Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Prisoner Alaric

The ever faithful Lord Kenrick has been unwavering at my side. Each day brings endless papers and reports, each week brings different issues and problems to be solved. Each minute Lord Kenrick serves me without fail. He has not spoken of our private conversation since that night, nor will he admit to any personal troubles among his family. But I know something has shifted, as Lord Kenrick has moved from his family's hallway, into a private chamber in my section of the castle. When he requested it, Lord Kenrick stated it would aid him and assist with improving at his position. While I have never stated he is anything but the most impressive as Lord Privy Councillor, I knew there was something else. However I did not press him for the real reason why. I must admit that selfishly, I like having him ever nearer to me. A mere shout or disruption in the hallways would have Lord Kenrick immediately at my side. He is still one of the first faces I see each morning and one of the last each night. He bears all burdens of this position without fail or complaint, and yet I wish there was a way I could ease any of his troubles if he would only let me.

It was in the dimming light of the afternoon, as I was working through the calculations for the next month's grain orders. A guard stepped into our offices, making a beeline for Lord Kenrick as he passed him a scroll before bowing, “They are awaiting for your answer, my Lord.” Lord Kenrick quickly opened the scroll, scowling at its contents, “There is no answer, proceed as usual.” The guard nodded before quickly heading out. Yet Lord Kenrick continued to stew over the scroll, just staring at it frustrated. I watched for a few moments before I spoke softly from my desk, “Are there any concerns this afternoon Kenrick?” He quickly closed the scroll and filing it away in a box, “None Jane.” he replied as he continued on with his other readings. I tilted my head, “I can see the wrinkling of your forehead that would suggest to me otherwise.” Kenrick turned toward me smiling tenderly, “I see that it is now you who has learned to read my eyes.” I nodded with a knowing smile, “Indeed...what worries you so?” He again shook his head, “Nothing for you to be concerned with, dear lady.” My smile faded, “Kenrick, I have also come to learn that when you refuse me twice, it is because you are worried how I will handle the news.” His head hung which signaled I was right. “Jane, please trust me on this,” he sighed. I tilted my head, “I have always trusted you, but how can I grow if you protect me so fiercely?” Kenrick looked up quickly, “But this is my job! To shield you from such pains and terrors!”

I stood from my desk and walked over to him, laying my hand on his shoulder. “Please, trust that if I ask, I am prepared for the answer.” Kenrick laid his hand against mine, “Very well, it was the prison report.” I nodded and waiting for him to continue. When he realized that would not be enough to satisfy me, he continued, “It contains an update on the status of all prisoners, and includes any of their requests.” Again I waited for him to continue which he did with a sigh. “The traitor Alaric is making ever more demanding requests.” I finally spoke, “What is he requesting?” Kenrick's hand tightened around mine, “He is demanding to speak with you, my Lady. And as his demands have gone unmet, he is now resorting to threats.” I raised my eyebrows, “Threats? Treats of what? Against who?” Lord Kenrick stood up, taking me by the hand and sitting me in front of the fire. He knelt in front of me, staring firmly into my eyes, “This is the very reason why I hesitate to tell you. Let me carry this burden, I beg of you Jane!” I curled my fingers slowly around his hand again, my voice lowered by his seriousness, “Now you must tell me.” Kenrick grit his teeth, but finally spoke, “He has been requesting to speak with you since his arrival here at the castle. I felt there was no need as there is nothing the man needs to say to you after your last encounter. However, he has started claiming that if he does not speak with you within the week, that harm will befall the kingdom, and now is suggesting that harm will befall Prince Nicolous.” I felt my head swim at the very idea and I could barely stumble the words from my mouth, “How? He is back in Alaric's kingdom!” Kenrick shook his head, “I do not know Jane...It could be nothing but threats. A mere pathetic attempt to upset you.” I squeezed my eyes closed trying to steady the panic rising up inside my chest.

The mere thought of losing Nicolito because of my arrogance sickened me. I forced my eyes to open, and mustered all my strength to speak, “Then I must see him. There can be no more refusals. No more delays. I must secure the safety of the kingdom and my brother.” My eyes shifted from the fire to Kenrick's, “I know you will make the very safest of arrangements so that I might speak with him. I can endure his harshness. I did before and I can endure them once again for Nicolito.” Kenrick's entire body was rigid, tight like a spring, for I knew he fought the urge to refuse me. “I will tell Lady Jess to lay out your best gown and your crown tomorrow. For Alaric's sake we must put on a show.” I nodded in agreement and Kenrick leaned forward, kissing my forehead. It was a reassuring gesture that started to calm my heart. I smiled back at him and we spent a quiet evening together.