Dying Perfection

The Forest

We went to a forest, all of us, except Eric. He didn’t talk much since his mother passed away. The forest was the same one when Kalyan and I saw the two bucks fight and when I told her about Eric and his mom.
The guys explored by climbed the trees and going into small crevices. Kalyan, Leilani and I just walked and talked, while keeping an eye on the boys.
“Hey! Look what I can do!” Sam said and was upside down, hanging on the branch of the tree only with his legs. Ajax was climbing up the tree trying to get up to Sam. When he got to him he stood up, looking down. At his feet was Sam and below him was Makaio, on another branch. Ajax smiled, I recognized that smile.
Ajax got down and started to tickle Sam. “Stop! Stop it!” Sam laughed. Ajax continued to tickle him, I think tickling is the one mean thing Ajax does to people. Sam continued to laugh, I couldn’t tell if he was having fun or being tortured.
Sam’s foot slipped from the branch. Ajax dived to hold onto his other leg but that fell out of reach. Sam fell down, head first. Makaio stared at the scene and jumped from his branch, catching Sam in mid air. The bundle continued to fall until Makaio hit the ground hard with the shaking Sam in his arms. Makaio collapsed as Sam sat vibrating on top of him. Kalyan ran over to the scene as Leilani and I followed.
“Are you okay?” Kalyan asked Sam. Sam slowly nodded. Leilani and I were looking at Makaio, he wasn’t moving. I picked up Sam and threw him off of Makaio, with that Makaio gasped and started to breath small breaths.
“Makaio?” Leilani said, tears in her eyes. She reached out her hand and softly touched his shoulder, he winced. “Makaio?” Leilani repeated. “Are you okay?” Makaio just groaned.
“I’ll take you home.” I heard Kalyan say behind me. I looked back, she helped Sam stand up. Sam was clinging onto her, still trembling.
I looked back at Makaio, only his chest was still moving. He opened his eyes and looked up at Leilani and I. “Where’s Kalyan?” He said. I smiled, good he can talk.
“She’s taking Sam home; he’s okay, just shaken up.” I said and saw some disappointment in his eyes.
“Are you okay?” Leilani repeated once more.
“My chest,” Was all Makaio could say.
“I’ll call the hospital.” Leilani said and took out her cell phone and dialed 9-1-1.

We drove behind the ambulance, constantly hearing the siren ring. At some points we would loose it but would speed up or go higher and track it down again. We eventually got to the hospital and saw the ambulance disappear into the garage. We went into the emergency section and saw the stretcher with Makaio being carried. We tried to follow it but a man stopped.
“I’m afraid you can’t go past this point.” He said.
“But he’s my brother! I need to see what’s happening! I want to know if he’s okay.” Leilani said. Ajax tried to sneak by while the man was distracted but he was caught.
“Give us your phone number and we’ll call you if there is an emergency.” He said.
“But I need to know what is happening now! I need to know if he needs my help.” Leilani was almost crying.
“Fine then.” The man said. “But all I can do is see what the problem is and what’s happening, you still can’t pass this point.” The man said and pushed us back a bit and closed the door on us.
We waited impatiently. “It’s my fault.” Ajax finally spoke up. “If I hadn’t tickled Sam or if I had caught him we wouldn’t be here.” We continued to stand there, not saying anything.
The door opened and the man came out. “Your brother is in the operating room. He has three broken ribs and a broken leg. One of the ribs punctured his left lung.” The man looked at Leilani. “You are allowed to stay, but are not allowed in the operating room, we will call you if anything happens.” He then turned to Ajax and I. “You are asked to leave, we don’t want too many people in here.” I nodded. The man turned around and disappeared through the door.
Leilani turned to me. “There’s nothing I can do right now but drive you guys home.” She turned around and headed to the door.

The Bastet 6 landed and Ajax and I jumped out and headed to the door. The entire ride we said nothing. We headed to the door and scanned our thumbprints and were let inside. On the couch were Eric and Kalyan, kissing.