Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

044:

Chapter Forty Four
"You wanted to see me, Coach?" I asked as I knocked on the door and saw Coach on the phone with someone, "Sorry."

He quickly finished up and then ushered me to come into the office and sit down, "Alyssa, sorry had to take that."

"It's all right, what's this about?"

"I would like to know what happened yesterday?" he asked and I stiffened and looked towards the ground and started to tap my lap, suddenly feeling nervous.

"Um, well, I don't know if you're aware, but I'm friends with a lot of the Bruins," I said and looked at Coach.

"You don't play like it," he stated and I smirked.

"I put everything aside when I'm on that ice," I said and he nodded my head.

"Why did Lucic have Green in a headlock?"

"Because Green," I sighed and then shook my head, "Green kissed me in front of him- I know this is like high school drama shit, but-"

"Why would Lucic care?"

"Because we're dating," I said and Coach leaned back in his chair, "But that doesn't change how I play, you just said it yourself!"

"You're right, this is high school drama shit," he said and then sighed, "Brace, this is an NHL team, we're all adults here."

"I understand that sir- but Ovechkin was telling me that I needed to break up with Lucic or I'd be scratched- I didn't understand why because my game obviously hasn't changed for the worse-"

"First off, we've never had this situation before since you're the only woman in the league," Coach sighed and then ran his fingers through his hair, "I don't like drama on my team, Brace!" he said and I nodded my head, "I won't stand for it, I'm sorry, but everyone needs to cool down here."

"What do you mean, sir?" I asked and Coach dug through his desk and pulled out a paper and started to fill things out.

"You're to be in Hershey on Tuesday, I'm sure you'll remember the names of your teammates, the team will set you up in a hotel and then-"

"You're sending me away for something I didn't do! Something that isn't my fault-"

"This isn't punishment, Brace-"

"Really? Because it sure feels like it," I growled and Coach sighed and shook his head.

"Your team is waiting for you," Coach said and then handed me the paper that read what was happening and I sighed and stomped out of his office.

It was after morning skate, we had a home game against the Maple Leafs tonight, guess I wasn't going to be playing that game. I walked into the locker room to grab some of my stuff, not talking to the few guys that were in there. Nick asked me what was wrong, but I ignored him, gave one last glare towards Ovechkin and Green and then walked out of the room, forcing the lump in my throat to stay down.

I got into my car and drove home, looking at the clock to see that it was almost eleven in the morning, I knew that the guys had an away game against Pittsburgh at twelve thirty, but I didn't know if Milan was going to answer his phone.

I pulled into my driveway and looked to see that there was another car in my driveway, I got out and headed inside to see that there was a girl sitting on my couch, "Uh, hello?"

"Oh, hi! Sorry, I'm Shannon-"

"AJ! You're home early, what's up? Oh this is my friend from school," Rebecca said and I gave her a small smile.

"Can I talk to you? I'm sorry Shannon, but can you come back like later today, I really need to talk to my sister," I said and I guess she heard the sadness in my voice and nodded her head.

"I'll talk to you later Becca," she said and walked towards the door.

"Yeah sure," the girl was gone, "What the hell AJ?"

"I'm being brought down," I said, not looking at my sister.

"What?" she asked shocked, "Is this because of-"

"Yeah."

"Why are you being punished?"

"For causing the drama," I said and then looked at my sister to see her shocked face.

"I'm so sorry, Alyssa," she said and then hugged me tight.

"You can stay here, I'll keep the house up," I said and she just nodded her head, "I need to pack."

"Did you call the guys?" she asked and I shook my head, "You should really call Milan."

"I guess," I said as I walked through the kitchen and towards the back door, walking out onto the porch and seeing Duke digging in the backyard, "Duke!"

He perked his head up and ran over towards me, I sat on the step and pulled out my phone. Duke sat in-between my legs and laid his head on my knee and I dialed Milan's number while petting Duke's head. I called Milan but it went to voicemail, he had his phone off. I sighed and then decided to call Brad because he usually had it on.

"AJ, what's up? How are you feeling?" Brad asked and I sighed.

"Is Milan there?" I asked and Brad paused probably looking.

"Uh, yeah, here he is. Everything all right?"

-Milan-
I had just finished with an interview and I saw that Brad was sitting on the bench across the room on his phone. He looked up and pointed towards me and then turned back to his phone. I was confused but stood up and walked over towards him.

"Uh, yeah, here he is. Everything all right?" he asked and I looked at him confused, "It's Red."

'...Alyssa?...' I thought and then took the phone, "Hey babe, what's up?"

"I've been dropped," she said no louder than a whisper.

"Wait what?" I asked surprised and then sat on the bench.

"Because of yesterday," she said and I growled and clenched my fists, "I'm due in Hershey on Tuesday, Becca and I are packing my stuff later."

"Alyssa, I'm so sorry," I said, not knowing what else to say, the guys were looking at me, I was angry, they had no right to do this, "You know if I could get away I would."

"I know," she said and it broke my heart on how upset she was. Coach came into the room and I sighed because that meant that I would have to hang up with Alyssa, "I'll let you go."

"I'll call you after the game," I said and looked towards the ground and bit my lip.

"All right, good luck."

"Thanks," I said and then choked back saying the three little words that I desperately want to say but too afraid. I growled when I hung up the phone and glared at the ground.

"What's going on, Looch?" Brad asked as he took his phone back.

My conversation with Alyssa had gotten the attention of most of my teammates, "Because of what happened yesterday, Alyssa's been brought down."

"Wait, she's not a Cap anymore?" Tuukka asked and I shook my head.

"She's back in the AHL," I said and the guys sighed, '...Fuck, it's all my fault. If I didn't go after Green and start that fight with him, none of this would be happening...' I rubbed my face and sighed, this was going to be tough for her, '...We can still trade for her...'

"As long as she takes the deal, she'll be with us next season," Chara said and I nodded my head, "She won't have much time on the Bears, it'll be all right."

"I need to see her," I said and Coach sighed, surprisingly quiet throughout this whole thing, "Coach."

"Lucic, your job is to be here, playing-"

"I just need one game," I said and Coach growled but pulled out his phone.

"Milan Lucic, you've just been scratched from Saturday's home game against the Flyers," Coach said and I nodded my head and then breathed a sigh of relief. Today was Sunday, we had a game Tuesday and Thursday, I decided to leave Friday and make sure that I was back for our home game on Monday.

'...I'm coming Alyssa...'