Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Small Comforts

It was late afternoon before I heard horses outside my tent. Without the healer's tonics, I felt stronger today. Rest came easier, and my body was slowly healing from the abuse it suffered under Prince Alaric. Lord Kenrick attending to the issues outside before walking back in with Madge behind him. “My Princess, is this your Lady?” I smiled happily, “Yes yes....please bring her in!” I replied, sitting up even more in my bed. Madge nodded to Lord Kenrick before walking over and sitting at my bedside, “Dear child, I am glad to see you are safe once again. You look rested.” She said putting her hands in her lap. “I am happy to see that my prayers for you have been answered, but child, why have you brought me here?” I blinked back at her, “I wanted to thank you. I wanted to thank you for all your kindness to me.” She laughed, “Kindness? Forcing the King's daughter to work in the kitchens and teaching her to scrub floors. I hardly think that would be worthy of the king's admiration.” I shook my head, “No good Lady. You took care of me, helped me in any of the ways you could. Tended to my mind and my spirit. You gave me hope.” She nodded calmly, “Then I am glad.” I smiled at her, “I will never forget all that you have done for me.” Madge laughed, “And I will never forget the terrible sight of you in my kitchen. Like a lost kitten you were! Dirty and tiny with such big eyes. But I can see that you are stronger already.”

I smiled and nodded to her wisdom. “I am, and now that I am in a position to repay your kindness, I will.” Madge immediately shook her head, “No...no I will not hear of it!” She quickly stood up. But I continued, “My Lady please...I wish to repay your kindness. My father returns me back to his castle and it would be my wish that you would accompany me. I will see that you are comfortable and happy in the castle. That you want for nothing more in your life.” Madge sadly shook her head, “No child. I must refuse. I was born on this manor and it is the only home I know. My husband has hunted these woods since he was old enough to carry a bow. We know nothing of castles and finery. I am a simple woman child....I cook and make stews and breads. I am not a woman for court.” While I understood her refusal, it did not sit right in my chest. “Please let me give back to you the kindness you gave to me.” Madge smiled as a mother does to her child, “Dear girl, seeing you safe and well is all I need. I am a simple woman...I am not like you.” She finally sat back down, gently rubbed my head. “Now let me braid this hair properly, and perhaps we can share one last meal together before I send you off to your proper home. That would give me great happiness.” I smiled at her sadly, and agreed.

As Madge started to brush my hair, Lord Kenrick spoke carefully over the fire. “Good Lady, as my Princess's Privy Councillor it is my duty and within my power to see my Princess's wishes carried out. You deserve to know the gratitude of the King. But he would never ask more of you then you are willing. Stay in your home and on your lands. They now belong to you. I will see that regular deliveries are made to your home of supplies from the castle markets. You can take whatever you wish for yourself, and give the rest to others in your care. Perhaps it is time for these lands to be overseen by someone who is worthy of them. It seems to me that you and your husband are most certainly worthy.” Madge narrowed her eyes at him, “Boy, do not tease a old woman!” Lord Kenrick just smiled, “It is Privy Councillor, good Lady. And I never joke. The land is now yours. I will see the royal scribes correct the maps and give you title over these lands.” I was so happy I could cry as Lord Kenrick found a way to make my desires realized and Madge rewarded for all her goodness. Madge was quiet as she continued to braid my hair as is her way. Finally she spoke, “Do not think I will be called Lady. I won't have it.” Lord Kenrick chuckled, “As you wish.”

Lord Kenrick's solution brought me such happiness. Madge chatted with me about the change of the seasons over our meal of venison stew and potatoes. She was a good and simple woman, happy with her husband and her life here. I knew her days would always be easier, and perhaps she could garden for flowers instead of just potatoes and turnips now. Madge fussed over my eating, and was glad when I took a second bowl of stew. I insisted that Lord Kenrick's men return her with a horse full of supplies. But before she left, I hugged her tightly. “May I write you dearest Madge? And perhaps come to visit?” I asked. Madge laughed, “You can visit me anytime you wish, you are the Princess! But child, I cannot read.” Lord Kenrick replied, “Then I will ensure that there is a servant that will be able to read you the Princess's letters and write one back if you prefer.” Madge smiled at him, “It seems your Lord is a man who prepares for all situations.” Lord Kenrick smiled back at her before she turned to me, “Good night child, I will keep you in my prayers.” Madge kissed my forehead softly before heading off with Lord Kenrick's knights.

That night I slept peacefully, and I felt as my heart might slowly begin to repair from the losses and suffering during my time on these lands. The following morning I awoke to the royal camp preparing to leave. Lord Kenrick attended to all my needs and insisted my tent was the last item packed for travel. He even carried me to the carriage, settling me down gently. “There are coals warming the carriage in the corner, and plenty of furs in here to keep you warm. I will be riding along side. If you need me, simply open the window and call for me.” I blinked up at him as he covered me with a wool blanket, “Will you not ride inside with me?” He smiled back, “I am better able to protect you from outside. I still do not trust that Alaric's men are all scattered. I feel there might be a reason that Taggart did not return to camp. I would like to be ready for any possibilities.” I curled my hand around his tunic, “But you are not my Knight anymore. You are my Privy Councillor. I do not wish to ride alone.” Lord Kenrick smiled back, “In my mind, I am a knight first my Princess and I can still wield a sword. I will check on you regularly, Please try and rest some more before our return. Do you want me to choose a servant to ride with you?” I shook my head, “No, no it is fine. But if the weather turns, promise me you will come inside the carriage.” Lord Kenrick relented, “Very well, I promise.” He checked the coals, and had a maid leave me a basket of breads and cheese to eat as we traveled. It would be over 4 days before we safely arrived back at the royal castle with this many people traveling together.

It was not long after, that I felt my carriage shift and slowly begin to move. I peeked out the window, and saw a long line of knights ahead of me, and an even longer line of men and wagons behind me. It did not escape my attention that the wagon directly behind me was carrying silent bodies wrapped in white. Laying on a bed of straw, herbs and flowers, I could see the dark gray metal of swords resting atop the chest of each man, with bandaged hands still around the hilts. I was sure that one of those treasured bodies was my brave Gannon. It felt like a funeral procession and part of me wished that he was riding in my carriage, talking and laughing as we did at Woolsey's camp. It saddened me, but at least he was coming home and I could honour his grave each day. I rested my head back, and kept Lord Kenrick in my eyeline. He was nervous, his eyes sweeping back and forth in vigilant watch. A few times he would catch my eyes and smile softly. I drifted off and did not awake again until my carriage slowed and the armies camped for the night. My tent was one of the first erected and Kenrick carried me inside. His skin was chilled and tight from a long day on horseback. “My Lord, please...please stay inside the tent with me. You are so cold.” Kenrick smiled briefly, “I will return my Princess, but I must see to one more arrangement.” He kept his word and did return quickly, tending to all the arrangements of making me comfortable for the night. After I had eaten and warmed myself with a mug of wine, I felt my eyes growing tired. Lord Kenrick walked over to my side, “My Princess...before you drift to sleep, there was something I wanted to give you.” I lifted my head up to him, “My Lord?” He knelt down at the fire, and offered out his hand before slowly opening his fingers. Inside was one of the royal medallions my brother Nicolous gave to all my secret protectors. Slowly I reached for it, and he explained, “It was Gannon's...I felt you should have it.” My fingers gently took the chain and studied each and every detail of this special gift that once hung from Gannon's neck. “Thank you Kenrick...I miss him...so much ” I whispered, feeling tears growing in my eyes. Lord Kenrick nodded, “As do I Princess....” I slipped the necklace around my neck before I curled up for the night. That night I dreamt of Gannon, he was ghostly and drifting through a fog. I would see his smile and would reach for him but not before he faded away again only to reappear somewhere else. It felt as if his essence was in the very air, surrounding me on all sides. But like the air, it was intangible and not within my power to grasp. It comforted me yet made me miss him more at the same time. When I awoke early in the morning, I was still saddened by my busy sleep. Yet I was determined to feel comfort in the fact that Gannon would always be closely held in the memories I carry for him. A tiny comfort but I clung to it nonetheless.