Heart Attack Waiting to Happen

Chapter 2: But I Can't Turn Away.

Chapter 2: But I Can't Turn Away.

Josh’s P.O.V

Max and I strolled into the corridors of school, having 10 minutes to spare before we had to head to class, we were often late so this was early for us.

“I’m gonna quickly go to the toilet mate.” Max says rushing off to the guys toilets.

“Alright.” I said chuckling. My best mate was such a funny character.

I make my way over to my friends, Dan, Chris and Matt, saying hello to the passing faces of my friends and classmates but something catches my eye at the end of the corridor which distracts me.

A black silhouette standing next to the lockers, as I focus properly I realised it was Oli. I wondered if I had any lessons with him today, he didn’t tell me his timetable. But then again why should he? He made it clear that he didn't want to know me. A part of me hoped today would be different if we share other classes later.

I watch him from a far. It looked like he was struggling with his locker, of course he wouldn’t ask for any help. You could tell he was one of those ‘suffer in silence’ type of people. Which maybe in some way this was the reason drawing me to him.

I walked down the end of the corridor through the busy crowd of students and approached him.

Oli was fiddling with the lock on the locker trying to open it but failed once or twice. He didn’t see me approach him and I already knew for a fact if I offer to help open his locker he would turn me down just like yesterday. So I decided to take it upon myself and just open it for him without his permission. I banged my fist on the locker door 3 times until the door flung open.

Oli jumped back in fright, pulling out his headphones from his ears and whipping his head around to glare at me. Oops, I didn't know he had those in. Wide terrified eyes quickly turned into a frown, the look on his face made me laugh as well as made me feel a little guilty for making him jump like that.

“Sorry. I had that locker last year, you kinda got to bang it a few times for it to open.” I say in amusement hoping he would see the funny side.

I was wrong though because He didn’t look impressed.

“Thanks.” He said quietly, pulling the locker door wide open in front of my face so it would block me from my view of him.

Well that was rude. I ignored it and peeked my head round his locker door looking into the empty metal square.

“So, do you need any help finding your classes?” I offered.

I tried to be as nice as possible; I didn’t want him to feel unwelcome here but I felt like I had to walk on egg shells around him also. He seemed to have mood swings worse than a 13 year old girl.

He flipped his fringe out of his face, revealing his dark brown eyes to me. Fuck. Those eyes were something else…something about them held a story, a sad story, a story that I was way too curious to know…Shit, I was staring at him again! I broke eye contact with him, feeling my face heat up in embarrassment. What was it with me staring at him?

“What do you want Josh?” He snapped.

His harshness brought me back to reality, looking at him in shocked and panicked if he caught me staring.

“What? Erm…N-nothing. I was just asking if you needed any help finding classes, that’s all.”

Jeez, I’m only trying to be nice to the boy and he bites my head off!

There was an awkward silence between us. When I thought he was just about to say something to me, Max came up behind me patting me on my shoulder, breaking our eye contact.

“Thanks for waiting mate!” Max said sarcastically pulling a face at me.

“You were taking ages.”

I was annoyed at him for interrupting us, I wanted to try to get to know Oli but I knew I was going to have no luck now Max was by my side.

“You must be the new kid. Oliver is it? You’re in my maths class.” Max says in a cheery voice.

“It’s Oli.”

He sounded annoyed and looked really uncomfortable standing here with Max and I. He didn’t take his eyes off the floor but thankfully the bell rang, letting us know class had started.

“Well we better head off to maths now then Oli.” Max said pointing his thumb behind him. Max looked at me and then back at Oli frowning at his lack of eye contact.

Oli slammed the locker door shut, startling us both.

“I can find my own way there.” He said storming past me and Max, walking to find the maths room on his own. My eyes followed after him, why did he have to shit people out and be so rude?

“What's his problem?” Max said raising an eyebrow at me, confused at Oli’s reaction.
I shrugged my shoulders, I was clueless as he was.

“No idea. Anyway, see you at lunch.” I walked off in the opposite direction, where my maths class was. I was feeling pretty annoyed at Oli’s reaction, I was hoping he would be more open today but that obviously wasn’t going to happen. Maybe I should let the guy be, he’s made it clear he just wants to be on his own and be the loner with no friends.

But apart of me didn’t want to leave him alone... Maybe he was just socially awkward and didn't know how to talk to new people? I'll try one more time with him if I had the chance but if he's rude again, then I won't bother anymore.

~~

Me and the guys were sitting on the school bench having lunch in the back field. The weather was warm today, which gave us the excuse to sit outside. Some of the girls we were friends with came over to join us also. One of the girls, Amy, I thought was really pretty. I had a thing for a girl with blonde hair and green eyes, and she always helped me in maths, as it wasn’t my strongest subject. And she was always so sweet to me and I enjoyed her company whenever she hung out with us.

We were all laughing and joking together having a good time, but as I looked behind me I saw Oli sitting on his own on the other side of the field.

I felt the smile disappeared from my face, as the picture of him on his own made me feel guilty. Maybe I should have tried being nicer to him... But I was more than nice and he still turned my offer down. How could he not want to have anyone to hang out with? He look lonely sitting over there on his own.

“Earth to Josh.” Someone called out, throwing a screwed up crisp packet at me, breaking me out of my state. Shit, I was staring at him again!

“Who you looking at Josh?” Amy says, taking a seat next to me on the bench causing me to blush.

“Oh..Err…Its just Oli. Should I invite him over here?” I felt a little nervous asking the group, I don’t know why I’ve never have before.

Max laughed at me.

“After this morning, I think you should leave the git on his own.” He said in a hurtful tone.

“Why, what did he do?” Dan asked curiously.

“Nothing, he’s new here and he doesn’t really know anyone, so I thought it would be nice if we could try and be his friends.” I say defending Oli.

I don’t know why, Max was my best friend and Oli was rude to both of us this morning. But there was just something about him which wasn’t letting me give up on him just yet.

“Aww that’s really sweet of you Josh, I’ll ask him to join us.” Amy smiles at me as she stepped down from the bench and I panicked.

“No, don't!" shit, I shouldn’t have shouted that.

Amy pulled a face at me in confusion, searching my eyes for an explanation, as well as the stares from the others.

“Why not Josh?”

“Well erm, he’s really shy you see and I think its best if I ask him on my own… Cos he already knows me.” I tried to come up with any excuse for her not to come along.

“Oh I see, well make sure you ask him nicely.” She said smiling at me again.

I nod and turned on my heel and walked hastily away from the group and made my way over the other side of the field towards Oli.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here's chapter two :3