Sequel: Zero

rewind

four.

"I know you're not blind or stupid," she said. "The first night we met, you had your suspicions, didn't you?"

"How did you know about Marco?"

"When I healed you, there was a connection," she explained, trying very hard to keep the concept simple. "Connections are everywhere. You give a little and get something back."

Ales was silent, steadfast in keeping his aim on her. She let the silence lapse, then squinted at him though the dark.

"Bristol isn't your average city, Ales," she said. "I know you know that."

It was true. Despite its illusion of normalcy, anyone who had been in town long enough would know that Bristol was anything but a typical city. Bristol had a life of its own, given breath by the multitude of creatures that took refuge there. Ales himself had never encountered one of these beings in the past and he was at a loss as to how to proceed. She must have read the crinkles setting between his eyebrows because she shook her head and gestured to the gun trained on her forehead.

"You could start with putting that away," she suggested gently.

He merely grunted and complied, sliding the gun back into place, not knowing that this would be the start of a connection that would change his life forever.