Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Princess Regent

Lord Kenrick became my saving grace. After we spoke, he kept the tent quiet and free of many servants and maids who were determined to come in. At first, they seemed nearly endless, but after his gentle rebuffs, they stopped trying to gain entrance into my tent. It allowed me to rest comfortably and quietly, softly shifting in and out of sleep in my furred bed.

Eventually the healers and mages found their way inside, and I once again suffered under their treatment of my trauma. The healers insisted I was too weak for travel as the mages claimed that poisons were planted in my mind. The mages burned herbs that stung my eyes, and the healers once again lifted the blackened liquid vile to my lips. How I had wished they would have run dry of this horrid drink! This time I struggled, begging and insisting I did not need it for it confused me so. They insisted and argued how that was the very reason I did require it. Once again, I attempted to protect myself from its tortures, even putting my hands against the wrist of the healer who wished to force me to drink under command of the king. I felt overwhelmed and tired, weepy for all I wished was to have Taggart back at my side. But it was Lord Kenrick's hand that reached out instead, “Have you not heard your Princess? She is refusing your tonics, and for good reason. Do you not see how they make her sicker??” The healer attempted to argue reasons against Lord Kenrick, but he squeezed the man's wrist tighter. “The Princess refuses you,” He said more forcefully this time. The healer snatched away his arm and stood up, “I will speak with the King and let him know you are refusing his daughter's treatment.” Lord Kenrick nodded and rested his hand on his sword, “Indeed you should. Then I will speak with my King and let him know his daughter's wishes were to remain clear minded and free of your twisted tonics. I am here under command of my Princess, my King's daughter. I speak only for her well being and nothing less.” The healers left first, and then Lord Kenrick worked on the mages, finding ways to make them leave as well before he stamped out their putrid herbs. I gazed up at him from my bed, “Thank you my Lord Kenrick. You bring me great peace.” He smiled back and nodded to me.

My father himself did come to address the issue and Lord Kenrick spoke with him in hushed tones at the entrance before he came to my bedside. “My beautiful daughter, how are you feeling?” I smiled back at my father sadly, “I am better under Lord Kenrick's care.” My father nodded in his regal way, “Indeed, so I have heard. It seems you are good at distracting one of my newest Strategy Captains. But perhaps you have more need of him.” I searched my father's eyes as he seemed to know what I might ask before I did. “Father, I beg that you return him to my charge. I find peace under his protection and he knows my mind well.” My father laughed, “No simple man can claim that my daughter. Perhaps I will grant this to you, if you will consider an offer of my own as well. No more of this punishment...and no more of this suffering that you inflict on yourself. It would be my wish that you would return to the castle, and fully claim your crown once again. Return to court as my rightful Princess Regent. I have heard of your deeds in your absence from the castle, the wit and charm that you possess seems to have only grown. I would like to pass the running of the castle, the court and affairs of the city into your hands. I am growing old, and do not have a vigor for it as I did before. Your brothers are all Princes of the Battlefield, capable of politics and treaties, but have no mind for the castle and its people. It seems this is where your talents lie and I have been a fool to not see this sooner.” I was about to speak, when my father raised his hand, “Let me finish daughter...the last part of my offer is this. It is my wish that you would be open to suitors, but suitors of your choosing. I will not force any marriage onto your shoulders. You have bore enough for this Kingdom and I will not see you be crushed under the weight of it again.” They were words I had never thought would come from my father.

There was only one thought that haunted me, “But what of Nicolito....what of his new wife?” My father shook his head, “What is done is done...Nicolous took this position willingly.” I interrupted him now, “But for the Kingdom, for me!” My father padded my hand, “Perhaps, but willingly nonetheless.” It was clear my father's pity and change of heart did not extend to my most beloved brother. It would have been such a happier homecoming if my Nicolito was waiting for me. My father continued, “Now tell me you accept and I will institute Lord Kenrick as your Lord Privy Councillor in all matters that fall under your control. I will leave it to him to arrange for your own personal royal guard.” My eyes quickly flashed to Lord Kenrick, and I saw him looking back at me with such wide shock. “My Lord Kenrick, would this be a wish of yours? Speak honestly.” I asked him softly. He walked over and immediately dropped to one knee at my bedside, his head hanging humbly. “I am not worthy of such an title, my Princess. You honour me more then I deserve.” I reached out my hand to him, “Do you accept this? Or must I do this without your careful watch?” He reached out and took my hand warmly in his own, kissing the back of it, “I accept my Princess, I accept this great honour to my house.” My father smiled pleased and stood up, adjusting his robes, “It is done then...as soon as we are returned to the castle, see that you have the Princess's crest added to your sash, Lord Privy Councillor.” Lord Kenrick stood and bowed low before my father, “My King honours my family with such a place in his court.” My father nodded absentmindedly, “See my daughter is well tended...and perhaps urge her to take on a worthy suitor? If not for your King, but for an aging father.” He winked at Lord Kenrick before leaving the tent.

Lord Kenrick looked back at me, once again dropping to his knee, “As I once promised my childhood friend and my Prince, I swear to protect you and keep you safe until my final breath. I will not fail you Princess Jane.” I smiled at him tenderly, “I know Nicolous believed you then and I certainly believe you now. I am glad that when I return to the lion's den, that you will be there at my side helping me, guiding me. This is a great thing my father asks of me, Lord Kenrick. I am not fully welcome in my father's court and there are many who would wish I be sent away to a nunnery or as a peace offering to my father's enemies. They see me unworthy of his crown and continued love. While there is strength inside my heart, it is a timid strength and only seems to be coaxed out when in fear for those I care about most. I wish my strength was more stable and more secure. It is my hope that you will help me with this, give me the feeling of safety so that I may grow and do right in my father's eyes once again.” He took my hand again gently, kissing the back of it. “I will do all in my power to serve you faithfully and honourably my Princess. As I did on the battlefield, I will now do at your side. I will ensure that you are given the respect you deserve and see that you are always protected.” I smiled at him softly, as he always seemed to bring such happiness and goodness into my life.

While my heart was glad to see my father welcome me back to court in this way, I felt certain I would not disappoint him with Lord Kenrick at my side. Such a great homecoming...to once again be treasured in the eyes of my father. Yet this time I am more confident in my abilities then ever before. “Lord Kenrick, as my Privy Councillor, there is a job I entrust to you right away. There was a woman who worked in the manor house for Prince Alaric. Her name was Madge, she was the hunter's wife. She was good to me when in Alaric's care. Will you bring her to me?” Lord Kenrick nodded, “I know of this woman. I will have her brought to you right away.” He was quick to speak to a small group of knights before I saw them head off immediately on horseback. I rested my head back as Lord Kenrick stood guard in my doorway.

Perhaps this was a new time, a new dawn to a new day. Might my sacrifices be enough that goodness would return again? My heart could wait for the remaining pieces...how it could wait ages for Taggart to return once again! It could watch and wait for Nicolito to return home and finally be reunited with me! I would mourn Lord Gannon and all his goodness, honour his grave and his memory by serving the people as he once did. See more honour brought to his family's name while I brought pride to my father's eyes. Yes, this could be a new dawn! I could only hope in the end all I might do would be enough to erase the dark stains from my soul. I could only hope...