Zombie apocalypse

Chapter 2

~The next morning in the car~
Ryan and I dropped the girls off at their houses and we headed over to his. What we saw was something gruesome.

The door to the house was hanging off its hinges. There were dead bodies inside the house and there was a cluster of unrecognizable bodies but we could tell that they tried to escape.

I wrapped an arm around Ryan and gave him a squeeze as silent tears ran down his face.

“Why didn’t we get here sooner?” he asked bitterly stepping away from me.

Sighing I opened my mouth but was cut off, “Fuck they were everything to me.”

I watched as he broke down in front of me before he knelt down by the bodies.

His mom and dad were just recognizable; the other body I assumed was his brother’s, Tyler.

“Ryan is that you?” we heard someone whisper.

I gasped when I saw Lily, Ryan’s cousin holding her older brother Nolan’s hand who was standing next to her.

Both children were covered in dry blood from the others.

“Are you ok, no bites or scratches?” I asked as I examined Lily.

Nolan nodded still a little in shock as Ryan came over to me.

“We need to get you guys out of here,” Ryan said.

I nodded as I stood up and grabbed Lily’s other hand as I lead them to my car.

As I made sure they were ok in the car I went back inside.

“I don’t know what you’re going through but I’m here for you,” I said hugging Ryan from behind.

I heard a sniffle and felt silent sobs rack his body has he finally broke down.

“Do you want to bury them, and I’ll grab the supplies I can find?” I asked rubbing his shoulder affectionately.

He nodded as he gave my hand a squeeze as he stood up and went to the garage for the wheel barrel and shovel.

I sighed and went to the kitchen to look for any supplies.

After packing up what I found I went back to the car and stuck it all in the car.

“Sydney where are we going?” Nolan asked me.

“We are going to a safe house I have,” I said starting the car.

Ryan came to the side of the car and slid in next to Lily and held her as I drove away from their house.

As we left we saw some walkers meandering through the streets.

“Look there’s Mrs. Kelly,” Ryan said pointing out the old wrinkled math teacher.

Her face looked dull and bruised and she had a bite mark on her arm.

As I drove down farther I saw someone in a white lab coat trying to out run some walkers.

I sped up to catch up with him while running over some zombies.

Rolling down the window I gave out a quick, “Get in.”

I threw the door open as he sped into the car. Slamming my foot on the accelerator I took of towards my current house.

“Thanks for saving me,” the guy said.

“No problem, my name is Sydney, that’s my boyfriend Ryan and the others are Nolan and Lily,” I said.

“I’m doctor Trent, but you can call me John,” He said.

The guy seemed to be in his late 20’s and he had a bag of doctoral equipment.

“So are you actually a doctor or is that just a costume?” Nolan asked.

“I’m a children’s doctor but I’ve also worked in the ER,” John responded.

“Where were you heading John?” Ryan asked shifting in the back seat.

“Just out of there, I was staying at my sister’s house before all of this madness happened but it seems I was to late, so now I have nowhere to go,” John sighed out.

“Well good for you I came, we were just leaving for a safe house,”
I said pulling up into my driveway.

Later that night after the kids showered we settled down to talk.

Ryan and I were on the love seat while Nolan and Lily were sitting on the couch with John.

Ryan’s arm was around my shoulder and my head was resting on his chest.

We were currently watching a Disney movie when John stood up and stated he was going to bed.

We bid him good night and settled back in.

I felt a pair of lips attach themselves to my neck.

I silently gasped and shifted, I heard a groan behind me.

“Ryan, you ok?” Lily asked innocently.

“Yup, I’m all good,” He answered shifting a bit.

I smirked when I felt something underneath me.

Soon the credits were rolling and I showed Nolan and Lilly to separate rooms for bed.

I watched as Nolan gave his sister a hug before disappearing.

Ryan bent down and picked up lily and tucked her in.

I turned off the lights and walked up the stairs to my room.

“That was sweet,” I said to Ryan as we got to my room.

Outside I could here the pitter-patter of rain hitting the window.

I felt arms snake around my hips.

“Thank you for helping my family and well, me,” Ryan whispered into my ear.

I turned around so I was facing him.

I looked into his bright blue eyes and brought my lips up to his.

It was a short but sweet kiss, “ No problem, I couldn’t stand to leave two children behind in this madness,” I said.