My Beloved Victim

Chapter 6

She sat alone staring out of the rain covered glass, down on to the streets below, bustling with people, she hadn't left the apartment in what felt like an eternity, not even for a kill, her blood lust was driving her to the brink of insanity, but as Sylar liked to remind her she was his and he controlled her.

She took a long pull from the cigarette between her fingers and the same haunting thought slipped through her thoughts like a thin veil of smoke, clouding her otherwise sensible judgement of many situations.

"I could throw myself from this window no-one would ever notice, I haven't seen a single missing poster so no-one's missing me, I could fall and hit the ground and escape all the pain and torment"

She loved Sylar, but despised him simultaneously, he often blew hot and cold wither her, she was his princess one moment and his punching bag the next, her mentality shattered she saw only one way out, she used the back of one hand to wipe away the stray tears and the other hand was placed defensively on her swollen stomach she flicked her cigarette butt out of the window and turned slowly.
Her feet met the cold wooden floor and she took small steps across the empty apartment, tears distorting her vision, her hand still protecting her stomach, she couldn't bring a child in to this world, she had seen first hand how quickly families could be shattered, often she had been the one doing the breaking, she couldn't bare the thought of her child looking at her with shame and disappointment in their eyes when they found out, mummy and daddy where serial killers.

She felt as though she would be doing the child a favor by taking them away from this world before they had a chance to live in it, she picked up a scrap of paper and a near by biro and began to write,

"Sylar,

When tomorrow starts with out me, carry on.

I love you

Rayne"

She walked in to the kitchen picking up the glass bottle from the sideboard, she pulled out the several blister packs of various pills she had picked up over the past few weeks, slid down the cabinet and sat on the cold hard floor, popping the pills from their foil wrappers and placing them in a row in front of her, she unscrewed the bottle, her tears now falling thick and fast splashing on to her lacerated legs making the self inflicted wounds burn and itch, she was past the point of caring she wanted to leave this life. She stroked her expanding stomach lovingly and whispered,

"I'll see you on the other side little one, daddy loves you"

He liked living on the top floor it meant privacy and a lot of space, he rarely had to deal with interfering nosy neighbors wanting him to loan them things and he relished the solitude, what he didn't like was the stairs, the several winding staircases that often had a stagnant odor dancing through them, he hated having to pass people in the hall ways, normally old people or drunken students. As his front door came in to view he could nearly taste the privacy, he could handle sharing his solitude with Rayne, she was useful and was still his experiment.

He placed the two large bags of groceries by his feet and pushed the door open, it creaked loudly, he walked in to a deafening silence, she normally poked her head round the door and greeted him with a hug, like a puppy awaiting her masters arrival she was always there. He furrowed his brow and called out to her taking a few small steps forward, he became increasingly agitated by her games, feeling that she was hiding he called out to her once more louder and angrier this time, as he walked through the hallway passing the kitchen door way it caught his eye.

she was there slumped in the corner the bottle still in hand, blindly clawing at the floor searching for more pills to shove down her own throat. His world came to a screaming halt and seemingly froze around him as he looked at her shocked sadness and panic sending his mind over the edge, acting on impulse he slumped next to her, trying to sit her up straight and gain a response from her limp body, her eyes where misted over and she was unable to speak a coherent sentence.

He lifted her in to his arms setting her down on his lap, his heart ached as he spoke soft words to her willing her to be alive, he brought her back once before he could do it again. He looked around the room waiting for a bright idea to dawn on him when out of no where it struck.

He flipped her on to her front and prized her jaw open, retching as he slid a single finger towards the back of her throat, she began to flinch violently as her stomach convulsed trying to rid itself of the poisons she had allowed in to it, it hurt him to see her in this way, he struggled to make her vomit, his heart rate dropping as a crippling dread and sadness took hold of his body. He needed her he had become so accustomed to her being there to calm him down and soothe him when he was irate he had grown used to the way she hummed whilst she cooked and the way she sat curling her hair around her fingers when she was in a dream like state, he enjoyed watching her walk across the room gracefully. As tears began to slip from his eyes and dance down his cheeks he realized it best to let her go.

He lay her body on the floor in front of him and softly locked his fingers between hers, watching as her chest would slowly rise and fall, he felt his heartbreak as she looked at him almost at peace with her fate, he kept his eyes open and head clear watching her as she slipped away, he watched as her chest stopped moving her body no longer in need of oxygen.

a deafening heavy silence moved through the apartment, he put his head back the tears now falling thick and fast, he glanced at her body once more reaching out and softly closing her eyelids, he lifted her in to his arms and carried her through to the living room, placing her limp, still warm body on to the sofa, he kissed her forehead and lay a sheet over her, covering her beautiful face.

As dark began to fall Sylar was still sitting on the floor in the kitchen, slowly inhaling from the cigarette in his hand, he stubbed it out in the small silver ash tray next to him before pulling his arms and legs close to his chest. As grief haunted his every move he found himself unable to shed anymore tears, his body was achy and heavy, his mouth dry and eyes tired, He swigged from the tall vodka bottle next to him, taking little comfort from the radiating heat the clear liquid caused in his throat and stomach. a comfortable intoxication swept over his aching body as he rose from the dirty floor. He began to feel heavy, he glanced over at her body laying peacefully, resting on the sofa, tears pricked his already swollen eyes as a heat began to build up behind them the pressure forcing the tears out, he stumbled through to the bedroom, looking around the room, her make up, her clothes, he walked through blocking them out and climbing in to the bed.

It felt huge as he lay there, alone and wide awake, he begged for sleep to come to him with no avail. He pulled the blankets around him and her pillow in to his arms, squeezing gently as if it where her, her scent still on it providing little comfort as he inhaled. Sleep swept across his body enveloping him in safety.

He awoke to the usual sounds of the city, cars rushing past people doing just the same and vendors selling their wares in loud bellowing voices, for a few seconds as his eyes adjusted to the room he forgot about the events of the night before, rolling over and reaching out for her crippled him the the tight grip of bereavement.

He lifted him self slowly from the bed and walked through to the kitchen, tidying away the ash tray and empty bottle as he went, his head hurt a lot, a dull ache that demanded he pay attention to it, he flicked the switch of the kettle and spooned several spoonfuls of instant coffee in to a mug.

He took a mouthful from the steaming mug the bitterness making him wince, the emptiness was still consuming him, he turned away from the sink to face in to the front room as his mind had been begging him to do since he had woken up.

He took a deep breath and steadied himself before turning slowly on his heels he looked up slowly only for sadness to be replaced by shock and confusion, his heart raced and he head span, he walked forwards charging in to the living room, to see that only the sheet remained where she once was.