Clarity

Love and War

“Fucking shit, all of that happened in a span of a day? Honey, your world has gone upside down…have you told Chris your answer?” Susan inquired, her chin placed on her palm as she curiously looked at her.

Spending the next few days at her parents’ house, working like she usually did and having Tom and Paty throwing sympathy her way only made her worthless. She wanted her own place again, to be independent and not rely on her parents. Being back at the house made her feel like a teenager again and to help her get out of that rut, she dialed Susan’s number to vent.

Deirdre also came in mind, but she felt like her bubbly personality might just make her more depressed than she is.

Xianghua nodded, “I told him that I couldn’t move to Boston. I have too much over here, my work can’t be mobile, and he has the liberty of moving anywhere and still getting work. He felt guilty that he didn’t offer to live in London and offered the idea right away after seeing from my perspective.”

“And what did you say? Please tell me you said yes because I will slap you if you didn’t.” Susan eagerly waited for the answer and squealed when her shy friend nodded with a small smile on her lips. “Yes! I’m so happy for you!”

Susan embraced Xianghua tightly cooing at her before ranting about the many possibilities of getting a more lavished home, one far more improved than the one she used to live in. Xianghua never thought of it that way, she will be building a home with Chris, everything from scratch and will be able to pick some extravagant items that she drooled over that she can’t afford. She already promised to stay within her means even when Chris told her he is willing to pay for her expensive taste.

“You’re a designer, love. It’s in your blood.” The woman scoffed, “Go buck wild, that’s what I will say. If a man is willing to pay for my taste then by means go get it.”

Suddenly Susan had a sparkle in her eye, “Before I forget I totally wanted to cheer you up since the police almost concluded that most of your things are long gone…do you love your job as a personal assistant?”

Xianghua slowly blinked, “Yes.”

The large grin only made her worry as the onyx haired beauty clapped her hands in a giddy fashion, “Well I think you are going to like this better. So, remember I told you that most of the fashion people are complete bitches are just horrible to work for? I have been working on my own business knowing more of the financial than the creativity that comes along with fashion, not that gifted in that department, I was wondering if you would like to partner up with me.” Susan watched her blank face, she jumped at the opportunity to add on a few more things, “If you do partner up with me, your name will be in the company or we can make up a name for it. I know a true designer never wants to stay out of the fashion world for long, it’s been way too long for you and this can be a fresh start.”

Her mouth felt parched as words flew into one ear and drifted off in the other. She didn’t know what to think, thinking that the robbery only brought sadness. It brought a fresh new start in disguise, but was she willing to drop what’s left of her comfortable situation to dive into new territory?

Yes, she was tired of being in that safety net and Paty has told her a million times to go back to her previous career choice, her first passion and love. The more she thought about it, the more she missed it and that is when she decided to take that risk and Susan have never smiled brighter.

_ _ _

Xianghua grimaced as she sat beside her mother while Chris was in the other room with her father, as much as she refused to let him have any personal time with her boyfriend, Chris shockingly didn’t mind. He understood where her father was coming from since his daughter did not share the small information that she has been dating someone for almost seven months.

“So,” A small groan left her lips as her mother suddenly broke their silence, she too was shocked to see Chris standing at their door. “how long were you going to hide him until you brought him over?”

Shrugging her shoulders, she dug her heel on the floor, “I don’t know. I didn’t think we would have made it this far and I didn’t want you to meet just any man I date, I want them to be worthy.”

Kala chuckled, “Any man is worthy of bringing home, you have a good taste in men. Tom, Ben, Martin, Chris that Daniel lad did not do for me.”

“I didn’t date him, mum. That was just a rumor.” The same rumor that she has been running from for years now, Keeva’s ex, Daniel spread a rumor that they slept together so she can climb the social ladder and flies her way to having her own business. Now that is another story she will break later, she didn’t think her mother can handle all this at once.

The only one who knew was Susan of course and Chris who has been more than ecstatic that she has been taking those steps forward to build herself a career again.

“Oh, yes. I forget, sorry. Who is he? He seems oddly familiar and goodness he has handsome features, quite dashing if I may say. I think I might date him if I was younger.” Xianghua blushed, slapping a hand over her face as her mother continued to ramble like her usual self. She didn’t want to think that her mother would date her boyfriend if she wasn’t in the picture, matter of fact, it seem possible if the universe let it happen.

She mumbled where her mother vaguely might remember him from. Kala’s features continued to be blank as she looked on in confusion not understanding the concept of Captain America or the Avengers. Out of all things her mother did not watch current movies all too often, being old fashion and having a love for black and white movies. Still she smiled and pretended what she saw a few movies when doing interviews or giving her opinion, so far, she has gotten away with it.

Honestly, her mother has a cheat sheet, reading the summary for it or having Xianghua telling her the main points, important.

“Seems like a shy fellow, have you two…sexually active?”

Mum!” Her brown eyes widened in shock as her face got redder. Not believing her ears, Kala only shrugged claiming she is curious and wanted to know.

“I want to know if you are being smart about things, using protection, that sort of thing…are you?” Kala gave her a pointed look, piercing blue eyes burned into her retinas. Xianghua shifted in her seat, she slipped off a bit, blood rushing to her ears as she softly muttered a confirmation.

“Yes, we are.” These are the type of things she rather not talk about and having her mother be so open about it only made it worse. Chris and Xianghua barely became sexually active the day he arrived in London. The two didn’t feel the full impact of their separation until they saw one another, filled with lust, love, and desperation, their actions spoke louder than their words that night.

Kala only smirked, “I knew it. That glow doesn’t just come from your boyfriend arriving. How was he? He didn’t hurt you, did he?” Knowing that she will never leave her alone until she answered, Xianghua muttered the answers as her eyes still trained on the door where Chris and her father were stationed. It felt like forever until the two came out and from the look of things, Chris looked pale as he gave her a shifty smile giving her a pat on the shoulder instead a kiss on the lips like they usually did.

“Why don’t you stay for dinner?”

Her father agreed; only to have Xianghua come to the rescue explaining their already made plans with their friends later that night. Boldly holding his hand after kissing her parents on the cheek, bewilderment filled her when her father asked if she was coming home that night. Blushing, she told them that she is staying with Chris, Fitzgerald’s face darkened as he called out, “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do. I have eyes and ears everywhere.”

Feeling Chris shiver at the threat, she fell into the passenger seat as Chris took the driver’s seat. “Your dad can be scary.” He murmured.

Xianghua felt sympathy, patting his hand in comfort, “Only the first time round, I promise.”

The two traveled to the pub where they were going to meet up with friends, Tom, Paty and a few others were excited to have Chris join their group. The news spread quickly that he arrived and when they arrived, Chris immediately got bombarded demanding what he is doing in London. Giving his friends a look, he bluntly told them that he is here to be with his girlfriend.

A few rounds of coos filled the room as she blushed, “Really though, how long are you staying?” Tom questioned as he looped an arm around his fiancé. The anxious face of Paty only made Xianghua steer her face the other direction knowing the woman would figure it out in a matter of seconds if their eyes met.

Chris licked his lips, clearing his throat before leaning in for a private conversation, “I’ve planned on living here, as long as Xi wants me.” Turning his head, he gave her an award winning smile, bringing her close to his physique. Paty snickered, putting her hand out to the group, stacks of cash piled in her hand.

“Don’t ask. Next round on me.” Paty smiled before dragging Xianghua to the bar, “Congrats on the big step! Chris moving to London.”

“He at first wanted me to move to Boston.”

Paty scoffed, “As much as America sounds lovely, it’s given he should live here. London is way better than Boston…” her voice trailed off as the tray of drinks was placed before her. Thanking the bartender, she slapped the money on the countertop before splitting the drinks with Xianghua to carry back to the table. The group cheered as the drinks were passed around, Xianghua didn’t realize that Ben has been in their circle until she mistakenly looked around.

Their eyes locked and her heart skipped a beat, it may possibly be the alcohol that is making her organ do such a thing. Licking her lips, she focused on Chris as he threw his head back in laughter at a joke that has been shared around the table. Xianghua smiled not wanting to be spotted not listening to any of the stories.

Still she felt eyes blatantly staring at her making her uncomfortable, it won’t take long for Chris to realize that Ben has been openly gazing at her. Much to her luck, his eyes darted from her to Ben’s, brows furrowed, he pursed his lips as he hunched his arm around her shoulders bringing her closer. Ben flinched at the action, frowning at the immediate mark of territory. A look is exchanged between the two, recognition that Xianghua couldn’t translate.

She didn’t know if there is tension between them or just a look of understanding went on between them. Blinking, she felt Chris lean across her, making her bend towards Ben as he raised his voice a bit. “I want to thank you for being there for Xi when the robbery took place. It was better to have someone with her than being alone.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Ben replied.

Awkwardness overwhelmed her, the pressure build in her stomach as she blurted out, “It’s so nice to have you both here! Very lovely, so nice.” Cutting the tension, it broke them out of their trance and simultaneously looked down at her. Not noticing the entire circle watching the exchange, Xianghua instinctively clutched onto the bottom of Chris and Ben’s shirts, pulling at it for reassurance and a sense of pleading.

Whatever went on with them she wanted it to be over, it is weird having them staring at each other like the way they have.

Paty being the lifesaver that she is dragged Ben to play a game of pool. Chris instantly relaxed once he left leaving him in the same cool demeanor he had before, going into conversation with the rest of the group Xianghua stole glances from behind her looking at Ben as he too took glances at her.
♠ ♠ ♠
No worries! More Ben in the next one! Everything will come crashing down sooner than you think, Xi will either end up with one of them or none at all. Comment, tell me your thoughts. I honestly have all possibilities figured out and like I said before it is ending very very soon.

Thank you for the comments

BlueDreams

kittkatt6661