globes?"

"Doubt I'll come home with anything," he sighed. "Quite the number of big names this year."

"Including yours," his woman kindly argued. "Besides, if Benedict Cumberbatch doesn't walk away with something, he's certainly coming home to something." Her change of expression sent his heart racing. "Already picked up your welcome home present. Nicked it from this Victoria lady," she giggled. Make that his heart and dirty thoughts racing.

"No sneak peak? After all, it's just you and I." He was using that sensual voice and deep stare to get his way, sending shivers down her own body.

"No chance." Another brief fit of cheeky giggles. "Besides, Sophie's home."

"And if she weren't?" Ben challenged.

"The answer would still be no. I'm not wasting good lingerie over a video chat."

"You could just continue the conversation in the nude. I wouldn't mind." A wicked grin and those sultry begging eyes.

"I bet you wouldn't," she blushed.

"Fine. Think it over," the man sighed with mock disappointment while sitting up.

"About that time?" Her smile faded only a little but he still noticed.

"Afraid so. Fans to please and a helpful relationship to keep with a Los Angeles DJ."

"Alright. No flirting," she ordered with blissful amusement.

"Only with you."

"Keep your hands to yourself Sunday night, yeah? And good luck, Ben. Crossing my fingers and toes for you."

"No need. Long as I have you, I have everything I need," he happily mused.

"Flatterer. Talk to you after your big night. Love you."

"Love you… Mrs. Cumberbatch."

Monday Afternoon (LA)/ Night (Sussex)

He was sitting in front of a Hollywood desk, talking about his next big film, when he got the call. He glanced down at the mobile screen then went pale. James's name could only mean one thing and one thing alone.

"Makenzie," he whispered in shock.

"Pardon?" the man on the other side of the desk asked in mid sentence.

"I'm sorry. Have to take this," Benedict stuttered as a chill ran through his veins. "Just one minutes. I apologize." The moment he was out of the office he had the phone to his ear. "How is she?"

"She was a bit off last night but…Remember the other night?"

"Yes, of course."

"It's worse than that. She's passed out two times already, my boy. Get home soon as you can."

The pacing actor covered his face with a shaky hand, fingers frantically sliding to the bridge of his nose. This was the call he'd been waiting for. Today of all days. Hell!

"I'm in meetings all day. Scheduled everything for today and tomorrow so I could be in England as much as possible the rest of this month."

"Do what you need to, Benedict. Just wanted you to know what was going on."

"Are we losing her?"

There was a pause after the wretched question.

"Until they tell us otherwise, we're always losing her." Another dark silence. "She may pull out of this one. She's surprised us so far. She's a fighter, our girl."

"Someone's waiting for me. Keep me posted. I can always look at a text."

"Alright. Call when you can. All three of us are watching her."

"Give her a kiss for me, James. Tell her I'm catching the first flight to London Tuesday night, early Wednesday for her."

"Talk to you soon, Ben."

His thumb nearly missed the end call button. The building seemed to be shaking yet nothing was moving and all was still. He paced a few more times around the hall without noticing his walking pattern. Suddenly, he couldn't remember which meeting he was at. Suddenly, it didn't matter, none of it.

"Damn it!" he hissed, his head falling against the nearest wall.

---

Soft colors fading in and out. Shapes, sharp then blurry again.

"He needs to be here."

"He has this little thing called the Golden Globe awards. Ever hear of them?"

"She's awake again," Sophie's soft voice carried into the room, as if she was standing at the door.

"Lovely," Gran replied, quite relieved.

"Eyes open?" her father asked too quickly.

"No…Yes."

Makenzie's first sight was her family of three rushing to her side. All three were obviously worried, not one smile. How long had it been? The last thing she remembered was another fever, some shakes, and then a good vomit.

"Any better, my girl?" her father asked, eyes hopeful and mouth attempting to not be a straight line.

"I don't…Bin! I need a bin!"

---

"Hello?" Ben answered. If it was nine in New York, it was two in the morning her time. He did the math in seconds.

"We're taking her to hospital," Sophie announced in a quivering small voice.

"What's she doing?"

"She's gone out again. Fourth time. We don't want to take any more chances. If they could stabilize her, they'll be doing more than we can here," she quickly explained.

"How's James and Gran?"

"He's not showing it but he's just as terrified as she is. She's almost mad with worry- typical Gran."

"That's what I figured. Alright." Could he reschedule anything? Would his last two appointments work with him and agree to meet sometime later in the month? Would the hospital stabilize her before he even got to her? He thought a string of curses before replying, "Sophie, I can't get to her in time. I can't leave until tomorrow afternoon at the latest, early Wednesday your time."

"Can't you argue or persuade them? You're bloody Benedict Cumberbatch! If they want you they'll-"

"It doesn't always work like that. They have other clients and meetings. If I don't meet with these specific people tomorrow, I'll lose my chances at work. You know why I can't do that." He was fighting tears now.

"Yeah." A thoughtful pause. "I understand."

"Take care of them for me."

"I can't," she finally cried, softly as if not wanting anyone to hear. "I'm about to break, Ben. I'm scared. She doesn't look good and they are more worried than ever. And-"

"Be strong for her then. Let James and Gran see you but, whatever you do, keep her spirits up. Can you do that for me?" No answer. "Soph?"

"I'll try. I'll do my very best. Just get here as soon as you can, Ben. She needs you."

"As I do her. So keep her going. Whatever it takes," he begged. "Text me later. When she gets settled in."

"Absolutely. Later."

Wednesday morning (LA)

Ben didn't rest well that night. Nightmares kept haunting him of the life that would be his if he lost her. Rather, what would be left of his life. She had been his life for months and he didn't want to imagine what he would be without her. Glimpses of that life he saw from dreaming forced him awake in cold sweats every few hours. It was no wonder that he was groggy the next day.

The endless meetings resulted in attention loss like he had never known. He had always been able to stay focused when it came to work. But his mind was across the ocean and his stomach turned each time he imagined the last time he found her after one of her episodes- and James said this one was worse. They were getting worse each time, a fact he couldn't accept. She needed to be getting better.

His phone buzzed in the middle of his last meeting. Without a second thought, or worrying if he'd offend anyone, he stole a peek. Sophie.

-Stabilized but still not well. She's saying your name in her sleep. Doctor said she'd be fine after some rest. Still, hurry!

---

Warm lips on her forehead. Him. It had to be.

Her eyes opened as quickly as she could manage. Seeing him in arm's reach alone made her feel a fraction better.

"It's about bloody time," her weak voice teased with the smallest genuine smile he had ever seen.

"I'm sorry, my girl. I'm so very sorry," he managed without his own voice cracking, a surprise even to him.

"Never apologize. Do you understand?" his girl scolded with sweet eyes.

"But I should have been there for you."

"I wanted you to come home to me in that little number I bought," she frowned, things not working out the way she wanted. Stupid cancer, she thought cynically.

"Don't worry about that. I'm just thrilled to be with you again."

"Did you have a good time? I heard about your dancing," Kenzie changed the subject, forcing the good memory to the front of his mind.

He had been dancing the night before she could have died. If only he had known.

"I'm only leaving the country if absolutely necessary. From now until you are better." It was a promise, not simply words.

"Don't you dare. You go on with your life. Your career doesn't end because your fiancé is sick."

"Or maybe it should."

"Keep making that money. You'll need it when the kids come," she tried to smile again.

She said the words but he could see it written all over her face, in her lying tone, and by her body language. Makenzie didn't expect to live long enough to see those happy days.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys... I just love your comments so much. Yes, things are getting worse. Only a few cute moments left before the end of the story. But how will it end up? Will the last bit be full of tears? joy? smiles? laughter? All of the above? Wait and see!