Status: In progress?

Be My Escape

You Made Me Hate My Own Reflection, Question Every Choice I Make

I looked down at my hands feeling awkward and slightly nervous as I waited for Vic’s response. The minute it took him seemed like hours until he finally leaned in and kissed me, in response to my question. I let out a sigh of relief as soon as I felt his soft lips on mine and easily began to slide my lips across his. I loved the way his lips glided effortlessly over mine. I had to fight back a groan as his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling my body flush to his, just as there was a knock on the door.

Vic and I tore ourselves apart and grinned widely at each other as my mom walked in with the doctor. I felt my grin turn into a frown as I noticed how my mom looked.

“Mrs. Quinn, I need you to step out please,” the doctor said, waiting for my mom to leave before turning back to me.

“Mr. Quinn, I need you to confirm your mother’s story as to how you got the bruises on your body.”

“Oh…” I said slowly, trying to think of something quickly. My mom had never told me what to say if anything like this ever happened. “We were just getting home from the grocery store to buy dinner and I was carrying a lot of bags and their extra weight pulled me down and I didn’t catch myself in time.” I lied.

“Mhhhm. So, here’s what’s going to happen.” The doctor began, her eyes suddenly looking so steely. She opened the door to my hospital room and beckoned my mother to come in. “You are going to be escorted away from your son who will remain in the hospital for observation and I’m going to call CPS.” She said, looking directly at my mom as she pushed a button on her pager. My mother’s jaw dropped but she said nothing. “Mr. Fuentes, would you mind staying with Kellin for the evening?” She asked kindly, looking over me and Vic, who simply nodded his head. Less than ten seconds later, two big men walked through the door and headed to my mother’s side as the doctor had nodded her head to her.

“You worthless bastard! You pathetic piece of shit!” My mom yelled at me as one the of the men grabbed her and started pulling her towards the door. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as she yelled the awful words at me. “Oh, go ahead and cry! You were always just a waste of everything! A waste of time, money. Even your father knew so he bailed. It’s your fault he left! It’s your fault he stopped loving me. You fucking wasted my life!” She screamed at me, getting escorted out the door. Could they’ve taken her out any slower?

The doctor looked at me sympathetically before she walked out, presumably to call CPS. Once I was alone in the room, I wasn’t afraid to let the tears that I had been holding back while my mom was here fall. I put my head in my hands and sobbed until I felt the bed shift with someone else’s weight and a hand gently rubbing my lower back. I took a few deep breaths and then, with the realization of who was next to me, leaned into their touch. Vic moved so that he was hugging me and rubbing my back as I tried to calm myself down with my head in the crook of his neck.

“It’s true!” I finally gasped out. “Everything she said. . It’s all true! I am worthless. I was always the reason my dad left. I ruined her life.” I told him, hearing how raspy my voice sounded from the sobs that had previously escaped my throat.

“It’s not true Kellin.” Vic whispered. “You didn’t ruin her life. She started all this- she ruined her life. You don’t know that you were the reason your dad left either. You were a baby Kellin, that couldn’t have been your fault. And you aren’t worthless to me. .” Vic said, his voice trailing off slightly at the end.

“She’s in trouble because of me.” I said, pulling out of Vic’s embrace so that I could see his face. “She’s my mom, Vic. I love her, even though she’s treated me badly. And now she’s going to be thrown in jail like some common criminal and it’s my entire fault… Because I couldn’t think of what she would say if she were asked!” I said.

“Kellin, she can be upset, but she shouldn’t hit you. Period. No parent should do that to a child, especially not a mother. It’s not your fault that she’s getting in trouble for something illegal she’s doing.” Vic told me, calmly reaching and wiping the tears that were still streaming down my cheeks.

“Thank you.” I whispered as there was a knock on the door. I grabbed Vic’s arm, squeezing it tightly as two police officers walked through the door. What’s with these people not waiting for a response?

“Which one of you is Kellin Quinn?” The bigger of the two men spoke, looking between me and the tanner boy beside me.

“I am.” I said, after clearing my throat.

The second officer laughed boisterously as he looked at me. “Of course you are son!” He exclaimed loudly, making me clutch Vic’s arm tighter. “You look just like your father!” He commented, searching my face for something.

“Thanks?” I questioned unsure of whether or not it was meant to be taken as a compliment. I also wondered how he knew my “father”.

“Anyways, we have a few questions to ask you Mr. Quinn.” The first man spoke again, glaring at his partner who suddenly looked sheepish. “First, how did you really get those bruises?”

“M-my mom.” I stuttered, looking down as Vic laced our fingers together and squeezed them gently, letting me know he was here. “S-she hit me.”

“Right, and how long exactly has she been hitting you? He asked, as he wrote something down in a notepad.

“Since my dad l-left.” I answered honestly, feeling scared of what was going to happen to me if my mom did or didn’t get in trouble. I knew if she didn’t, I’d be dead.

“What?!” The shorter officer practically yelped, looking at me in horror. “That long? Kellin, why didn’t you tell anyone?” He asked me.

“It became a normal thing. It doesn’t hurt that much anymore.” I said looking down at my pale fingers that were intertwined with Vic’s. I felt uncomfortable than I normally should with this officer knowing so much.

“Do you have any other relatives in the state? Or anyone you can stay with?” The officer that had originally been asking the questions asked gruffly.

I had to think about this question for a while. “Y-yeah. I think my friend Alex would be alright with me staying with him. I m-mean, I’d have to call him and all, but I’m sure it’d be fine.” I said, silently cursing at myself for stuttering so much.

“Alright, well for now, get some rest and we’ll get back to you at some point. Doctor Neal said you can leave tomorrow but not until you for sure have somewhere to stay.” The seemingly young officer said quietly, effectively ending our conversation. “Have a nice evening Mr. Quinn.” Both officers said simultaneously as they walked out.

I groaned and lay back on the hospital bed that Vic and I were sitting on. I heard Vic sigh before joining me in sprawling out on the bed. “Everything is going to be okay.” I heard Vic repeat as I slowly drifted off into a dreamless sleep still holding Vic’s hand tightly in mine.