Status: Welcome to Heaven

A Little Piece of Heaven

Eleven

Matt's eyes opened to a bright room. He was lying on a metal table, and an excruciating pain throbbed through out his body. He slowly sat himself, examining the empty room.

"Hello?" His voice echoed between the four walls. When there was silence, he could've sworn there were footsteps to the left of him. He repeated himself, without any luck of receiving a reply. He decided to try to stand up, but he fell back down. He was in too much pain to move the slightest.

"Matt," came a voice. He looked around the room, disappointed the voice's owner didn't show his or her face. "Matt," the voice rang again.


"Matt," Alex shook his arm slightly, tears falling from her eyes. "Wake up." She pleaded as she looked down at him. She examined every cut, every bruise, and wished he would wake up. "Matt."

She gave him a few seconds, but he didn't budge. She sat down on the chair across from the bed and sighed. She watched him, though, because she knew he'd wake up. She just didn't know when. She didn't want to wait, though. She stood up again, this time coming to his side to hold his hand because maybe that would help if he felt her.

"Matt," she said lightly in his ear because she only wanted him to hear her. She wanted him to wake up and to come back to her. "Matt."

Finally, his eyes fluttered open. She smiled with relief, squeezing his hand. He looked to her, and smiled.

"Babe," he said. His voice was raspy, and he sounded to be in pain. But at that moment, the couple shared one of their happiest moments because he was okay, and she was there with him. His lips formed a smile and Alex leaned down to connect their lips. She began to cry and rested her head upon his chest. His fingers mindlessly ran through her hair. "It's okay. I'm so sorry, baby, I'm so sorry." He repeated himself in which she repeatedly replied with, "It's okay." And it was okay, because he hadn't left her; he was still here.

Image

"Alex!" Brian's eyes widened with excitement when he saw the girl sitting on the edge of the hospital bed holding Matt's hand. She smiled, allowing the boys to hug her as they entered the room.

"I just wanna say," Jimmy started with a sympathetic look, "I'm sorry I let him drink. I knew something bad was gonna happen-"

Alex stood up, shushing him. "It's okay, Rev. It's not your fault." She gave him hug because she knew he was the one who gave the doctor her number so she'd be here.

"How is he?"

Matt laughed as Alex made her way back to her spot on the bed. "I'm fine! Just a couple bruises here, a cut or two there, a broken arm-"

"-A worried fiancee," Alex chimed in.

"Yeah, that too." Matt said as Jimmy shook his head, leaning against the wall. They all sat in a comfortable silence as they looked up to the television hanging from the wall. It was the news channel, reporting about the famous musician's accident.

"And in celebrity news, Matt Sanders of Avenged Sevenfold was a tragic car accident last night on West Wilmer Drive. He and another drive had a head-on collision. Police reports state that both drivers were intoxicated and neither were dead. Matt is currently in the hospital, and the other driver is fine with minor injuries. We'll update you more on Matt's recovery on the website. Back to you, Chad."

The silence in the room fell from comfortable to worried. Alex looked at Matt, who had the look of shame on his face.

"Baby, I know. Okay?" Matt started before she could begin yelling at him for driving while intoxicated. "It was stupid, but I was drinking-"

"You could've died." She placed her hands on the growing baby bump beneath her shirt. "These two babies, the people in this room, they need you. You're not just some rock star to us; you're our Matt." Matt sighed, knowing that this was going to be said either way. "Don't do that, okay? I drove here at two-thirty in the morning, from New York to Chicago for you. Don't piss me off with your attitude."

"You don't have to scold me, Alex."

"I'm not scolding you, I'm telling you the truth. Since when was that a crime?"

"Since when did you become my mother. I'm okay!"

"Obviously not because you're in a hospital bed because you were stupid enough to go out drinking and driving."

"You want me to quit? Huh? You want me to throw everything away so I can stay home with you? So I can watch you get bigger-" Alex's eyes grew wide and Matt didn't realize what he had said until the four boys around them gasped. Alex stood up from the bed, trying to fight her tears. Matt sat up, grabbing her hand and kicking himself when she pulled away. "Baby-"

"No," she said. She shook her head and began to waddle out of the room toward the cafeteria.

The room fell silent until Brian chimed with an, "Awkward."

Jimmy smacked him across the back of the head. "Shut up, Brian."