Status: Updates on Sundays

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

The Calm Before the Storm

“Winnie, is it working?” William asked, knocking me out of my sleep. “There’s been a change of plans. We fought them tonight- they have no weaknesses.”
 
“What do you want me to do?” I groaned, rolling over, putting the pillow over my head. Someone had obviously moved me from the couch, but I couldn’t be bothered with wondering who it was. “It’s not my fault they’re really good at being an opponent.”
 
“You need to become their weakness, darling. Pete and I are psychically connected, you know that, and I see how the new boy is with you.”
 
“I don’t want to hurt them, Will. They’re nice to me, and you haven’t been all that great. First with the leaving me behind, and then with the trickery and the deception and the I really don’t care. You know that? I don’t care. I’m sleeping. Ask again later, outlook not so good,” I mumbled. “Just come get me soon and we can leave, go to Disney. That sounds nice, doesn’t it?”
 
“Winona! For god’s sake, are you drugged?” He demanded. “You’re not allowed to come home until you’re such an integral part of their existence that when we take you back, they fall right into the trap. Am I clear?”
 
I sighed, more awake and trying not to cry. I hated being yelled at.
 
“Yes William.”
 
“Winona?” I sat up quickly. Joe was standing in the doorway. “Sorry, but you were talking to yourself and I was worried.” There were dark circles under his eyes.
 
“Sorry,” I mumbled, trying to discretely wipe my eyes. “I sleep talk sometimes. You can go to bed, I know I can’t leave. I might take a shower and practice with the whole future seeing thing.”
 
“It’s Pete’s turn, anyway,” He agreed, and went to get the vampire. I didn’t expect Pete to fling himself at me, though.
 
“Where is he?” He growled, one hand pinning me to the wall by my throat, the other pressing into the wall. “I can feel him in your head, where is William Beckett?”
 
“I- I don’t know!” That was the truth, and Pete must’ve sensed that because he let go of my throat. He didn’t back up, though, so I was still sandwiched between him and the wall.
 
“What is he saying to you?”
 
“He-”
 
“Tell the truth, Winnie. He can’t hurt you. I want you to be trusted.”
 
“He wants me to gain your trust,” I answered shakily, knowing by the look in Pete’s eyes that he knew William had just been in my head. “You have no weaknesses, only blind rage and the drive for revenge. I’m supposed to be your weakness. William always did say I wasn’t allowed to be out of my room for too long because of my blood. Maybe that’s what he means.”