Status: Complete.

You Never Really Can Fix a Heart

14

All the girls got ready in mine and Rae’s hotel suite. Rae’s mom hired people to come in and do our make-up and hair for us. Luckily we had a huge suite since there were nine girls getting ready at the same time. There was me, Rae, Lena, Scarlett, Briana, Candace, Ali, Rae’s cousin Carson, and Rian’s girlfriend Cassadee. The boys began texting us an hour ago because they were starting to grow impatient. It’s taken us about five hours to get ready and the party started a half hour ago. But we really didn’t care because we wanted to be sexy for this party. And let me say we all look gorgeous. I was wearing a short teal colored dress. There is a black lace accent around my waist with a bow on the side. I chose to wear a brunette wig that was curled and the sides were pulled back into braids.

Image

“Did you recycle your prom dress, Scarlett?” I asked her seeing her in her poufy green dress. It had a glittery skirt and a rhinestone bodice. Her hair was pulled to the side and curled with a bride around the crown of her head. She was so pretty, definitely not the little girl who used to play in the mud growing up.

Image

“Yes I did.” She said proudly. “It’s a beautiful dress and I might as well get some use out of it. I didn’t want to spend money on a new dress when I have expenses.” Scarlett hates that she has rich parents. She’s never really indulged in shopping sprees and wasted any money. She refuses to be bought off too. The only time she’s taken money from her parents is to pay her tuition.

“And I thought this was like a ball, why are you girls wearing short ass dresses?” Carson asked looking around at me, Rae, Candace and Briana. Carson was wearing a black and dark grey gown. Her hair was pulled back into a classy but messy bun. Carson is two years older than Rae and I and has been through a lot with us.

Image

“Yeah, whores!” Scarlett joked.

“Hey! I didn’t have money to buy a ball gown and this is the most conservative dress I have!” Candace defended herself. Candace was wearing a reddish pink mini dress that had a strap on one shoulder and a cut out on one side of her waist. She had a braid up the back of her head that blended into a bun. She was stunning. This girl has such gorgeous natural features which is why she’s always getting hit on at the bar.

Image

“It’s me guys, when have you ever seen me in a ball gown? My prom dress was even short.” Rae laughed off. She was wearing black and gold mini dress that showed off all her assets. Since she has bright red hair she wore a dark brown wig that was pulled back into a fancy side bun.

Image

“She does have a point.” Briana shrugged. She’s wearing beige colored fringe dress. Her naturally curly hair was half up and half down with tiny flowers around the crown of her head. She was gorgeous as usual.

Image

“Oh shush Briana, I wish I could have your body. Like how do you look that damn sexy after having a kid?” Lena glared at Briana. Lena was wearing a long form-fitting red dress. Her hair was put up in a low bun and a braid around it. I swear I missed the bun memo because almost everyone has one.

Image

“It’s taken me three years to get this body back.” Briana laughed. This is a complete lie. The girl had her pre-baby body back within two weeks of having Izzy.

“Guys, you’re scaring Cassadee.” Ali scolded us. We looked over at Cassadee who was sitting in a chair quietly like she was the new kid on the first day of school. Ali is wearing a turquoise gown with a silver bodice, similar to Scarlett’s dress. She decided she didn’t want to do anything fancy with her hair so she just straightened it.

Image

“Oh, no I’m fine. I just find your friendships fascinating. I’m not around girls very often so I don’t do this sort of thing often.” Cassadee said. “And has anyone ever told you that you’re like the female versions of All Time Low?”

We all started laughing, because it hasn’t been the first time. “We’ve been told once or twice, but the only ones who know that are Zack and Jack. Alex or Rian haven’t been around us enough to know that so don’t tell anyone.” Rae told her.

“My lips are sealed.” Cassadee laughed. “Thanks again for inviting me to this party. It’s weird to be able to be a girl.” She’s wearing a simple purple dress that’s short in the front and long in the back. She has on a silver ivy necklace. We offered her a wig since her hair is short, but she opted not to and just straightened her hair.

Image

“No problem. I know we’ve met a couple of times but haven’t really gotten to know each other, but that’s all about to change since Lo has made nice with Alex. We’re going to be one big happy family.” Rae said excitedly.

“And you better have your party panties on because this is going to be one hell of a party.” I cheered. Once we all had our masks on we made our way downstairs to the ballroom.

Rae’s mouth dropped open in awe when we walked in the ballroom. The lights were dimmed and there were strings of lights from every corner of the room to the center. In the center of the room was a huge chandelier which was also the center of the dance floor. There were waiters in phantom of the opera type masks passing out champagne and wine. I wanted to keep this a classy party so I’m praying that this is everything that she dreamed of. This was Rae’s vision but I needed the distraction from my life so begged her to let me plan all of the details.

“This is stunning.” Rae breathed out. “You’ve seriously brought my fairy tale dream party into a reality.”

“I’m so happy that you love it.” I hugged her.

Rae made sure that everyone knew not to tell Jack what she was wearing because she wanted him to find her. They have some kinky game going on that I don’t even want to know. I was dancing with Candace and Derek when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me backwards. My natural instincts were to attack but the person was too smart and held onto my arm before I could elbow them. Candace smirked while Derek just shook his head. I was confused to why they weren’t helping me until I heard a voice in my ear. “I found you and you look very pretty with brown hair.” It was Alex and my knees just went weak.

“How did you know it was me?” I asked as I turned around to face him. He smirked at me, pulling me close to his body once again.

“You did a good job at hiding your tattoos, but I still knew it was you. I’m not sure if you know it but you have this birthmark on the back of your thigh,” he let his hand travel down my side and to my thigh to where my birthmark is. “It almost looks like a heart and completely cute.”

“I do know about that actually, but how did you notice it in this crowd of people? Were you checking out all the girl’s legs that are in short dresses just hoping I was in one too?” I asked in a teasing tone.

He chuckled and shook his head. “Nope. I knew it was you as soon as I saw you and the rest of the girls walked in. You also have dimples.” He poked my cheek once I smiled. “I love your smile.”

I felt my cheeks heat up from blushing. “Is that so?” he nodded. “Well I love you.” my eyes widened as well as Alex’s. I hadn’t meant for those words to come out of my mouth but they did and I can’t take them back. I’m not even sure if I want to take them back. Sure I know that I have fell hopelessly in love with Alex over the past month, but I never wanted to say those words to him. At least not now. I’m still terrified beyond belief of love and being in a relationship.

Alex leaned in close to me and whispered in my ear. “How about we get out of here and you show me how much you love me?”

“I can’t leave this party. It’s my best friend’s birthday and I planned this whole thing.” I shook my head. Is he not going to say it back? Was all the sex just sex? Does he not love me back?

“I see you worrying, I can tell in your eyes. And I may have only known you a month but I know exactly what you’re thinking. I heard you loud and clear, Lauren. I love you too, so very much. I wish you would learn that everything isn’t about the sex to me, the sex is just an added bonus.” He chuckled. “And ever since I saw you in this dress I’ve been horny as fuck. But if you tell me right now that you don’t want to have sex we won’t.”

“You really love me? Even though you know I have so much baggage and I am damaged? You still don’t know the half of it.” I asked him.

“Lauren Renee Montgomery, I love you more than life itself. I’ve never felt like this about a girl, even Lisa. Who cares about your past, it’s because of your past that I love you. Everything you’ve went through has made you into this incredibly strong girl that stands before me. I wish I could just show you how strong, gorgeous and incredible you are. You are worth being loved and you aren’t damaged. We’ve all been through crap in our lives that we’re scared of and aren’t proud of. There is still so much we’ve still got to learn about each other. I have secrets too.” His voice was so honest and sincere that I wanted to cry.

“How did I get so lucky?” I asked then kissing him.

“I’m the lucky one babe.” He smiled then proceeded to kiss down my neck, “I’m sure Rae won’t miss you for a little bit.” He persuaded as he kissed across my bare shoulder.

“You’re playing dirty.” I said. My voice was shaky because he was turning me on. I would jump him right here, right now if it weren’t for all these people around us.

“If I remember correctly you like bad boys.” He mumbled against my skin. I hate when he was right, bad boys turn me on more than they really should. I should stay clear of bad boys because they are nothing but trouble, but they are just insanely attractive.

I groaned, “Okay you win, but only for a half hour. After that we have to be back down here because it’ll be time for Rae’s cake.” I pointed my finger at him.

“Promise.” He smiled in relief and placed a simple kiss on my lips before grabbed ahold of my hand and practically dragging me out of the ballroom.

I giggled as he stole kisses as we walked to the elevator. We were waiting for the elevator when I saw a familiar face walking toward the ballroom. Alex had his lips attached to my neck, nibbling on my skin when I pushed him away. “Stop.” I told him.

“What?” he asked confused. I couldn’t breathe, what was he doing here? Alex saw the distressed look on my face. “What’s wrong?”

“We need to find Zack and now!” I ordered him.

“Tell me what’s going on first.” He told me.

“Rae’s ex, Landon, he’s here. He could ruin everything.” I told him. Alex’s eyes widened and we both ran back to the ball room and looked around for Zack and Rae. But before we could spot them the music cut off and a spot light lit up on Jack who wasn’t wearing a mask anymore and holding a microphone. My heart stopped, I had no idea what he was up to, but it’s probably really cute and romantic but it could also be ruined by Landon.

“Sorry for interrupting the party, but I’ve got something to say.” He paused licking his lips. “You see there’s this girl that I really like and she probably things that I haven’t noticed her all night since I haven’t spoken to her, but that’s not the case. You see I’ve seen her dancing around this dance floor and having the time of her life with her friends and family. And let me tell you she looks sexy as hell in that short black and gold dress.” The room erupted with laugher. That’s when I spotted Rae who was smiling like a fool and blushing. “It’s taken a lot of alcohol and a lot of restraint not to fuck her. So Rae, bring your sexy ass over here. I have one more birthday present for you.”

Another spotlight was on Rae who looked highly embarrassed. “What are you doing?” she asked as she proceeded to walk toward Jack.

“Hoping that I don’t make a fool out of myself.” He chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

“Do you know what he’s up to?” I asked Alex.

He shrugged, “I honestly have no idea, but I know that he’s been a nervous wreck all of the afternoon. It has to be something big; maybe he’s finally found his balls and is going to tell her how he feels.”

“We’ve known each other for a long time and have done this back and forth flirting for some time now.” Jack took a deep breath. “In those long nights, the drunken hookups, the sober hookups, the fighting, the periods where we didn’t talk, the hard times we’ve gone through, I’ve grown to care about you as a friend. Our friendship means the world to me so I’ve been fighting with myself because of these feelings I have but I am tired of fighting and tired of running from them. What I am trying to say is I’ve fallen for you Rachel Zoe Martinez and I want you to be my girlfriend.”

Rae covered her mouth and looked around like she was being Punk’d or something. I could see her eyes glistening from the tears in her eyes. “It look you long enough you punk.” She laughed then grabbed ahold of his jacket with hands, pulling him to her and kissing him passionately. Everyone at the party started cheering and clapping.

“Well, well what do we have here?” I heard Landon’s voice behind me. I turned around quickly and looked at him. He was standing there looking at Rae and Jack kissing with a devious smirk on his face. “That douche obviously doesn’t know Rae as well as I do.”

“Get the hell out of here Landon. Jack is a good guy and he knows everything about Rae and loves her all the same. So just leave her the hell alone and go back to your whore.” I yelled at him, thankfully the music had been turned back on so Rae wouldn’t hear me yelling.

“Woo! I have a girlfriend!” I heard Jack cheer over the music. I looked at Alex hoping he’d understand what I needed him to do. He nodded and walked away and through the crowd.

“She’ll always come back to me and we both know it, Laruen. So tell your friend to just come back and stop her shit.” Landon said getting closer to me. I could smell the whiskey on his breath. It was almost too strong to handle.

“Just leave before Zack comes over and kicks your ass. Rae has moved on so stop fucking with her. You have a girlfriend and we all know it. Why do you keep confusing her?” I stressed to him.

“Because she’s an amazing fuck.” He said cockily.

“Well go fuck your girlfriend and leave my best friend alone. She’s finally in a good place after your stupid ass fucked her up.” I growled at him. I hated Landon’s guts. And I’ll be damned if he ruins Rae’s relationship with Jack. And I know that Landon can ruin it if he pushed hard enough. I know Jack wouldn’t judge Rae by any of her past indiscretions because he’s seen me at worst and is still one of my best friends.

Landon went to respond but he quickly closed his mouth and his face turned pale. I turned around and saw Zack walking toward us looking pissed. “Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. Here.” He pushed Landon after each word.

“You won’t kick my ass and we both know it.” he tried to sound confident but his voice squeaked a bit.

“You’re right, I won’t. Because you’re not worth it. but I will do this.” Zack said then kneed Landon in the groin. Landon went down to knees with a streak of pain. That’s when security came over and escorted Landon out of the building and were told not to let him back in.

“What did he want?” Zack asked once Landon was out of the room.

“He wanted Rae what else?” I rolled my eyes. “And he saw Jack’s speech and now he’s more determined than ever to get to her. He said he could ruin their relationship. I’m not sure what he’s planning but I’m scared. Especially since we’re all leaving.”

“We’ll have Candace watching over her. Plus she has that trip you got for her and Scarlett and she’ll be busy with starting up the bakery. Hopefully she’ll have no time to mess with Landon.” Zack tried to reassure all of us.

“What did he mean though? By Jack not knowing Rae that well?” Alex asked curiously.

“He’s just bluffing. He probably thinks Jack doesn’t know about them hooking up or that Rae hooks up with random bar guys. Either way the only way he can ruin their relationship at this point if she cheats on Jack.” I told him.

“So who’s going to buy me a celebratory drink?” Jack said putting his arms around Alex and Zack’s shoulders.

“Not me, but I will say it’s about fucking time!” I laughed then hugged Rae. “I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks.” She squeezed me.

“Boo, you suck Lo!” Jack glared at me.

“No, that is what Rae will be doing later.” I said with a straight face.

“That’s true.” He sang.

“Let’s go party!” Alex yelled. We laughed and went back to the dance floor; Rae doesn’t need to know about what just happened. It’s her birthday and she deserves to have fun. And that’s exactly what happened. We danced and drank the night away. Rae wanted an epic birthday and that’s what she got. She got her dream party and the boy of her dreams so if that doesn’t equal an epic birthday I don’t know what does.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well there was Rae's big birthday bash, I hope you enjoyed it. You'll get to hear more to what happened in the next chapter when they all talk about their stories of what happened. We also got to meet Landon too, he's a real douche huh? This won't be the last we see of him either. What do you think he meant though? Is Rae hiding anything else? Guess we shall see later on. Leave me some feedback please! I really want to hear what you guys think of this story.