Status: First story! Hope you enjoy :)

Sanctuary

"Teenage Dirtbag"

"Taryn, get up," James said, throwing a pillow over her head. She groaned, rolling over and looking at her alarm clock. It was 10:30 in the morning. Thanksgiving Day. She could already hear her dad downstairs, bustling around in the kitchen as he prepped food for the afternoon.

She sat up, stretching and glancing over at her phone. Three days into Thanksgiving break and she hadn't heard from her Brighton friends. Not even Hallie.

"Neil and Robbie are meeting us at the park at noon. I need to stop at Stacie's for some stuff, so I'm leaving in an hour." Taryn rubbed her eyes as he walked out. This had been the routine for the past few years. Not wanting to spend the entire day cooped up in the house watching her parents cook, Taryn accompanied her brother and his friends to the local park for their annual touch-football game.

She meandered down the carpeted staircase, tying her messy hair into a loose bun.

"Hey, sweetheart," her dad greeted warmly. "Happy Thanksgiving!"

She smiled, taking a seat on a barstool as he slid a small plate across to her. A warm cinnamon bun sat in front of her, the sugary smell wafting up to her nose and instantly calming her. "Where's Mom?"

"She's picking up your Aunt Carol from the airport. She'll be back soon. The twins are coming this year," he said, digging the mixer out of the cabinet beneath the sink. Taryn picked at the cinnamon bun, popping a piece into her mouth and nodding. Her Aunt Carol was pretty cool. Hadn't seen much of her since a few years ago. Neither she nor her cousins had come around much.

"I was thinking we should grab dinner tomorrow night, just the two of us," her dad said, leaning his arms on the island counter and looking over at her. "You know, before you head back to school."

"Okay," she said, eating another piece of her breakfast and nodding at him. She supposed that'd be a good time. At least for them to catch up without her condescending mother in the picture. She quickly clenched her jaw, reminding herself of her vow to try and make peace with her mom.

"You headed to the park with James?" her father continued, pulling a foil-covered pan out of the refrigerator.

"Yeah, I think it's just going to be the same crew from last year," she said. "Neil and Robbie and Mark and James and Trevor and maybe a few others."

"And my little girl's going to show them all who's boss, right?" he said with a sly grin.

"Oh, of course," she laughed, sliding her plate into the sink in front of her. "Don't I always."

"If by that you mean running in fear away from the endzone, then yes," James interjected, striding into the kitchen with his duffel bag slung over one shoulder. "Try again, sis."

"Screw you," she joked, shoulder-checking him as she headed back for the stairs. "At least I know how to play. That's more than I can say for half of your friends."

"Whatever...." he said, his voice trailing off as she ascended the steps back to her room. Her phone lit up with a few texts from Danielle and Hallie, wishing her a happy holiday.

She threw on black shorts and an old Eagles' jersey, swiping black face paint underneath her eyes and tying her hair back into a loose ponytail. She and her brother's ex-girlfriend, Stacie, used to dress identically for the game, but this year, she would be playing solo. Stacie had some kind of obligation to stay home this year, much to Taryn's dismay. At least they would get to see each other for a few moments when James stopped by her house.

"Let's go!" her brother shouted up the stairs. She sighed, shoving her phone in her pocket and grabbing her water bottle. Never had she looked forward to a football game so much.

***

"Robbie, come on. Give me a chance. I got this. They'll never see it coming," Taryn pleaded, looking across the huddle at him. They were one touchdown from winning the game and were trying to decide on their last play.

He studied her face. "You promise you won't drop it like last year?" He smirked.

"Swear," she said, holding out her pinky. "I've become quite adept at faking people out."

"Alright. Taryn gets the ball, no matter what," he said, glancing around at his team. They all nodded, eyeing her warily as they broke the huddle. They lined up along the "line of scrimmage" in the middle of the park clearing. Before she knew it, she was flying toward the endzone, turning around to spot the quarterback, a skinny, lanky kid named Tommy that she had just met that morning. He glanced at her as she tried to avoid defense, and he smoothly launched the ball into the air, the tightly spiraled ball heading straight for her. Perfect.

She heard a laugh to her right, her breath catching in her throat. She knew that laugh. Before she could focus her attention back to the game, she was shoulder checked by her own brother, stumbling to the side as he intercepted the pass and ran for the opposite goal. Her team groaned, but she couldn't hear them over the sound of the ringing in her ears. She whipped her head around, locking eyes with Ryan as he strode confidently past their game. His eyes were dead, no gleam of recognition. They passed over her as he continued on, Dan and Kelsey in tow. Kelsey glared at her, her heavily made-up face mocking Taryn as she gripped Ryan's hand. Taryn pivoted on her heel, ignoring the playful jeers of her teammates as she hurried for her brother. Her heart was beating furiously, threatening to rip out of her very chest.

"I need your keys," she demanded, holding out her hand.

He dug into the pocket of his bag. "Why? I wasn't planning on leaving yet."

"I know. I just...left something in there. I just want to go get it." He dropped his lanyard into her palm and she took off, jogging towards the car and trying to control her breathing. His car was hidden in a circle of trees, in the middle of a makeshift parking lot where several other cars were. She threw open the backseat, sliding in and lying across it. She shoved the heels of her palms into her eye sockets, willing herself not to cry then and there. She was stronger than that. At least she wanted to believe that.

She pulled her phone out of her pocket and began dialing Hallie's number. Hallie would know what to say. She would be able to calm Taryn's nerves.

But wait. It was Thanksgiving. Why should she have to spend her holiday babysitting her roommate?

No. Taryn wouldn't be that burden.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 24!

Wow, so it has been a while. Life has been...insane as of late, but I'm trying to maintain my sanity by getting back into this story. I'm still very attached to it, and now that I'm back at school, I get more and more ideas just by going to class and being around campus each day. So things are definitely looking up!

As always, thanks to anyone who reads this! Feel free to comment, recommend, and subscribe! Much love <3

Song: 'Teenage Dirtbag' by Wheatus